PDA

View Full Version : refinish Ti frame

Too Tall
11-09-2004, 01:19 PM
$350 to repolish and decal a Serotta Ti frame, if anyone was wondering.

(drumming my fingers) Lezzz see, the furnace died last night. Call the repair guy or Serotta. Hmmmm?

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 01:43 PM
you may not know this- but what about frames with the reverse logos- can Serotta redo the bead blasting?

Also- I have noticed that some polished frames are way more polished looking than others. Is it just in the photo- for example look at the Legend on the Serotta website. There is one there that almost looks chrome?

Jason

LegendRider
11-09-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm curious where you got that price. I just traded emails with Serotta had they say the MSRP for a refinish of a polished Legend is $415.

zap
11-09-2004, 02:27 PM
TT, repair guy.

Use metal polish and newspaper (or 2000 grit sandpaper) and lots of elbow grease.

Never, ever sand ti dry if you value your hide. At least thats what I heard.

Litespeed finishes some of their frames to a high polish. But maintenance is difficult as it sratches easily.

Smiley
11-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Don't forget Tall One that all prices for this work include the alignment and check out of frame , Its a legal thing with Serotta not to just do the work but to make sure the frame is not bent or worse yet cracked where the client does not see this defect. So although the price seems steep at first it does include this additional DEFAULT service done to all incoming frames . FYI this alignment and check fee if done only is $ 125 .
:banana:

pale scotsman
11-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Sir T2 - Isn't your Legend a half matte/ half polish, w etched decals? Kinda like Jason/dirtdigger's. I've been thinking about getting subtle, maybe charcoal decals to cover the polished decals on mine.

I'd be interested to know if they can redo the beadblast finish as well.

Ian

Too Tall
11-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Was I complaining about the $$'s???? MOI???? How many cows would that buy in Zaire?

The furnace really did croak last eve.

Correct, mine is polish with reverse downtube lettering. SWEET.

This job is to re-furbish Queen's Polish Ti Legend with decals. I'm going to follow Zapster's advice and see how that goes first.

Tom Robison
11-09-2004, 06:04 PM
you may not know this- but what about frames with the reverse logos- can Serotta redo the bead blasting?

Also- I have noticed that some polished frames are way more polished looking than others. Is it just in the photo- for example look at the Legend on the Serotta website. There is one there that almost looks chrome?

Jason

I have a 95 Legend and a 2004 Legend and the 95 cleans up almost like chrome. The 2004 is more of a satin polish. As was explained to me by Ashton at Sundance Cycles, early polish Ti frames were sent out to a vendor to polish them, which did remove some of the Ti to accomplish the brighter appearance. The newer frames are not.

The newer polish Ti frames can be brought back to new with special Scotchbrite pads. (Not ones you buy at the grocery store.) I was given some when I visited the Serotta factory last year.

Tom

SoCalSteve
11-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Geez, Seven charges $175.00 to refinish and redecal a frame. Whats up with that? How could they chage that much? What do they do thats so special over a Seven?

Please inform me!

Steve

Smiley
11-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey Too Tall , why not take the queens bike to a body shop and let a mechanic put a buffer on that frame and see how much he charges . if you mess it up then try the Serotta route .

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 07:25 PM
I have a 95 Legend and a 2004 Legend and the 95 cleans up almost like chrome. The 2004 is more of a satin polish. As was explained to me by Ashton at Sundance Cycles, early polish Ti frames were sent out to a vendor to polish them, which did remove some of the Ti to accomplish the brighter appearance. The newer frames are not.

The newer polish Ti frames can be brought back to new with special Scotchbrite pads. (Not ones you buy at the grocery store.) I was given some when I visited the Serotta factory last year.

Tom

Tom, interesting. Have you tried to polish your 04 yet? I have flashback to refinishing antiques that I did not think would be bad to sand until I got into them. Thanks for the info- at least I don't think my eyes are bad now

Jason

Tom Robison
11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Tom, interesting. Have you tried to polish your 04 yet? I have flashback to refinishing antiques that I did not think would be bad to sand until I got into them. Thanks for the info- at least I don't think my eyes are bad now

Jason

Nope. Had the 2004 for 10 days and went down hard separating my shoulder to a grade 3 level and breaking the handlebars. Nothing else damaged. Been riding it on the trainer for the last 4 days.

The Ti finish is different between the bikes. Almost a subdued brush finish on the 2004.

Tom

William
11-10-2004, 06:10 AM
TT, I have access to all kinds of polishers, big machines that do Brass, Chrome, aluminum etc... I also could bead blast/blast any kind of lettering or image onto (into really) a frame.

Drawback? It would likley nullify your warranty from Serotta. :no:

I have some ideas for some interesting finishes and touches to try out when I build my first frame.

William

Too Tall
11-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Wooo Wooo. Road trip Road trip. Interesting Willm. I'm going to give elbow grease a try first. Voiding warranty???? What???? Quit being paranoid.

William
11-10-2004, 01:43 PM
I can already visualize Team Titan etched into the top tube of your Legend. If I get enough of a bite I could colorfill it with any color or bronze powder metallic your large heart could desire. ;)

William

Ahneida Ride
11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
One can easily turn the Serotta Polish finsh into Chrome.

All it takes is a Dremel, polishing tip and some Mother's Metal Polish.
and a bit of patience. The final product is spectacular !
I've seen this done !!

My LBS Guru made small Boo-Boo on his wife's Ti bike and had
to correct it fast or pay the Price. So he polished the Middle Section
of the seat tube Chrome and left an "S" in Reverse Polish.

It looks GREAT !!!! Serotta should offer this option.