PDA

View Full Version : Chet Warman

tv_vt
10-20-2008, 07:50 PM
The Vermont cycling community lost a dear friend last week. Chet Warman, 64, died in a crash while cycling in Utah. See the link for more info.

Chet was a bit of a legend in the Northeast. He raced for many years and won more than his fair share. He was a great crit rider and for his stocky build, could climb pretty well. He was strong, savvy, and tenacious. On the race course, he could also be "feisty!" He rode locally with the Killington-Pico Cycling Club out of the Rutland area, and was a constant source of "color", friendship, competitiveness, and just good fun. Chet lived life BIG.

Last Saturday, a hastily arranged memorial ride drew 75 or so riders to Pittsfield, VT for a ride to Barnard, VT and Silver Lake. The first few miles were ridden at a leisurely pace, and then it exploded to race pace. Chet would have liked that. Friends from over 3 decades showed up, along with a reporter and photographer from the Rutland Herald.

As a friend of Chet's for 20 years or so, I know I will be missing him on a lot of rides from now on. But it's downhill with a tailwind and a huge peloton pulling him along where he's at now, so I know he's ok. More than likely, he'll break out of the draft at 150 meters to go and drop them all.

There will be a more formal memorial service on November 8th.

Thom

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081017/NEWS01/810170368

e-RICHIE
10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
The Vermont cycling community lost a dear friend last week. Chet Warman, 64, died in a crash while cycling in Utah. See the link for more info.

whoa - very sad atmo.
he and i were team mates for about 5 years and we all always
hung at his cabin before the prologue at the killington stage race.

A.L.Breguet
10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Sad. But thanks for sharing.

Blue Jays
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Tragic news. Godspeed, Chet. RIP.

tv_vt
10-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Richie,

It would've felt a little like a Stowe-Sachs-Garneau bike ride to you Saturday. Several guys showed up wearing the old lime green and blue and white, teal, and blue jerseys and jackets - Rick Balser, Mike Controneo, Glenn Goodman (all the way from Michigan), and others.

Very sad, indeed.

T

Louis
10-20-2008, 10:51 PM
"What happened was he was traveling at a high rate of speed on a 10-speed road bike and it looks like he may have lost control over a cattle guard," Brewer said. "Going over the bridge, he lost control of his bike."

Now that is a durn shame.

RIP Chet.