PDA

View Full Version : How often do you adjust your single and/or fixed chains?

RPS
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I have a beater single speed and a couple of tandems, but don’t ride any of them enough to track how often I adjust the chains. I know I go for years without adjusting, but I don’t ride any of those bikes as many miles.

If I started riding a fixed/single on a regular basis, how often should I expect to have to adjust the chain for wear?

If adjustment frequency already discussed, please direct me in right direction.
Thanks. Rick

bironi
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I just keep my antenna up for the feel of too much play in the chain tension. I like a little slack only. I ride mine year round, and replace the chain when it gets a bit noisy. I do keep it clean, and well lubed. I would go 3000 miles before worrying about a replacement. It also depends how much breaking you do with your legs. Hey a good chain is cheap (pc-58), better to be safe than sorry.

paczki
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I just keep my antenna up for the feel of too much play in the chain tension. I like a little slack only. I ride mine year round, and replace the chain when it gets a bit noisy. I do keep it clean, and well lubed. I would go 3000 miles before worrying about a replacement. It also depends how much breaking you do with your legs. Hey a good chain is cheap (pc-58), better to be safe than sorry.

+1. BTW the Phil clamping mechanism is really superior. I've had to adjust the chain far less since I switched to Phil hubs. Phil hubs and tubies, the only way to ride a fixie!

Ti Designs
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I tune up my fixed gear once a year, if it needs it or not.

paczki
10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I tune up my fixed gear once a year, if it needs it or not.

Do you only check your chain tension once a year?

Ti Designs
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Do you only check your chain tension once a year?

More like 120 times a minute...

1centaur
10-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Potm :)

rustychisel
10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Yup, you get to feel the right 'slap' of a well tensioned chain and learn when it's off.
You can go looser on the track and with all track drivetrain, a little firmer with 3/32 on road where the consequences on an unshipped chain can be... shall we say 'more keenly felt'?

markie
10-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I find I need to check mine once a week or so, which is probably just over 100 miles. Then I like to run my chain really tight. Bumpy roads and less than perfect chainlines caused me a few chain-drops in the past and now I like it tight.

The bumpier, the tighter. On my MTB i ride with the chain as tight as possible without binding.

RPS
10-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I’ll assume the consensus is that once a chain is adjusted it should operate for quite a while -- maybe in the order of 1,000 to 2,000 miles minimum – before it needs to be retightened due to wear/stretch.

If that’s not the case, please let me know. Without horizontal wheel adjustment I don't want to have to mess with adjusting on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing,
Rick

marle
10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I use a Surly Tuggnut to maintain chain tension

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Tuggnut+Chain+Tensioner+for+Horizontal +DO&vendorCode=Surly&major=8&minor=5

It's quite effective.

RPS
10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
marle, thanks for link but I'll be trying it on a road frame. I'm not sure if wheel slippage should be a concern. Besides, I'm not that strong.

Tobias
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
As I recall, there have been many references in past threads regarding rear wheels popping out if road frame is used for fixed.