PDA

View Full Version : OT: How bout them Phillies!

johnnymossville
10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
I know at least Ray and I are happy this morning about the win last night. :)

Richard
10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Make that three of us...I have been a long suffering fan for years. I was at the game where Luzinski (aka "Bull") muffed the fly ball against the Dodgers as the Phillies deflated in that series. I did live in Houston when the Astros shortstop made the fatefull error that allowed the Phillies to come back against them and make it to the WS.

csm
10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I haven't started making the cheesesteaks yet but it is a good start!

Ray
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Yep, a little bleary eyed today, but a good win. They had to have it. The rest of the staff isn't as good as Hamels and holding the Rays to two runs isn't likely for the next couple of games. I hope J-Rol, Howard, and Burrell wake up soon. No way a team that plays in a dome should win the series.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
me too + 1billion.
Go Phils!!! - do it for Richie (Ashburn).

I'll do some awful to myself if Moyer actually gets the win tonight.
Maybe jump right to week 6 (http://www.hundredpushups.com/week6.html)

Ray
10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
me too + 1billion.
Go Phils!!! - do it for Richie (Ashburn).

I'll do some awful to myself if Moyer actually gets the win tonight.
Maybe jump right to week 6 (http://www.hundredpushups.com/week6.html)
Moyer? Isn't Myers going tonight? He's always fun - could be great or terrible. Occasionally he's even somewhere in between but usually one or the other.

Don't do anything awful.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
DOH!
Man, Ray you oughta save me from my self more often, I could use it!
:-)

Maybe Myers'll go 4 for 5, w/9 rbi's tonight.
Ohhhhh, that's right. Pitchers don't get to swing the big wood in the AL. DoubleDoh.
;-)

rwsaunders
10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
The Phillies have never been the same since they lost Charlie Hustle...

ericspin
10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
YAWN..............this thread is boring. All this talk about the eventual loser of the series.

Yankees suck

GO RAYS!!!

Ray
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
YAWN..............this thread is boring. All this talk about the eventual loser of the series.

Yankees suck

GO RAYS!!!
Well, we are NOW. :cool:

Are you tryin' to talk SMACK!?!? Maybe Johnny or Richard or Larry will get into it with you. But not me. I like the Phils, they're the home team, I watch 'em a lot. But I'm a fair weather fan. I don't live or die with 'em. I just hope they play well so its a good series and, if they win so much the better.

But I'm enjoying watching the Rays too (must be their awesome name) - they're a fun young team. And they don't piss me off and make me want my team to spank them and teach them a lesson. They're OK. And their manager is from Hazelton, which is right next door to Jim Thorpe of Jim Thorpe and awesome mountain biking fame. So what's not to like. The dome - that's not to like. And the DH, but that's not their fault and they can play small ball pretty well anyway, like last night.

Here's to some good baseball!

-Ray

Richard
10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Rooting for the Phillies is kind of like being a Democrat in a Presidential election. Once in 30 years for a Democratic President (is that right?)...30 years since the Phils made the WS...hmmm. You think you're winning and then, POOF, you grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. That's why it is hard to do anything but turn away from the misplaced enthusiasm of any Rays fan (Liked them better as Devil Rays). As for Tampa Bay, you guys spoil all Philadelphia fan's parties -- Flyers, Eagles, now you're trying for the Phils. I think it's spelled PBBBT!, but I don't know.

No matter how good this Phillies team is, they find a way to take at bats like Little Leaguers when there are men in scoring position. Anyway, I am still optimistic that at home they may actually resemble the team that got them there and will win 2 out of 3 and seal it up in a 6th game.

cadence90
10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
What is "Phillies"? :)

I'm just waiting for UCLA to win the NCAA b-ball title, for the Lakers to win the NBA, and for Inter Milan to win Seria A and the Champions League.

And it would be awfully cool if JoePa won the BCS this year.

The rest of it is riding time, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

csm
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
they're looking good tonight. bottom of the 8th and just drove in 2 runs with a 3-2 homer.

johnnymossville
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
They sure are! Gotta keep the pressure on. It aint over til it's over!

Go Phillies!

csm
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
and then it's 10-2 going into the 9th.

johnnymossville
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
uhuh. think that's enough runs? :p

csm
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
one game away.... let the folding begin.

johnnymossville
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Woohooo! Gotta keep those bats hot!

ericspin
10-27-2008, 04:19 AM
This is making me ill. All year long my Rays have had hot bats. ALL YEAR LONG!! Suddenly they can't buy a hit.

Well, the Sawks came came back from this kind of defecit against the yanks(suck). C'mon boys you have to back up my loud mouth.

I will say the Phils can seem to do no wrong rigt now. Poor timing for my boys.

Ray
10-27-2008, 04:36 AM
This is maling me ill. All year long my Rays have had hot bats. ALL YEAR LONG!! Suddenly they can't buy a hit.

Well, the Sawks came came back from this kind of defecit against the yanks(suck). C'mon boys you have to back up my loud mouth.

I will say the Phils can seem to do no wrong rigt now. Poor timing for my boys.

Don't feel too bad. Same thing happened last year to the Phils when they ran into the red-hot Rockies and got swept. And then the Rockies had a week to cool down and totally folded for the Red Sox.

