PDA

View Full Version : USCF sticker.....

learlove
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
does anyone know where I can get the old style USCF sticker? Does any one have one (or more they'd like to sell?

Thanks - my current one is wearing badly on my flight bag and I'd like to replace it.

Pete Serotta
10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I see you are in NEW HOPE - -- Might want to give Tom Kellogg at SPECTRUM CYCLES a call...Someone around T town probably has a few..

GuyGadois
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Dang! I just stuck mine on the workbenk last week! Circa 1985.

GG

Ti Designs
10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I raced for 15 years, got one each year, never used any of them. I'll check what I have. If I have one, it's yours - I'll even pay for the stamp.

William
10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I raced for 15 years, got one each year, never used any of them. I'll check what I have. If I have one, it's yours - I'll even pay for the stamp.

If you turn up more than one, I'll trade you a Serotta Forum sticker for one. I found what is likely the last one in my parts drawer the other day.

William

Bruce K
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
William;

Somewhere I have a few Forum stickers squirreled away.

Such a deal I'll make for you !!! ;)

BK

William
10-22-2008, 07:09 PM
William;

Somewhere I have a few Forum stickers squirreled away.

Such a deal I'll make for you !!! ;)

BK

And here I thought I hit the jackpot with the "last" forum sticker!! :crap:

;) :D

William

paulandmonster
10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
send me your addresss ill post it out to you

RABikes2
10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
And here I thought I hit the jackpot with the "last" forum sticker!! :crap:

;) :D

William
Not so, dear Cuz. I believe there might be one or two "squirreled" away here, too. Looking to trade something? ;)

RA

Blue Jays
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
"...send me your addresss ill post it out to you..."Nice Forumite Of The Thread award goes to paulandmonster! :)

Lance Armstrong
10-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I have one or two that I am willing to sign and sell

Blue Jays
10-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Whoa. It's Lance Armstrong!

paulandmonster
10-23-2008, 02:26 AM
http://www.merciancycles.com/psmith.asp

William
10-23-2008, 03:55 AM
I have one or two that I am willing to sign and sell

Hey Lance!! How's it hanging? :banana:

Sure thing, one of your TDF Yellow jerseys and a signed Old School USCF sticker for my (fairly) rare Serotta forum sticker and you gots yer-self a deal. :cool:

William

PS: If anyone is referring to me for a trade let me know please because the OP has first dibs.

Bill Bove
10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
With the advent of affordable GPS units the USCF no longer felt the need to send the sticker out with your lisence every year.

I never bothered to look at a map to figure out how to get to a race venue, I just got on the Mass Pike and looked for a car witha roofrack and sticker on itand followed it to the race. One of the funniest things I ever saw was a line of what must have been 20 cars including all the Coors Light team cars making U turns in parking lots and gas station looking for the start of the circuit race the first year that Fitchburg went to it's present stage/omnium format.

DonH
10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
does anyone know where I can get the old style USCF sticker? Does any one have one (or more they'd like to sell?

Thanks - my current one is wearing badly on my flight bag and I'd like to replace it.

I may have one you can have. I'll check my sticker collection at home tonight.

learlove
10-23-2008, 02:18 PM
With the advent of affordable GPS units the USCF no longer felt the need to send the sticker out with your lisence every year.

I never bothered to look at a map to figure out how to get to a race venue, I just got on the Mass Pike and looked for a car witha roofrack and sticker on itand followed it to the race. One of the funniest things I ever saw was a line of what must have been 20 cars including all the Coors Light team cars making U turns in parking lots and gas station looking for the start of the circuit race the first year that Fitchburg went to it's present stage/omnium format.

yeah the good thing is the highways are always clear at 7am on a saturday so it was easy to spot the typical racer's VW rabbit or volvo wagon with the rack sticker to follow.

when I was 15 (obviously before I could drive) my mom was kind enough to drive me to the PA state championships that year somewhere west of Reading PA. lost on 422 we spotted a handa crx (if I remember correctly) and followed. he must have been lost too and almost missed an exit and swerved across several lanes to make it. following closely behind i though there was no way my mom would do that. but yep, she got that volovo sidways at 70 plus and kept it in a controlled skid all the way to the off ramp. Man to that point in my life I never though a 39 year old nurse and mother of 2 could do something like that.

