PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed tool on 11 speed chain?

jbrainin
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
My new 11 speed Campy stuff is due to arrive tomorrow but there is still no sign of the new 11 speed chain tool. My LBS says their distributor has no idea when the new chain tool will arrive. How necessary is the 11 speed tool for the installation of an 11 speed chain? Will a 10 speed chain tool work properly? I'd love to change the parts over so that I can ride the 11 speed stuff this weekend.

Mr. Butterworth
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
It's quite necessary, actually. It has a special mechanism that will ensure the pin is properly installed and secure.

I have one of these 11speed tools and it's quite different from anything I've used before. Your bike shop should be able to get hold of a loaner tool to properly install your chain, if not one to keep immediately.

-dustin
10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Campy USA told me that they would be shipping out chain tools within the next 10 days. I called them Wednesday.

QBP will see them first, followed by J&B, then Oschner and SBA. I'm ordering mine from Total Cycling. I hate waiting, and the price difference isn't great enough for me to care.

Tom Kellogg
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
We got ours from SBA with our first 11 speed kit last week and you MUST use it. If you value your ???els, don't mess around.

jbrainin
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the responses.

My LBS told me that I'd have to wait for the new tool to arrive. I figured they were right but thought I'd ask anyway as I'm itching to try the new stuff out asap.

I guess I'll just have to swap the Centaur carbon ergolevers onto my other bike and use that this weekend. Not quite as exciting but I'm sure my hands will be happy with the change.

Tom Kellogg
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
By the way, the 11sp control levers are MUCH more comfortable than last year's. They are quite a bit more clunky looking though in that they have a Shimano-like bulge at the front. Work great though.

Dave
10-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I just got my first 11 speed build completed and agree that you must have the chain tool. I got my from Ribble in the UK for $147. When breaking this chainm the pins behave differently than any other I've used. When enough pressure is applied, the pin pushed through with a definite snap as a ring of metal actually breaks away from the enlarged end of the pin. The end of the pin then has no holding power and the pin comes on out with almost no effort.

Another thing of note, there is a definite difference in the operation of the '09 Centaur 10 speed ultrashift levers and the '09 Record 11 speed. The Centaur levers have a much lighter force and almost no noticeable clicks on the right finger lever, while the Record 11 version works much like the '08 model with more force required and very definite clicks. You can feel the difference, even when operating both levers with no cables attached.