PDA

View Full Version : Serotta on Mont Ventoux

velotel
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I was getting ready to head down and suddenly saw a bike that looked interesting. Turned out to be a ti Serotta ridden by a very fine looking woman. Then her husband/friend arrived riding a Cannondale; I have no idea what model because I know nothing about Cannondales and to be honest have no interest in them whatsoever. I was sure they were going to turn out to be from the usofa but no, they spoke german, or at least it sounded like german. Unfortunately I was getting ready to ride down and didn't think about shooting a pic of her with her bike until later so nothing like that for you Serotta people. Dumb of me but truth is I was definitely feeling a bit tired and probably wasn't thinking real clearly. So instead I'll just post 2 shots from there. One is on the way up on the side that I never see any pics of, the road from Malaucène. That's the road the Tour will go down next year. As a descent it's fast and way fun. Whoever comes over the top with any of lead of a minute or so is not going to be caught before Vaison-la-Romaine. Unless he's one slow descender and whoever's behind him is fast.

As you can see in the pics, the day was superb. Amazing for the 26th of October.

Climb01742
10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
great photos. and congratulations on getting to the top. just curious, what was the temperature at the top this late in october?

Pete Serotta
10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Really like the photos and that is quite some accomplishment. Tom Brynes and I are "talking" about doing it next year. If we start at dark will be be back by dark (I hope)

Viper
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Cool story, nice pics. I predict LA will be up Ventoux in first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ

"You never make a gift of Ventoux." ~ Eddy to LA

"Ventoux and I, umm, we're not friends." ~ LA

velotel
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know what the temperature was on top but down in the valley was around 22 degrees or so (70 or so for you) when I got back down. Up on top in the sun it was great and there were lots of people in shorts and t-shirts. I rode up wearing lightweight tights and a long-sleeved wool jersey. For the first third or so I was thinking maybe I should have put the shorts on with a t-shirt but only a little as it was still pretty early so I was comfortable anyway. And after that I was quite happy to be dressed the way I was. The road from Malaucène is much of the time well shaded this time of year and in the shade the temps were very cool. For the descent, I put on a polar vest and a windproof jacket and that felt great but about half-way down those came off. It was amazing how I could feel the temperature rising as I dropped down, and that despite carrying as much speed as I could manage. I love passing cars in the descents.
It won't take you that long to get up but it is hard. Definitely harder than the south side of the Izoard and the north side of the Madeleine, both of which I did this year, amongst others. But I still think the north side of the Galibier is harder even though grades are comparable but the Galibier has another 500 vertical meters of climbing over the Ventoux and that in my thinking is enormous.
The Ventoux is a terrific ride though I think I'd rather do it by the north route rather than the south side from Bédoin, the route the races go up. Note I haven't done the south side but on the north side the road's always twisting out of sight and it's always a surprise. The last part of the south side looks like one long visible slog. I'll still do it next year though. I was going to go down that side then loop around back to Malaucène and back to Vaison but I wanted to see what the descent the Tour will do is like. Can't wait to see those guys flying down.

Karin Kirk
10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Great description and photos, thanks!

I think not taking a photo of "a fine looking woman" and her Ti Serotta, while her Cannondale husband was looking on, was a good decision on your part. :cool:

jeffg
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Great description and photos, thanks!

I think not taking a photo of "a fine looking woman" and her Ti Serotta, while her Cannondale husband was looking on, was a good decision on your part. :cool:

Yes, though it depends on the audience.

I left my bike at home on our honeymoon (8 years ago) and was looking at some Euro bike in Vaison just after lunch when my bride slapped my ass and laughed -- "I know you are looking at her bike (the woman was across the street and I hadn't seen her yet) but now I am jealous of the bike" ... My wife still laughs about it (but is now jealous of my bikes, including my Ti Serotta that has now summited Ventoux)

BTW, the ride up Ventoux is awesome and you had great luck for this time of year ... in June two years ago I summited before 7:00 am and my feet were frozen on the way down without shoes covers ... I have done all three ascents and I prefer Bedoin, and descending to Maulacene ... There is a great cyclo in June where you ride from Bedoin, descend to Maulacene, circle around to Sault and go the longest and easiest path back to Chalet Reynard, descend the Bedoin side and go back through the col de la chaine back to Beaumes de Venise.

http://www.sportcommunication.com/GT/epreuve2.php?langue=1&trophee=129

BoulderGeek
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Do you mind if I ask how you got to the Ventoux?

When I was in the Luberon last summer, I wanted to go to the Ventoux. But, I was told that the trains didn't go there, and I couldn't take my bike on the bus.

Did you have a rental car?

Mont Ventoux still eludes me after three cycling trips to France. I will bag it one of these days. Looks like you had a lovely day!

As a contrast and study of opposites, here's a pic of the South Pole.

jeffg
10-27-2008, 03:27 PM

When I was in the Luberon last summer, I wanted to go to the Ventoux. But, I was told that the trains didn't go there, and I couldn't take my bike on the bus.

