PDA

View Full Version : 2009 sidi shoes

dave1215
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
will sidi have any new designs for 2009?

csm
10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought there was something on cyclingnews.com about new stuff? I am looking to get some mountain bike shoes to match my road shoes.

pdmtong
10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
it's the 'patent' leather look....very shiny

johnnymossville
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Shiny, including a shiny red Ergo-2 I think.

corky
10-22-2008, 04:56 PM
only the dragon srs (mtb version of the ergo 2) in patent red I believe

RABikes2
10-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I just received the new catalog from Veltec and yes, there were some new designs for 2009. If I recall while glancing through the order form, one thing I didn't see was the Bullet listed (it's been replaced). Are you looking for anything particular?

Thanks for the reminder ... that preseason order needs to be done and submitted tomorrow.
RA

Avispa
10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
The Ergo 2 line is getting White, Black and Limited Red "Vernice" (shinny coat, looks).

Genius 6.6 same as 07.

I don't follow the what's up with the MTB stuff...

..A..

Blue Jays
10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
The shiny finish looks OK although not sure how well it will last without getting scuffed to smithereens...
Definitely easy to clean with a damp rag, that's for sure.

bnewt07
10-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Sidi shoes are very strange IMHO.

They look shiny and fragile yet wear astonshingly well. Even my winter MTB boots still look great (when I get the mud scraped off) and hardly scuffed at all. They are 2 years old and get worn twice a week all winter. My glitzy blue road shoes also still look almost brand new after rather more years of use.

They also have this odd thing of getting more comfy the further you ride. When I first put them on I always kinda feel they are not quite right. Then when you ride they seem to just become invisible.

One cycling brand to which I am totally faithful. Proof that good value can be about initial outlay!

RABikes2
10-23-2008, 06:44 AM
One thing for sure, the price of the 2009 Sidi's did increase ... some to the tune of an extra $45-$50. Still a great value for an excellent shoe. Cyclists who can wear them and buy come back in and rave about how glad they are to have spent the $$. Always good feedback from customers at the store.

And yeah, there were a lot of shiny shoe photos in the catalog. ;)

RA

dave1215
10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
thanks all for that input - based on rabikes2 data, i may have to get 'em now.

saab2000
10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
One thing for sure, the price of the 2009 Sidi's did increase ... some to the tune of an extra $45-$50. Still a great value for an excellent shoe. Cyclists who can wear them and buy come back in and rave about how glad they are to have spent the $$. Always good feedback from customers at the store.

And yeah, there were a lot of shiny shoe photos in the catalog. ;)

RA

$400-$500 is good value? ***? I have a pair of Ergo 2s and like them a lot and got a really, really great deal on them. But paying retail for them is insane. Yeah, they're nice shoes, but they will only be good value if I am still riding them daily in 5 years. The price is simply outragous. Allen-Edmonds do not cost as much. Ferragamos do not cost as much. It is hard to get Ballis that cost that much.

avalonracing
10-23-2008, 07:34 PM
For the amount of use and abuse they take and considering good shoes are 100% critical for comfort and biomechanics I would say that they more important than an extra $400 spent on wheels or a frame.

And Sidi is the only cycling brand that I am completely loyal to. I've been riding them for over 15 years... Not the same pair... although I probably could have.

rounder
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a pair of sidi 5.5 and an old pair of carnacs. I like them both and agree that they are an important part of your contact with the bike and pedal stroke. But when you look at the materials and how they compare with other shoes used for other different everyday purposes, i don't see how they are worth the prices they are charging these days.

I get the feeling that marketers these days look at us obsessive/compulsive bike rider types the same as they do the golfing countryclub set and martini for lunch boaters. For me, that is why i try to take advantage of end of season sales and ebay when buying bikestuff...not that i have anything against the lbs.

GBD
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Wait till Colorado Cyclist has them on sale.
The Ergo 2 go for under $300.

RABikes2
10-23-2008, 11:00 PM
$400-$500 is good value? ***? I have a pair of Ergo 2s and like them a lot and got a really, really great deal on them. But paying retail for them is insane. Yeah, they're nice shoes, but they will only be good value if I am still riding them daily in 5 years. The price is simply outragous. Allen-Edmonds do not cost as much. Ferragamos do not cost as much. It is hard to get Ballis that cost that much.
Whoa, saab darlin', what I said was that Sidi increased some of their prices $45-$50 and that was still a good value for an excellent shoe. I should have been more clear as my hands-on knowledge refers only to the three styles we have carried; Genius 5, Dominator 5, and the Bullet. The Bullet is discontinued (from what I could see) and the Genius 5 and Dominator 5 are now priced at $299.99 ... a 2009 price increase of $50. All three styles have sold well in our store.

Today I reviewed all the Sidi shoes offered and their prices. I agree, the highend Sidi's have some hefty prices attached to them. I'm sure they will sell to those who can afford them, but personally, for me to spend that kind of money on a pair of shoes, they'd have to guarantee me foot massages in-between pulls. ;) BTW, the new Giau (3 straps) are coming in at $209.99 and look like a nice shoe for the money.

