PDA

View Full Version : Removing decals from carbon wheels...

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Just recieved a set of Hed3 carbon tri-spoke wheels. They are all covered in decals. Is there a simple way to remove them without leaving any kind of a mess-marks-whatever?

Any kind of tool, fingers, solvents, sloutions, potients or whatever? Or, am I overthinking this....Just pull them off and ride?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Onno
10-23-2008, 01:33 PM
There is probably some variation in glue from one decal to another, but I'd have to say, after removing the decals and the sticky glue left on the alloy aero wheels they were on, that it was NOT worth the effort. It took hours of rubbing, trying different solvents (xc ski wax remover worked in the end, but barely), scrapping, etc.

Bruce K
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Steve;

Unless HED has changed their decals in the last year, you can just peel them off.

It is a little time consuming as the vinyl doesn't give up easily, but they do come off.

You can then clean any residue with a little alcohol.

BK

Any other HED related questions you got, just ask.

Birch
10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Was thinking of asking the same question about Cosmic Carbones.

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Steve;

Unless HED has changed their decals in the last year, you can just peel them off.

It is a little time consuming as the vinyl doesn't give up easily, but they do come off.

You can then clean any residue with a little alcohol.

BK

Any other HED related questions you got, just ask.

Scotch or Bourbon?

Just askin'

Steve

PS: do you mean "rubbing" as in alcohal?

benb
10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
There is probably some variation in glue from one decal to another, but I'd have to say, after removing the decals and the sticky glue left on the alloy aero wheels they were on, that it was NOT worth the effort. It took hours of rubbing, trying different solvents (xc ski wax remover worked in the end, but barely), scrapping, etc.

Weird.. pretty much every set of rims I've ever had the decals just started peeling off by themselves.. once they looked bad they just got pulled off and a little degreaser would take the glue off right away.

BumbleBeeDave
10-23-2008, 04:03 PM
. . . on my aluminum wheels to remove the glue residue. You have to let it soak on the glue for a moment or two to saturate the glue and loosen it. I don't know how it would work on carbon, though.

BBD

93legendti
10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Be afraid:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081023/ap_on_sc/sci_scotch_tape_surprise

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 04:38 PM
. . . on my aluminum wheels to remove the glue residue. You have to let it soak on the glue for a moment or two to saturate the glue and loosen it. I don't know how it would work on carbon, though.

BBD

I still prefer Scotch...Not sure how it would work on carbon either, but I probably wont care too much.

Just sayin'

Steve

Pete Serotta
10-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I still prefer Scotch...Not sure how it would work on carbon either, but I probably wont care too much.

Just sayin'

Steve
:beer: :beer: Scotch for you RED (from TOM's stash) for me

BdaGhisallo
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Try heating them a little with a hairdryer and then peeling them off. That's what I did with my Cosmics and I got all of the decals off in about 30 secs!

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Try heating them a little with a hairdryer and then peeling them off. That's what I did with my Cosmics and I got all of the decals off in about 30 secs!

I was thinking this may be a good idea. Just seemed like it would help and maybe they would peel off cleaner.

I also thought if there was any residue left to try a citric degreaser...But, Im not the brightest person when it comes to stuff like this usually.

Thanks,

Steve

Bruce K
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes, I meant rubbing alcohol. :rolleyes: :crap:

I didn't find it necessary to use the hair dryer method but it would probably work. I just didn't like the idea of heating a carbon wheel.

Once you get the edge of each letter they come off pretty cleanly.

BK

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Yes, I meant rubbing alcohol. :rolleyes: :crap:

I didn't find it necessary to use the hair dryer method but it would probably work. I just didn't like the idea of heating a carbon wheel.

Once you get the edge of each letter they come off pretty cleanly.

BK

Bruce,

You seem to be the HED wheel expert around here....The wheelset I got do not look anything like the wheelset on their website (graphically,decal-wise).

Did I get an 2009 version? There are HED graphics all around the wheel and a big 3 on one of the spokes. 8 seperate decals on each wheel. Its very garish.

Clues?

Thanks,

Steve

PS: I'll PM you as well.

Bruce K
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Steve;

I answered your PM.

Can you post a picture?

I am thinking these are either an 09 graphic as you guessed or a competiton graphic that ended up in your hands.

Once I see a picture, I will try to get an answer from HED.

That is, unless you plan to just remove them in any case.

I'd like to see the picture anyway. Just for fun.

BK

SoCalSteve
10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Steve;

I answered your PM.

Can you post a picture?

I am thinking these are either an 09 graphic as you guessed or a competiton graphic that ended up in your hands.

Once I see a picture, I will try to get an answer from HED.

That is, unless you plan to just remove them in any case.

I'd like to see the picture anyway. Just for fun.

BK

PM'ed you back.

Thanks, you answered my questions!