Mont Ventoux still eludes me after three cycling trips to France. I will bag it one of these days. Looks like you had a lovely day!

Wow!

I have always had a rental car in this area but you can ride from the Avignon TGV station (40km) if need be ...

hybridbellbaske
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Love this thread.

I have climbed Mont Ventoux twice -once in 2001 via Bedoin, and once in 2006 via Sault. Nearly killed me both times, but I suppose that's what you get when you try to haul 100kgs up a hors categorie climb!

Slight thread hijack- Hey Bouldergeek- are you still planning a trip around Australia and New Zealand when you finish at the Pole? If so- and you come anywhere Adelaide- make sure you look me up. My offer of a lunch at one of the wineries is still good, and if you are in Melbourne, I'm sure BBB would be good for a coffee.

hansolo758
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Great pics. Congratulations on conquering the Ventoux!

Elefantino
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
The tour finishes atop the Ventoux on July 25. No descent from the top. It is, though, a great descent that is guaranteed to ruin any brake pads in one swoop. I remember it fondly. Sort of.

Congrats on making the top! Hope you picked up your medal!

velotel
10-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, though it depends on the audience.

I left my bike at home on our honeymoon (8 years ago) and was looking at some Euro bike in Vaison just after lunch when my bride slapped my ass and laughed -- "I know you are looking at her bike (the woman was across the street and I hadn't seen her yet) but now I am jealous of the bike" ... My wife still laughs about it (but is now jealous of my bikes, including my Ti Serotta that has now summited Ventoux)

At my age (63) I don't think I would have had any problems if I'd asked to take her picture with her bike. Besides, he was eyeballing my Eriksen with enthusiasm, probably wondering what in the heck that old guy was doing with that bike. Meanwhile I was wondering what she was doing with some guy riding a Cannondale. Okay, probably not fair to Cannondale; I suppose they build fine bikes. But still.

BTW, the ride up Ventoux is awesome and you had great luck for this time of year ... in June two years ago I summited before 7:00 am and my feet were frozen on the way down without shoes covers ... I have done all three ascents and I prefer Bedoin, and descending to Maulacene ... There is a great cyclo in June where you ride from Bedoin, descend to Maulacene, circle around to Sault and go the longest and easiest path back to Chalet Reynard, descend the Bedoin side and go back through the col de la chaine back to Beaumes de Venise.

Actually it wasn't a matter of luck; I live here (in France) and knew it was going to be a beautiful day. They were also calling for no wind and that made me quite happy. Sounds like another of the typical cyclosport events that are all over France. I've never done one; I just ride whenever and as much as I can. Actually my idea was to do a double Ventoux but I quickly realized that the two plus weeks of not so much riding had made a serious dent in my form and thus a double was totally out of the question. That's the problem, or one problem perhaps, with getting old: loosing form happens too quickly while gaining form seems to take way too long. I read on Pez where some guy did 11 ascents from Bédoin in one day! Anyway maybe next year I'll be able to bag a double.

velotel
10-28-2008, 01:18 AM
I drove. I live here, near Grenoble, and left the house at around 6:00.

I'm surprised about someone telling you no bikes on the bus. I've seen people put their bikes in the luggage compartment around here with no problem. In fact lots of mountain bikers around Grenoble regularly use the buses to get to near some ride they want to do that ends back in the valley. But if it's a city type of bus without the luggage compartment underneath, then I can see why they'd say no. But otherwise from all that I know there is no problem. Those luggage compartments are normally empty anyway.

velotel
10-28-2008, 01:46 AM
One of the reasons I love riding the big cols that the TdF does, outside of the fact that I just plain enjoy climbing and the TdF cols are great rides whether the TdF exists or not, is the perspective that gives me just how amazing the pros are. I never cease to be amazed that they can race up those slopes after having already ridden 150 km and crossed how many other cols and then they fly up some monstrous climb at the end. Or maybe they do four huge cols in a row with a finish up the Alpe d'Huez and then the next day they're back on their bikes racing again. Absolutely amazing. True, those guys are half my age or less and that's what they do to pay their way so they train all the time. But when I'm in the midst of one of those climbs like the Ventoux, I have nothing but admiration for them.

And to be honest, I don't much care if they do drugs or not. In fact I can fully understand why somebody would want to. Maybe not even with the intention of winning but just surviving day after day. Like Simpson on the Ventoux. For myself there is many a day when a quick bowl is exactly what I need to get me up the mountain. Obviously a forbidden subject, especially in today's politically correct world though that sure wasn't the case back in the day as my son likes to refer to my old days. Ride some of those climbs and I think later that while you may still condemn anyone who drugs up for the race, you might also have a bit more understanding of the reasons behind the act.

