PDA

View Full Version : 'Cross: wheel choices

lavi
10-21-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm looking at building up a cross bike, but cannot decide which frame type to get. One with 120 rear spacing, or 135 spacing. I'm looking at the On One Il Pompino for its simplicity and painful SS'ness.

With the 120, I'd just use track type wheels with a thread on freewheel. With the 135, obviously use wheels with the freewheel built into the hub.

So my question is about the durability of the external freewheel/wheelset in general. I used to race bmx as a kid and completely abused those freewheels without any problems. Does anyone have any really compeling reasons not to go with the same setup on a SS cross bike?

This is why. I already have both wheelsets and I need to choose. I'm leaning towards the 120 setup. My other wheels are pretty nice (mavic rims with CK SS hub), but I suck at cross and those wheels could be considered overkill. The other reason is that I'm considering selling the SS mtn bike with the CK hub/wheels. So then I can use my cheepies. I just don't want them to blow apart in the mud races in Portland and are coming up.