PDA

View Full Version : White Bar Tape Cleaning

Arnabio
10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
The title pretty much says it all. Less than 100 miles into my sweet new Ottrott, I dropped the chain up front (and, not inconsequentially, at least for me, took the first chip out of the beautiful paint). I stopped and put it back on. I tried my best to keep my hands on the hoods.

Currently my bar tape is not as pearly shiny white as it was. It's Deda Polar White tape.

I've heard simple green and terry cloth, Mr. Clean magic eraser, OXYCLEAN, powdered detergent, and shampoo. (also the $10 fix of replacing it, but that's not something I want to do every 150 miles).

Thoughts?

paczki
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's a useful thread with a lot of suggestions:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=48306

false_Aest
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Replace the tape.

Keep a pair of latex gloves or a few wet-naps in your saddle bag in case that happens again.

OR . . .

accept that white turns dirty

OR . . .

replace the tape with something dark.

goonster
10-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Have your soigneur change it weekly and stop fretting.

regularguy412
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
White bar tape with a bit of a tinge means you actually RIDE the thing. Don't worry about it. :D When it becomes really unsightly or ratty, change it. It's a good idea, IMO, to change it a couple of times each year anyway. Salt builds up underneath the tape and does ugly things to aluminum bars ( that is, if that's what you're riding).

Mike in AR :beer:

T.J.
10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I have found that spraying the tape down with alcohol and let it soak. Then spray a rag down with alcohol and wring the bar tape. Keeps it fairly clean between changes. I have a little over 9000 miles in this year and have changed my tape 7 times i think

Elefantino
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
You could always use your jersey next time. Jerseys can be thrown in the wash with a better than average chance of getting out the grease stain. If not, you're just out a jersey.

toaster
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
You've got to try this:

Dawn detergent and water with some ammonia.

Stir it up and get it sudsy and apply with a clean toothbrush til it gets frothy. Wipe with clean towel.

GUARANTEED!
:beer:

paczki
10-26-2008, 06:33 PM
You've got to try this:

Dawn detergent and water with some ammonia.

Stir it up and get it sudsy and apply with a clean toothbrush til it gets frothy. Wipe with clean towel.

GUARANTEED!
:beer:

I've heard that Dawn is the magic potion.

mike p
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I always thought it looked proper dirty, just ride it!

Mike

toaster
10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
I've heard that Dawn is the magic potion.

When combined with the ammonia, it is truly magical on white bar tape!

William
10-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Replace the tape.

Keep a pair of latex gloves or a few wet-naps in your saddle bag in case that happens again.

OR . . .

accept that white turns dirty

OR . . .

replace the tape with something dark.

Or...buy some Ivory white AR Leather bar Wrap.. ;) :D

Did I say that?

William

mflaherty37
10-27-2008, 06:43 AM
It must be blue colored dawn. Nobody knows why.

Arnabio
10-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Or...buy some Ivory white AR Leather bar Wrap.. ;) :D

Did I say that?

William

What's AR Leather bar wrap? I'm not familiar, but another thread just started makes me think that it's not surprising that i don't know about it. More info would be appreciated though...

Arnabio
10-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Anyone see the Cinelli Lumen tape? It looks interesting: White when it's light out and it GLOWS IN THE FREAKING DARK!

Check it out:

Unfortunately, the Cinelli website is some sort of javascript mess, so you'll have to click the link then go down to the bottom few choices and click "Lumen Tape"
http://www.cinelli-usa.com/content5.html

Looks fun for my commuter...

(and yes, I'm hijacking my OWN thread!)

Mikej
10-27-2008, 08:17 AM
never looks dirty, ever.