PDA

View Full Version : pull Burley with Fierte?

ryanwrigle
10-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Any guidance from Serotta on whether it is advised (or will impact warranty) to tow a 2 year old in a Burley behind my 2008 Fierte Steel? Is there enough torque on the carbon rear to matter? Is there any reason to be concerned about the carbon/steel joint?

thanks!

happycampyer
10-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Not sure what Serotta will say, but I wouldn't do it. I used a Burley trailer for years, and I attached it to an inexpensive 'cross bike. A hybrid (or a bike like an A. Homer Hilsen) probably would have been better, but in either case, the wider tires, gearing, geometry (designed for slower speed stability) and taller position--not to mention the beefier frame--are much better suited to the task.

Ti Designs
10-26-2008, 05:31 AM
That depends on a lot of things. A 2 year old what? If you're talking about a child, read on. If you have a 2 year old cow, forget it. The only real question when it comes to the frame is the attachment point. Burley has a QR with a coupling built in, which means that the load is taken from the rear wheel's axle. The rest is a question of torque, gearing and bike handling. Given what you've said, I can't answer that. I can tell you that some people will be horrified by the thought of you towing a Burley with a Serotta. As long as you have carbon wheels it's OK...

Gothard
10-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Silly question of the day. :beer:

A 2 year old what? If you're talking about a child, read on. If you have a 2 year old cow, forget it.

happycampyer
10-26-2008, 06:16 AM
....As long as you have carbon wheels it's OK...Exactly, carbon wheels with 21mm tires...

Ti Designs raises a good point--the attachment of the newer Burley's is different from the one I used. The older ones attached to the seatstay and chainstay, and not to the axle. I still say that, even if the bike can handle it, it's the wrong bike for the job (Serotta or not).

When I got my Psychlo-X, I had Moots put rack eyelets on it so that I could attach a Burley Piccolo. In the summertime, I put a flatbar handlebar and flat pedals on the bike, so it's basically a commuter until fall. Much more comfortable than a road bike would be pulling that weight at slower speeds.

SManning
10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I have been pulling my daughter with my Serotta Colorado III for the last two years. Pulling my daughter in her Chariot is my only chance to ride. I can't imagine riding a beater for the last two years, that wouldn't be much fun either.

I have never had any handling problems, except for the time a squirrel ran into my front wheel. I stayed upright, but Campbell leaned to the left and then to the right. I was completely flipping out, I righted her, checked on her and she looked at me and said, "More bike ride Momma, let's go!"

stackie
10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
I've done enough miles with my two kids in our Burley to break the Burley. The frame snapped two weeks ago. Don't worry, Burley sent out the new pieces without any questions. I do use the QR hitch mount. Love it. No scratches on my frame.

Anyway, I pulled my Burley with my road bike a couple of times. Shortly thereafter, I quickly built up the MTB frame in my garage and started using it. You are adding a significant amount of mass to your system and you will need some good brakes. The DA calipers which stop me fine, just didn't cut it coming down a hill with 80lbs of trailer attached to the bike.

Now I pull it mostly with my Lobster with disc brakes. Works great.

Would I pull the trailer again with the road bike? Yes, if I had to get miles in with the kids and had very safe places to do it. But, if you're in an area with hills or situations that require quick stopping, I'd think about something with a stronger brake system than calipers.

I can't imagine that the Serotta frame wouldn't be able to handle the stress, so I wouldn't let that stop you.

Jon

djg
10-27-2008, 05:04 AM
um . . . I've never had a fierte, but it's hard to see the problem. My kids have outgrown the trailer, but I've pulled three -- first the older one by herself, then six year-old twins (up until last year) -- with every bike I've owned -- my (no longer mine), Colnago CT1, my Serotta cross bike (steel), my old CSi, converted to a fixie. The older kid got pulled by a Trek 5200 which I had for one season. No Burley -- just a similar, but cheaper, trailer from Bell. None of my bikes was ever damaged, or even marred, by pulling a trailer.

If you have questions about the warranty, I'd ask the people who issued it, not the peanut gallery.

csm
10-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I pulled a trek trlr with my legend with no problems other than the back wheel getting very light under hard breaking.