PDA

View Full Version : Storing Brooks saddles...

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi all,

Since I have been trying out new saddles over the last 6-8 months, I think I have finally come to a great compromise...The Brooks Swallow.

Anyway, I am sitting (no pun intended) on 5 Brooks B-17's. I dont think I want to sell them just yet as 1.) they keep going up in value and 2.) I may want to use them again someday....

So, the question is: Is there a good way to store these saddles as to preserve them? Or, am I overthinking this and should just shove them under the bed and go about my business?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

fiamme red
10-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Just keep them away from heat, moisture, and sunlight. A cool, dry closet is fine.

SBash
10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Just shove them under the bed...OR maybe Proofide to preserve moisture in the leather and prolong the life of the saddle.

SB

WadePatton
10-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Send them to me. I'll stash them away properly. :cool:

It's just leather. Put 'em away dry and they'll be fine. A little goo every 6 or 12 months won't hurt. 20 years of storage can make one quite hard and unyielding but they can be restored--I know.

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Send them to me. I'll stash them away properly. :cool:

It's just leather. Put 'em away dry and they'll be fine. A little goo every 6 or 12 months won't hurt. 20 years of storage can make one quite hard and unyielding but they can be restored--I know.

Will using Proofhide on them every 6-12 months keep them from getting quite hard?

Thanks!

Steve

R2D2
10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Glad the Swallow worked out for you.
The more you ride it the better it fits.

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Glad the Swallow worked out for you.
The more you ride it the better it fits.

Seems to be that way with all Brooks saddles, some more than others...

They must get some leather from tougher cows than others...But eventually, they all break in...Just a matter of time.

Thanks for the good wishes. I do think its a great compromise between a modern - plastic saddle and a B-17.

Steve

WadePatton
10-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Will using Proofhide on them every 6-12 months keep them from getting quite hard?

Thanks!

Steve
oh heck yeah, absolutely. the old hard one I had to deal with was a NOS ebay find from the '70's--okay so it was 30 years old. I'm sure it had never been treated with anything and possibly stored in unregulated environments for part of its life.

and I remember the day it succumbed to my sitbones. my arse was complaining--I was ready to walk, and then "somebody in England flipped the switch". The discomfort was gone and she's been great ever since. It's on my ATB. It just developed sag this year. ;)

Blue Jays
10-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Place them in a clean cotton pillowcase before shoving them under the bed to keep them dust-free, which keeps leather in better condition.

SoCalSteve
10-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Place them in a clean cotton pillowcase before shoving them under the bed to keep them dust-free, which keeps leather in better condition.

I'm gonna do this right after I Proofhide them.

Thank you all for your great thoughts, experience, opinions, etc.

I may just end up selling them (sold a brand new one today-still have 4 used ones left).

We'll see...

Steve

Crazy Chris
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Steve, do NOT put your leather saddle in plastic. Doing so would destroy it.