PDA

View Full Version : EMS - Electomuscular Stimulation

zray67
10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Today I received an advertisement from Hammer Nutrition about Globus EMS(electromuscular stimulation). I did a quick search on the web and found out that the product has been around for about twenty years and was popular(?) in Europe. I did a search on this board and got no hits. First, I was amazed. I thought people on this board had an opinion on everything. Especially, when it comes to fitness and cycling. On second thought, I decided that I should get the ball rolling and start a tread. I would be using the device more for rehabilitation than hard core training.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with EMS either in rehabilitation or training?

Michael Maddox
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Personally, I use a small TENS unit for rehab occasionally. Mine is a two-pair unit that does a pretty good job around my knees. Even so, it can be set at levels that are painful, if quite comical to watch. I am happier with my purchase of The Stick (massage roller) from the creator up at Six-Gap.

Although I've seen them advertised as "training aids," I would argue its a pretty awful way to work out. The current used to actually get muscular growth would have to be excessive and painful, imho.

Edit: Oh, hey! This is my 500th post!

rwsaunders
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Small world, as I sat next to a fellow that is one of the owners of this company of a flight from Pit-Phx last week. They have some white papers posted on their website and I'm sure that Bruce can help you with any questions.

http://www.cprmedical.com

Lifelover
10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I've been exposed to it at my Chiropracter. I assume it is just something he does to fill time.

I've been unimpressed by it over all.

Viper
10-21-2008, 08:25 AM
I own an Ortho Dx by Rehabilicare:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_/ai_62682139

It can help after surgery. The ads at the back of magazines that show how to get ripped abs from one of these units cheapens their abilities as they can help after surgery with increasing blood flow, decreasing swelling and assist in calming muscle spasms (low back syndrome etc). Training with electrical stimulation? That's the stuff lewd jokes are made from.

Ray
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I've had similar devices (maybe the same one?) used on me by physical therapists and chiropractors. The only claim ANY of them made was that it helps to stimulate blood flow to an area, which promotes healing. No miracles, just a small aid to an ongoing process. Nothing about being a workout aid in any way, shape, or form.

They can definitely be turned up to the point of pain. The professionals generally shoot for something just below the pain threshold.

-Ray