PDA

View Full Version : can i re-attach base tape (tufo)?

jimcav
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
(and please don't reply just to tell me tufo suck, etc). i pulled off a tufo from one of my wheels and the base tape separated from the tire. it is a S3 lite tire and nearly new--i'd like to salvage it if possible. I typically use tape, but do have some conti cement--could i use that to glue it back down???
thanks
jim

regularguy412
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I've not used Tufo tubulars, but forumite 11.4 recommends using Barge Cement to reattach base tape and separated tread on tubular tires. Another possible adhesive is an item called Jevelot. Surely one of these will suffice.

I believe there's a recent thread on this very issue.

Mike in AR:beer:

StephenCL
10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Jim,

In the old days we used to use 3m Fast tac, but I understand that it is now water soluble, so I am not sure I would go down that route.

You can also just send the tire to "tire alert" They will reattach the base tape for like 10.00.

Otherwise, I would just say a thin layer of your favorite tubular glue and clamp it together with some clamps for a day or two. I remember once at a crit I patched my own tubular tire, used some tubular glue on the base tape and caught back on for the last 10 laps or so.....oh the fearless 20's.

Stephen