Ergo 2 -- $559.99
Genius 5.5 -- $399.99
Dragon 2 Carbon SRS -- $539.99
Dominator 6 -- $499.99

RA

saab2000
10-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Ergo 2 -- $559.99
Genius 5.5 -- $399.99
Dominator 6 -- $499.99

RA

I rest my case. These prices are incredible for a pair of shoes. It is, IMHO, a case of a manufacturer realizing they have not hit the top of the pricing possibilities.

I am glad you are selling all you can and I do like my Ergo 2s. But these prices are like last summer's oil prices and have nothing to do with the cost of the product. No, there has not been a run on Sidis at the exchange, but even so these prices do not, in my opinion, represent any kind of value.

This is Sidi probing the upper reaches of the shoe market to see where the top is. Nothing wrong with that. That's business. But it doesn't represent good value any more than a Ferrari represents good value.

Just my $.02.
:beer:

avalonracing
10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Thing about how much use and how critical to ride quality a $400 shoe is. Compared to an $80 carbon water bottle cage (where a $7 cage would work the same way) it is a no brainer.

saab2000
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Thing about how much use and how critical to ride quality a $400 shoe is. Compared to an $80 carbon water bottle cage (where a $7 cage would work the same way) it is a no brainer.

No question. And the whole debate has made me think. I own about 6 high-end bikes. And not very much high-end clothing.

Thinning the bike herd and investing in some good clothing might be worth it.

The Sidis are excellent shoes. But I won't deny having a hard time with the price.

RABikes2
10-24-2008, 10:28 PM
The catalog photos can show only so much, but I'll have the opportunity to actually see and touch the line this next Thursday. I got a call today from a new guy from down south telling me he was the new Florida Sidi rep. We scheduled an appointment. I doubt he'll have a pair for me to try on since Sidi's are too narrow for me, so if he doesn't have a Women's Mega, they probably won't work. I'll report back on what the line looks like. ;)

The new Giau is the replacement shoe for the Bullet.

Ritaann

TAW
10-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I've never had anything but Sidi shoes, and I'm frankly afraid to try anything else. I usually try to get a pair at Christmas, since Totalcycling has good prices on the closeout models. To me, shoes and bibs are the places I spend the most money, and the places where comfort is a premium.

itsalldark
10-25-2008, 07:34 PM
The price for a pair of sidi shoes has gone through the roof due to the dollar. They had a price increase mid summer and will have a huge increase for Spring 09. That's just life right now-----------Great shoes, no question, but it will sting a little more to purchase a pair.

ss-jimbo
10-25-2008, 07:42 PM
The price for a pair of sidi shoes has gone through the roof due to the dollar. They had a price increase mid summer and will have a huge increase for Spring 09. That's just life right now-----------Great shoes, no question, but it will sting a little more to purchase a pair.

But the dollar is at its highest vs. the euro in quite some time, so that reasoning doesn't really hold water. $300 for the dominator? Over $200 for a three strap velcro shoes? Yikes. Ain't gonna happen. Shimano shoes are a great deal for the money, assuming they don't raise their prices 20% in a year as Sidi did with the Dominator/Genius.

I also checked totalcycling after reading the above post. I hope their dollar prices are estimates, and that my cc does the exchange, because they have some Sidis at 119.14pounds = $212.28, but the actual exchange rate comes to $188.78. Maybe their site just doesn't update very often.

RABikes2
10-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Shimano shoes are a great deal for the money, assuming they don't raise their prices 20% in a year as Sidi did with the Dominator/Genius.
+1
I agree ... Shimano shoes are a great deal for the money. I've been a Shimano shoe kind of girl for a very long time. That preseason order was completed two weeks ago; Shimano prices increased $5-$10 for the 2009 season. There are some very nice upgrades in their line this year, too.

We also are carrying the new Bontrager apparel and shoes for 2009. It's their first year out and it looks like a nice line. It'll be interesting to see how the new product does in the market. The product is beginning to trickle in and we've received one style of bibs, one style of gloves, and two different styles of shoes and they've already been selling well. People are reacting positive to the Bontrager line.

From what I've seen ... prices on most accessories (apparel, shoes, helmets) for 2009 have increased $5-$10 minimum.

RA

max_powers
10-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Consider Sidi Motorcycle boots are about the same or less cost for much more material ??
http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/index.php?cPath=445&osCsid=de16fc1bcbe8f67191d35ee1ad4124c2

It's all about the price point and what they think high end market will bear.

The dollar has rebounded nicely. Hope Bike stuff drops accordingly

schadenfreude
10-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Ergo 2 -- $559.99
Genius 5.5 -- $399.99
Dominator 6 -- $499.99

RA

thank god for the internet. they're currently $220 for a pair, on pbk.