PDA

View Full Version : Marine Marathon Bike Spectator

yodelinpol
10-23-2008, 05:42 AM
My wife is running in the Marine Corps Marathon this coming Sunday in DC and i'm taking the fixed gear with me to be a sort of sag/cheerer for her. Any one ever do this at this marathon, other marathons, or a DC forumite that may have any tips/advice for me?

Not trying to pace her, just be there at certain points for cowbells, yells, and gels. She'll be in a pace group anyway. That would be a :no: anyway...

Thanks

sc53
10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
That is a very tightly policed race and race start--not sure the Marines will let you out on the course on a bike amidst all the runners. You may have to seek/follow an alternate route at least starting out.

yodelinpol
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Cool. I remember that from being a predestrian at the race a few years ago. I'm thinking that I will see the start from up on one of the service roads above the strat near the Arlington Memorial bridge. Then, take that bridge over to DC and head up toward the Rock Creek parkway to Georgetown area near the Key bridge. That is near miles 4 and 8 or 9ish I think. Then maybe head back down towards the Potomic golf course via Rock Creek Parkway south to Ohio Dr. along the river. Then back to the mall and capital areas.

Isn't there a bike path along the river starting near the RC Parkway and heading south past the JFK Center? If so, does it all the way to and around Potomic Park?

Thanks!

sc53
10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi--yes you are remembering correctly, there is a paved (but quite rough in places) bike path across the bridge and up the DC side all the way through Rock Creek Park and also down the other way to Ohio Drive and Hains Point. I think if you later try to travel the race route on your bike you will be OK, it's just the start that is so heavily policed. There are maps of the bike paths available at any local bike store if you need more detail than just sort of following your nose (and eyes) up and down the river.
Supposed to rain Saturday--hope the race is Sunday.

Mikej
10-24-2008, 07:44 AM
And its good enough for me! I did it back in 89' with a hangover just as any good boot PFC would do it! YUT! They may not like you riding a bike on course - remember these will be MARINES! on volunteer duty, so be careful what you say - different rules when a gung ho young salty Iraq Vet says - "hey get that freekin' bike out of here"

yodelinpol
10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
And its good enough for me! I did it back in 89' with a hangover just as any good boot PFC would do it! YUT! They may not like you riding a bike on course - remember these will be MARINES! on volunteer duty, so be careful what you say - different rules when a gung ho young salty Iraq Vet says - "hey get that freekin' bike out of here"

Oh yeah. I plan on staying out of the way. I very much respect the runners and would not do anything to interfere with their race in any way... and wouldn't do anything to interfere with the job of a volunteer duty marine. I know how to walk my bike ... just ask people who drive by me on big hills ;)

Thanks for the help ya'll.

Btw, any good bike shops in Arlington? Any likely to have a Dura Ace fixed hub lockring?

Blue Jays
10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Extremely unlikely you'll be allowed on the course with a bicycle.
You might be better positioned if you use the bike, car, or a motorcycle to hop ahead to various cheering points along the race.

yodelinpol
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Extremely unlikely you'll be allowed on the course with a bicycle.
You might be better positioned if you use the bike, car, or a motorcycle to hop ahead to various cheering points along the race.

Yep. I wasn't panning on being on the course. Hopefully the bike is an easier way to get to the points than walking and or finding a way to get on and off the metro at the right times and places.(based on my other 2 experiences with walking/metro)...And a heck of alot more fun way to tool around the ol town.. I plan on using side streets and bike paths to get around.

Thanks.

sc53
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Bike shop in Arlington = Revolution Cycles on Wilson Blvd. May or may not have that lock ring. There's another one of their stores in Georgetown too, right over the Key Bridge, and right next door to it is my favorite DC bike shop, Bicycle Pro Shop! Both of these are on Wisconsin Ave.

billrick
10-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Go here to see the course for this year's race:

http://www.marinemarathon.com/Assets/MCM+Course+Map+2008.pdf

It is really different from years past, at least when I ran it. Nothing on Rock Creek Park. Instead, it stays on the Virginia side of the river for the first 4 miles, goes down Spout Run Pkwy, crosses Key Bridge, and then heads up to the G-town Reservoir. From there it all looks familiar.

You'll do great on the fixed gear. I'd suggest crossing on the Key Bridge bike lane as your first choice. You'll be next to the runners and it drops you straight into Georgetown. If that is blocked off for some reason (unlikely, since it is a major pedestrian walkway), you can take the bike trail back to the Memorial Bridge. Once you are within the DC perimeter, you can zip around easily and catch the race. As the pack thins out, they will generally let you walk a bike through the race control areas, along with other pedestrians, like when you are near the Mall.