Point is if any of you are dreaming of riding the Ventoux or any of the other great climbs in the Alps or elsewhere and you enjoy watching the Grand Tours cross them, all I can say is just do it, come over and ride them because after you've been there, I believe you'll have a new appreciation of just how amazing those riders are. I'm not saying you should sign on with one of the tour companies that follows the Giro or the TdF at all. For me following the Tour is the last thing I'd do; I'd rather have a good ride without the crowds then watch the race on tv at home. But I'm also someone who has zero enthusiasm for group rides. Besides they all seem to require wearing a helmet and since I don't wear a helmet, I'm clearly not in the right framework. But it is pretty wild to see just how many people are along the big climbs, something that can never be fully appreciated via a tele screen. Probably something an enthusiast ought to do once just to understand how crazy it can be on those climbs with thousands of fans along the way. And the Ventoux is a good one to learn first hand what the big climbs are all about.

velotel
10-28-2008, 08:07 AM
three more shots from Mont Ventoux. The first is looking up at the mountain from just outside Vaison-la-Romaine. I was a bit stunned looking at what I had to ride, both in how far away it was and its size. The second is looking back down at Vaison-la-Romaine from relatively high up on the mountain. The last is my bike on the summit, which was rather crowded with cars. The guy slumped over in front of the sign rode a mountain bike up and was apparently totally whipped and unable to move. My patience wore out, which doesn't take long, so I never did get my standard picture of my bike in front of the summit sign. I try to do that on all the cols. Not always easy actually, like here.

Karin Kirk
10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the extra pics! I agree that mountain looks daunting, but that makes it all the cooler to go out and do it.

After my first taste of riding in the Alps recently, I totally agree with your sentiments about the perspective you gain about the pro races. I found that riding up those climbs was thoroughly fun, but imagining having to race up (and down) - no thanks! I can't fathom how grueling that must be.

I recently found this great website that has profiles and stats for all the climbs in the alps - makes for great fantasizing and vacation planning.
http://www.cyclingcols.com/asp/colsframe.asp?m=-1&g=-1&c=-1&r=0&s=0

velotel
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I recently found this great website that has profiles and stats for all the climbs in the alps - makes for great fantasizing and vacation planning.
http://www.cyclingcols.com/asp/colsframe.asp?m=-1&g=-1&c=-1&r=0&s=0
If you want info on cols, try this site; there are few cols that I've not found on this site.
http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it/motore.aspx?da=az

khjr
10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Another oldie crests the Giant of Provence after carrying me 800 miles through the Alps. We started in Geneva and rode through 90 degree heat, pouring rain, snow (on the Galibier)...Absolutely no complaints from either of us - this bike is #1 of 1, the only bike I ride!

rounder
10-28-2008, 08:32 PM

I was going to make a dumb comment about using a 11x21 there because it is so flat. But when looking at the picture all i can think of is what it must be like there. It is probably light all day or none (all night). The temp on a warm day has got to be cold. Anyway, anyone there has got to be some kind of scientist and doing something important. Good luck man.

Louis
10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Another oldie crests the Giant of Provence - At the end of an 800 mile ride down from Geneva - 90 degree heat, pouring rain, snow (on the Galibier)...Absolutely no complaints from either of us - this bike is #1 of 1, the only bike I ride

Second photo is me, becoming another oldie now, I guess. Please forgive the vanity - that trip was the best of my life thus far

Neat pics. You look like you're having fun :)

jeffg
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
The tour finishes atop the Ventoux on July 25. No descent from the top. It is, though, a great descent that is guaranteed to ruin any brake pads in one swoop. I remember it fondly. Sort of.

Congrats on making the top! Hope you picked up your medal!

Hey, I never got a mdeal but the organisation of the cyclo have me bottle of red Beaumes-de-Venise and this :

BTW, another great site is www.salite.ch

BoulderGeek
11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I drove. I live here, near Grenoble, and left the house at around 6:00.

I'm surprised about someone telling you no bikes on the bus. I've seen people put their bikes in the luggage compartment around here with no problem. In fact lots of mountain bikers around Grenoble regularly use the buses to get to near some ride they want to do that ends back in the valley. But if it's a city type of bus without the luggage compartment underneath, then I can see why they'd say no. But otherwise from all that I know there is no problem. Those luggage compartments are normally empty anyway.

Mais oui, c'est bizarre.

I was able to put my velo under the bus from Bourg d'Oisans back to Grenoble when I needed to. Imagine my surprise after riding from St. Jean de Maurienne, over the Galibier and up Alpe d'Huez (sorry for pontificating, it's just fun to self-aggrandize on that wonderful, long day) and finding that there is no rail service in Bourg d'Oisans.

I was in Manosque/Forqualquier when I was asking about getting to Bedoin. I'm only a passable American tourist in French, so perhaps I didn't ask the correct questions. I was told "c'est impossible" from where I was. Of course, i was told it was similarly impossible to ride from the Aix-en-Provence TGV station into town along the motorway, but I did it with no incidents.

Perhaps I should have just gotten as close as possible on the train and evaluated later. Pas grave, I had a good time in Marseille, instead.