But actually, the Phils have been doing a LOT wrong up until Howard hit that 3-run homer last night and then the flood gates opened. Their pitching has been better than expected but their hitting has been terrible for most of the post-season, with necessary contributions from unlikely sources keeping them going. There were a LOT of games like last night during the season where the runs would come in bunches. Rollins gets on base, pitchers start pitching defensively and then SOMEONE, Utley or Howard or Burrell or Werth or Victorino would smack a double or a dinger and it big innings would happen.

And the pitchers really seem to have figured out how to pitch to Longoria and Pena, as the announcers did a good job of pointing out last night. Of course, they still have to make the pitches and they have been, but going in with a clear strategy helps a lot. If their bats stay good tonight and Hamels has a decent night, they SHOULD win, but its not like the Rays are gonna lay down for 'em. I seem to recall a pretty good starter on that side of the field tonight too.

The thing that scares me is that some of the players being interviewed last night sounded a little TOO happy. Like they've already accomplished something. VERY bad approach. They have a golden opportunity behind Hamels tonight. They could blow it so easily. And going down to St. Pete with a one game lead and Myers and Moyers throwing wouldn't fill me with confidence. Obviously, they're waaaaay better off being up 3-1 than down 3-1. But Philly sports teams never do anything the easy way.

-Ray

CaptStash
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Go with me on this:

Jamie Moyer is a Phillie
Jamie is married to Karen
They live in my neighborhood
Nice people
Karen is a an aerobics instructor by trade, a Notre Dame grad and coincidentally (I think not!) Digger Phelps' daughter. Even for a Notre Dame hater like me, you gotta' love these two.
Karen owns a gym in the neighborhood. It's called "GoLegs" It's a spinning bike gym. She rides, and rides and rides. Even in the real world.

So...yo gotta' root for the Phillies. :beer:

CaptStash....

Louis
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
They live in my neighborhood

Two can play this game :p

Albert Pujols considered buying a property just down the road from me and was serious enough about it for them to create an overall layout of the place, including huge house, three golf holes in back and a ball field in front. The deal fell through and he ended up buying elsewhere.

Cycling content: One of the few women around here who rides and whom I occasionally chat with when we happen to cross paths mentioned a while ago that during the off season last year she helped Albert out with some spinning advice at the gym where she coaches. She said that he is a very nice guy. When they suggested that he switch from sweats to cycling shorts he said something about being too self-conscious about his chicken-legs...

Louis

FL_MarkD
10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Now we have them right where we want them. :)

Nice weather up there Phillies. Even if you do beat us you still get to 'enjoy' that weather the rest of the winter. Meanwhile we will be down here in the Tampa Bay area all winter wondering if we will need the long sleeve jersey for the ride or just the normal short sleeves. :D

Hamels is now out so if the Rays can come back and win game 5 the real pressure will be on the Phillies. I hope they come back to St. Pete because I have tickets to the games.

Go Rays :hello:

Mark

Ray
10-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Now we have them right where we want them. :)

Nice weather up there Phillies. Even if you do beat us you still get to 'enjoy' that weather the rest of the winter. Meanwhile we will be down here in the Tampa Bay area all winter wondering if we will need the long sleeve jersey for the ride or just the normal short sleeves. :D

Hamels is now out so if the Rays can come back and win game 5 the real pressure will be on the Phillies. I hope they come back to St. Pete because I have tickets to the games.

Go Rays :hello:

Mark
Agreed that it gets a lot tougher for the Phils if it goes back to Florida, particularly if Longoria and Pena keep hitting. OTOH, taking three straight from the Phils is not easy to do even once you get past Hamels. And Myers and Moyer, while not great, aren't exactly slouches. I hope the Phils close it out in "this" game, whenever they finish it, but won't panic until they lose game seven, by which time it won't matter because it'll be over. I'll tell you though - I'm not that serious about this stuff, I just like watching it. But there are people in this are who will NOT RECOVER if the Phils manage to lose this series. But there's nothing more entertaining than Philly sports talk radio after a big loss - pure insanity spews forth. Its great! So there would be a silver lining. :cool:

Gotta say, I was really wondering WHAT they were gonna do before the Rays tied it up. It was clear they had to stop play, but if they stopped it in the 6th with the Phillies leading, I think that would have been it. End of series. Which NOBODY would want to see, even Phillies fans wouldn't want to win THAT way. At least not this Phils fan. I was almost relieved when they tied it up.

As for the weather, you can have your hot / hotter / hottest / humid / humider / humidist / hurricane / hurricane / hurricane weather. I'll take the four seasons anytime. Yeah, THIS weather sucks (and its worse today - windy as hell), but its also unusual. Cold and clear I like and we get a lot more of that than this muck. And, oh yeah, long as you started tossing regional insults, I've ridden down there and when the biggest hills you have are highway overpasses.... I'll take dis over dat anytime. But that's just personal preference. :)

-Ray

crossjunkee
10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not for the Phillies or Rays, but I do hope the Rays win one more. Just to keep the series going.

The best part about these two teams, they're not the Yankees or Red Sox!!!

johnnymossville
10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not a Phillies fan myself, my brothers are though. I did enjoy going to Phillies games as a kid though, especially when they played the Pirates. I don't even follow baseball that much anymore, but as a PA guy, I'm cheering for the Phillies and hope they can close this thing out and get it over with.