As you probably know, the most critical time to see a friendly cowbell is at the end of the Hains Point loop. That is boring and brutal. You can get there from the Jefferson Memorial (edit: oops) - Tidal Basin path area. Go to the WABA website for good maps:

http://www.waba.org/areabiking/maps.php

Bring a camera, the fall colors are great. And I have a spare lockring if you get desperate (but it is a Surly, not Dura Ace). PM me for more info. Good luck to you both!!!

:)

yodelinpol
10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Killer. Thanks ya'll. If she qualifies, maybe i'll be asking Boston marathon questions for the spring!

I got the lockring straight but thanks a ton for the offer.

I'll check out one of those stores for a bike map. We are staying on Arlington Blvd. right next to Iwo Jima monument, so Wilson Blvd or Key Bridge shops would be right in our area.

Thanks again!

billrick
10-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Excellent. What kind of bike will you be on? You've inspired me and I'm going to try and get out there, as well. I'll be on a black Surly 1x1 fixed gear mountain bike, Jones bars and Brooks sadle. (I'm so trendy.)

:D

rwsaunders
10-24-2008, 03:03 PM
so be careful what you say - different rules when a gung ho young salty Iraq Vet says - "hey get that freekin' bike out of here"

Correction...."hey get that freekin' bike out of here....sir."

ds97a
10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey Yodel,
Just my 2 cents and your mileage may vary but, I ran the USMC Marathon last year with my brother. We lost each other at the start, and blissfully we are both pretty consistent runners (timewise) so we were able to find each other at the end.

The most amazing thing about this race is how many people are there! My point being that, unless your wife runs on the outside of the crowd (and you guys pre-determine WHICH side, I'm not sure that you will be able to see her as she cruises by.

A quick side note: I had to run off the road to take care of natures business, and it was amazing to me to see what looked like a freight train of people blowing by me on the route, as I stood on the side. It was actually a little disconcerting to try and jump back in the fray...

Best of luck to your wife in the "long jog" and good spotting and riding to you! This is a great event! I bet a REALLY bright colored hat or shirt might be helpful!

-Dan

xjoex
10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Yodel -

I have ridden along on marathons that my wife has done a bunch of times. I usually just hit side roads and meet up along the course a couple of times to cheer her on. Luckily she's a fairly competitive ultrarunner and I can just look for the first 10 women and know she will be in that. Although she has done enough now that I don't have to do ride along on marathons anymore, which is good for me.

That said a track bike is perfect for DC, no killer steeps or anything. Have fun in the city, check out the air and space museum if you have some time.

Good luck to your wife!

-Joe

RABikes2
10-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey Yodel,

I ran the MCM back in 1991; thanks for bringing back some fabulous memories. Best wishes to your wife and have a fun time getting around on the bike!

RA

Don't forget to post how your wife does! :)

yodelinpol
10-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Excellent. What kind of bike will you be on? You've inspired me and I'm going to try and get out there, as well. I'll be on a black Surly 1x1 fixed gear mountain bike, Jones bars and Brooks sadle. (I'm so trendy.)

:D

I will be on a really tall black 80's nishiki road fixed conversion with a brooks saddle, fenders and drop bars and I'll most likely have a white helmet on. I'll be with another guy on a mountain bike. My wife will be in the 3:40:00 pace group.

I'll keep an eye out for the Surly for sure. We plan on being at miles 4 or 5, then 9, 11 or 12, 14, a few spots on the loop around the mall and capital, 20 just before the bridge, and then as many spots as we can on the VA side before the finish... like i said, that is the plan but will have to see..

"The most amazing thing about this race is how many people are there! My point being that, unless your wife runs on the outside of the crowd (and you guys pre-determine WHICH side, I'm not sure that you will be able to see her as she cruises by."

Thanks for this advice. I am more concerned with cheering and supplies in the second half of the race so hopefully it will thin out some by then. I remember it had thinned a good deal by mile 12 and even more later... her and her running partner will be wearing blinding almost safety green shirts. I can hardly look at them they are so bright :D so it should be a little easier to spot. I just hope safety green is not the hip color this year... :confused:
Also, hopefully she'll be staying with the pace group and I'll be able to see that stick the pace leader holds with the pace time written on the balloons attached. That's the way they did it a few years ago.

Again, thanks to all for the advice and the well wishes.

I will report back after the race.

yodelinpol
10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, the race was great, the ride around town was great and my wife qualified for the Boston Marathon. I am super stoked for her. :banana:

Thanks again to the DC area folks for the help. I was able to see her at lots of points in the race, and most importantly I was near her frequently for the last 6 miles or so.

-Kenny

RABikes2
10-28-2008, 07:11 AM
my wife qualified for the Boston Marathon. :banana:
WOO-HOO!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Congratulations to your wife! That is a great accomplishment!
Way to go!
Ritaann