PDA

View Full Version : topolino update and advice sought

jimcav
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
So, perhaps not surprisingly, topolino says my wheel cracks are impact damage and not covered (because cracks out near the brake track "have" to be impact). having sent them in last fall for true impact related damage, and since I know i have not hit anything riding them, I say BS, but what I say means zilch. what they offered is a discount to repair them--should be about $600 to get them back to me with new rims. Topolino advises i use them only for events--but i've done both centuries and ironmans where the roads were worse than my local riding--so no way i can trust that.
My question(s) are:
1) zipp makes the rim, should i contact them to see if impact is the only possibel cause (ie bum batch of rims, poor spke tension, etc)
2) the rear rim had 2 cracks near the outer edge, only on one side, and the same side of the rim had 2 depressions--no at the crack but within a few inches--looks like a golf-ball sized depression--anyone seen something like that?
3) i spent 1600+ for them, then 900 to repair them last fall, now another 600. do you think i can recoup the 600 if i fix them and sell them?
4) anyone here riding them with no issues, and if so what do you weigh? I weigh 170, and i loved the wheels until the cracking issues arose. if i fix them i will probably ebay them but want to advise the potential buyer that they are likely for lighter riders?

thanks
jim

fiamme red
10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Cute car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Topolino

http://www.delest.nl/media/img/DCP_4128.JPG

jimcav
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Cute car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Topolino

http://www.delest.nl/media/img/DCP_4128.JPG

but not that helpful to my predicament

rnhood
10-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't know which model you have but, I have the AX 3.0 and it is strong wheel in the rim. However, I have had rear hub issues. They are a little over a year old and, I have about 8K miles on them. The rear hub started making funny noises at about 4K miles and, I sent them back for repair under warranty. Topolino was prompt with the repair and, for several months following they performed well. The ride is very nice with these wheels.

About a month ago, the rear hub started making noises again, though not nearly as bad as before. I took the hub apart and, with the help of Topo on the phone I was able to repair it. The pawl retainer spring had slipped and, needed to have the detent reimpressioned. Right now they are sitting and, I have other wheels on my bike. As soon as I finish the two metric events this weekend, I will put them back on and see how they hold up.

If the rear hub acts up again, I will literally throw them away and, just chalk it up as an expensive lesson. They are not under warranty now and, I will not spend a cent on them. There is always a risk in buying boutique cycling items like wheels. I accept the risk and act accordingly. If I was you I would throw the wheels away and move on. Life is too short to stay obsessed with money and troubles. You can leave an appropriate review on the bike review site.

jimcav
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=rnhood] I will literally throw them away and, just chalk it up as an expensive lesson. /QUOTE]

the v39 became the vx 4.0
anyway, i've got 2500+ into them, which is crazy. so i was thinking spend 600 to make them good and maybe ebay them. the funny thing is their emails to me say in one sentence they are zipp's strongest rim, the same as for clydesdale versions, yet the next sentence is only use them for events.
I live above my means with respect to bike stuff, which is why I probably resist accepting the "lesson" you accept: if I did the logical extension of that is I really have no business buying this stuff. I'm done with topolino. I am trying reynolds thanks to a good deal here on the forum on stratus DVs

In my defense, neither topolino or the shop that sold these had them marketed as fragile race only--in fact they trumpeted the no weight limit aspect.

thanks
jim

cadence90
10-24-2008, 09:11 PM
So, perhaps not surprisingly, topolino says my wheel cracks are impact damage and not covered (because cracks out near the brake track "have" to be impact). having sent them in last fall for true impact related damage, and since I know i have not hit anything riding them, I say BS, but what I say means zilch.

That is BS.
Show them a photo of Millar's exploding Mavic carbon/alu brake track wheels at the TdF start ramp.
What impact was happening there??? :rolleyes:

jimcav
10-24-2008, 09:44 PM
That is BS.
Show them a photo of Millar's exploding Mavic carbon/alu brake track wheels at the TdF start ramp.
What impact was happening there??? :rolleyes:

I have my honesty, and the receipt showing they replaced the rims last october for $896, and the email i sent to topolino the 4th of september

I guess i am screwed. I really did like their wheels--i've recommended them to everyone who asked or commented on my wheels.

thanks
jim

Kines
10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
as I've posted here before, I've had nothing but good from Topolino, but I've not used their carbon wheels, either.

Since you mentioned going to Reynolds, let me tell you that I bought one of their Solitude wheelsets and a spoke has broken on the rear on literally every ride they've been on, including after a complete rebuild. Currently in the shop awaiting next move from Reynolds.

KN

jimcav
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
as I've posted here before, I've had nothing but good from Topolino, but I've not used their carbon wheels, either.

Since you mentioned going to Reynolds, let me tell you that I bought one of their Solitude wheelsets and a spoke has broken on the rear on literally every ride they've been on, including after a complete rebuild. Currently in the shop awaiting next move from Reynolds.

KN

i road them toady with the swami's club ride and thwacked them pretty good--couldn't see in time in the group setting--at the rally point i checked them over and they were fine.

jim