View Full Version : Link_O-The_Day

Too Tall
11-10-2004, 07:57 AM
http://www.velo-retro.com/peterjohnson.html

We all did this in High School.

Bruce K
11-10-2004, 08:04 AM
In HS? Yeah, right.

This looks like e-Richie or Dave K on a day when orders are slow and the snow is deep.

Well maybe not e-Richie, we know how long his back-log is. ;)

It is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. I envy guys with that much talent.

BK

William
11-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Umm, actually, my first project in HS metal shop.....I forged a fixed blade knife. Really. :) Instructor guidance and all.

Just try doing that today. :eek:

But that would have been a fun project. :)

William

Tom Robison
11-10-2004, 08:22 AM
They wouldn't let me near a drill in High School. In fact, my little school didn't even offer shop!

I do recall the obsession of drilling components during the 70's. It was crazy to see what you could drill to lighten up.

Tom

PBWrench
11-10-2004, 08:33 AM
I was into the drilling as well. I also remember riding for a time w/o a front der. and lever to save additional weight. Used to just bend down and lift the chain on and off the rings.

Too Tall
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
hahah, I used dad's portable electric drill and sat on the front walk hacking aways....Oh it was so cool.

Bruce K
11-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Too new to cycling to have done with with bike bits.

Now race car components was a whole other thing.

BK

BumbleBeeDave
11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Holy Holies, Batman!

This guy is gonna do great--until somebody's crank flies apart on a 50mph downhill and they sue his A** off!

BBDave

cpg
11-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Peter Johnson is the real deal. He's a machinist by trade and routinely makes prototype stuff for the bike industry. Last time I spoke with him, he had recently finished an one off ti crank set for an undisclosed bike company. Tom Ritchey routinely refers to Peter has the best framebuilder that he knows of. I've seen a few of his bikes in person and they are beautifully made. He doesn't build that many bikes. Peter is credited by many in the bike biz as one of the driving forces for oversized tubing. He has made bikes where he made everything- frame, fork, and components except saddle.

Curt