Karin Kirk
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
yeah the good thing is the highways are always clear at 7am on a saturday so it was easy to spot the typical racer's VW rabbit or volvo wagon with the rack sticker to follow.

when I was 15 (obviously before I could drive) my mom was kind enough to drive me to the PA state championships that year somewhere west of Reading PA. lost on 422 we spotted a handa crx (if I remember correctly) and followed. he must have been lost too and almost missed an exit and swerved across several lanes to make it. following closely behind i though there was no way my mom would do that. but yep, she got that volovo sidways at 70 plus and kept it in a controlled skid all the way to the off ramp. Man to that point in my life I never though a 39 year old nurse and mother of 2 could do something like that.

LOL! Great memories of being the "lead" car that everyone was following and doing all sorts of U-turns and other erratic behaviors, only to have the whole parade try to follow. Was the CRX white, by any chance?

learlove
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
thanks to all who offered. I have one on the way.

Ti Designs
10-25-2008, 03:38 PM
LOL! Great memories of being the "lead" car that everyone was following and doing all sorts of U-turns and other erratic behaviors, only to have the whole parade try to follow. Was the CRX white, by any chance?

Ah, the Honda CRX. Perfect bike racer car for the couple who raced together. Could fit two bikes, two people and nothing else. Bike racers are mostly known for bumming rides off people (the same could be said for many sports), so owning a CRX means always having the perfect excuse - two seats, two people, sorry dude! At Killington I had one guy bum a ride from Bear mountain back to the condo at the top of the access road. He said he could fit in the back, but his face was inches from the hatch. The road between those two points is unpaved and I was going kinda fast and aiming for potholes. If the race didn't hurt him, the ride home certainly did...

Bill Bove
10-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh man, Killington. I used to have a three cylander Geo Metro 4 door. Four guys with four bikes on the roof, that car went uphill so slow I swear we could have ridden up it faster, VeeDub buses were passing us and honking their horns and waving their fists :crap: Pucci used to throw peanuts in the open windows to feed the squirrell under to hood...

learlove
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
got mine in the mail from C50 yesterday. Thanks to C50 and all others that offered.

avalonracing
11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I always like the old sticker too. When the went to that lame star I thought ***?

I also used the stickers to find my way to the races.

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Not so, dear Cuz. I believe there might be one or two "squirreled" away here, too. Looking to trade something? ;)

RA

Those forum stickers are, after all, the sweetest things . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

dvs cycles
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Since that is no longer the official logo are we able to reproduce some without legal issues? Back in the mid 90's a local guy here in SoCal made some small , 1", decals with permission from USCF that looked good on the seat tubes of my bikes.
Still have on on my Legend. Maybe someone has a resource for some?

avalonracing
11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I did know a girl who raced in the mid-Atlantic who changed the USCF to FUCS and put the sticker on the car.

johnnymossville
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I guess if you wanted, you could print your own on an inkjet using decal or sticker paper. Here's a link to a PDF file of the logo. Print Quality.

http://onxdesign.com/Images/uscf_logo.jpg http://www.onxdesign.com/Images/USCF_sticker.pdf

Ti Designs
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Since that is no longer the official logo are we able to reproduce some without legal issues?

I think the rights to that logo belong to Rober George, the photographer who started VeloNews (Northeast Cycling news back then).

Ti Designs
11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
OK, for extra credit (and a 1982 Campy shop catalog which I found along with my collection of stickers), who is the rider in the logo?

johnnymossville
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
OK, for extra credit (and a 1982 Campy shop catalog which I found along with my collection of stickers), who is the rider in the logo?

That's pretty amazing you know who it is. hmmmm. I'm going to take a really wild stab at it though. John Howard?

avalonracing
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Phinney?

avalonracing
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
http://onxdesign.com/Images/uscf_logo.jpg http://www.onxdesign.com/Images/USCF_sticker.pdf

Some guy with a REALLY skinny left leg?

johnnymossville
11-02-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, Who could that be? LOL

Ti Designs
11-03-2008, 08:05 AM
That's pretty amazing you know who it is. hmmmm. I'm going to take a really wild stab at it though. John Howard?

Right team, wrong rider. The photo was taken with the sun behind the rider, the glare behind the far leg makes it look that way. I've asked John Allis if he could dig up the picture.

johnnymossville
11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Wayne Stetina?

dvs cycles
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Which direction is the rider traveling?
I've always seen it as he is coming towards us not away from us.
After your left leg comment I can see it both ways. :confused:

Ti Designs
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
There was a PBS documentery that followed the CRC team in a canadian stage race in 1974 called "The Race for the Yellow Jersey". Small parts of that footage showed up on a video piece on Velo News called "The Raleigh Boys". Anyway, if you watch the film you can guess who it is by process of elimination. I have a copy on VHS but I can make a copy on DVD if people on the forum want to pass it along...

Bill Bove
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I got on DVD too. Still a blast to watch.

Bobby Philips?