PDA

View Full Version : Rain jackets redux

gasman
11-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a Burley raincoat that I use for commuting and riding in the pouring rain. It's fine for what it does but it is hot and there is no way to carry it in a jersy pocket.
I also have one of those lousy PVC coats that just fits in a jersey and works for sudden downpours but is like a sauna after 20 minutes.
There are a huge number of coats out there. The Assos is light but stupid expensive for something that will last only a couple seasons. A LBS has last years Castelli Teseo for $40. New it is $75. It seems light and maybe OK for showers but not prolonged rain. As per Bill Bove's suggestion I looked at the Shower Pass Century jacket, but just on line. It seems light and should fit in a jersey easily and even though it is GoreTex knock off it probably doesn't breath very well.
Does anyone have experience with either of these jackets or should I bite the bullet and get an Assos that is beathable but not completely waterproof.Any other bright ideas ? I did check out the thread earlier on coats, I just want to hear more bright comments.
P.S. Being in Oregon I ride in the rain often, really often.

coylifut
11-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Your an Oregonian, have you cut the sleves off your pvc jacket yet? It really cools em down if you do it at the elbows. As a fellow web foot, I'm interested as well.

vaxn8r
11-08-2004, 11:14 PM
tsk tsk tsk....Dr. Gasman. Buy the Assos. You won't regret it. Every time you use it you'll say: "Wow! what a great rain jacket!"

I think Assos is generally overpriced for what you get (not that it's not quality) But in this case, what else really offers the same breathability, light weight, and portability? Not much else comes to mind.

dbrk
11-09-2004, 05:51 AM
My experience with rain jackets is that the ones that easily roll up for a jersey pocket also don't really work all that well. The Assos is a fine but I'd rather stuff it in an oversized bullet bag or a Baggins/Berthoud style bag. After all, you are commuting and riding a bicycle for reasons other than the MustLookLikeAPro sorts of vanity that infect us (most) all. (My own current style has reverted back to iBOBish anti-style along Rivendell lines...this too being at least a sort of inner statement of my frustrations with the way modern stuff clings and stinks...)

Have you ever used a Carradice cape? These are not as handy as a jacket but they are not as hot and wearing a cape on a bicycle makes you look like Crusader Rabbit. Any fans? Of cape or said Rabbit?

dbrk
aka Rags T. Tiger

Marron
11-09-2004, 10:41 AM
REI light Gore Tex from the early 90's. This one is made from a light G-Tex and despite the fact that it has a "tail" and pit zips will just squeeze into a jersey pocket. The cut is fairly tight, so theres no flapping. If its cold and raining, say in the 30's - 40's this would be my choice. This one has multiple patches from various crashes, but at long as I keep renewing the DWR it keeps working. If I was starting from scratch I would probably be seeking a similar jacket for colder rainy days.

REI medium Gore Tex from the mid 90s. This one is warmer, dryer and unfortunately heavier. It's also cut pretty generously so there's a fair amount flapping, which I hate. I use it when its really cold and raining, say low 30's with mixed snow and rain. There are no pit zips, which reduces the comfort range and there's no way it fits in a jersey pocket. This seems to be what most current G Tex offerings are like and I wouldn't replace it. Naturally, I've never crashed wearing this jacket.

Pearl Izumi Activent from the current product line. I got this one two years ago and it is probably most like the heavier G-Tex jacket. The Activent seems to breath about as well, but the comfort range is not that great. There's no provision for opening the cuffs so the only adjustment is the front zip. This works ok for colder rainy days and it's a great jacket for running, cross county skiiing, etc. I wouldn't get another for cycling, but I do use it a lot for other activites.

Rain Shield O2 rain jacket. This is a cheesy looking jacket made from some foam backed material that actually works very well. It's waterproof, breathes as well as or better than G Tex and is cheap cheap cheap. The only problems are that the material is relatively fragile and the sizing has gotten very generous over the past two years. It'll fit in a jersey pocket and is very light so carrying it is no problem.

Finally, the rain jacket I use 75% of the time, the Pear Izumi Zephyr. I've had it for over 10 years, it won't wear out and as long as I periodically renew the DWR, it sheds everything except heavy downpours. It fits neatly in a jersey pocket and obviously breaths very well. For anything down to the mid 40's it's my first choice.

So, you can tell it's easy to get carried away with rain gear when you live in Seattle. Given enough time, you seem to end up trying everything but coming back the basics. I don't like Burleys, but I see lot's or riders using them. They probably have a higher tolerance for the condensation and overheating. I see a lot of other riders using the Zephyr jackets, probably because they work well for our usually mild on again/off again rain. They also don't cost a fortune, which is a consideration for a garment that's going to take a fair amount of abuse if you ride regularly.

Ozz
11-09-2004, 10:57 AM
The only rain jacket I use is the PI Zephyr...I've had it for 10 years. I recently picked up a Craft jacket that is similar, but is not cut as closely, so it flaps a bit. I save it for commuting cuz it is that obnoxious yellow color, and my Zephyr is red....

Like Marron said, it works well for most weather, but not downpours....

My feeling is that if it is pouring rain, you are going to get wet. The Zephyr keeps the wind off you, so at least you stay warm.

FWIW - if it's pouring rain, I don't ride! Go ahead, mock me...:)

Marron
11-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Ozz mentions that Craft makes a jacket that fits more loosely than the PI, well the current PI Zephyr jackets also fits more loosely than the version from 10 years ago. For those of us who haven't succumbed to the ravages of the supersize me culture, it's getting increasingly difficult to find cycling clothes that fit. Even enthusiast brands like PI seem to be going with the flow and sizing to fit their increasingly heavy customers. I don't see any eveidence that cyclists are any different from the population at large in this regard: I mean, how many riders do you know that top 200#? 20 years ago that would have been unheard of, now it seems to be, if anything, the norm.

Euro duds can still be counted on to fit a fit rider but most US based brands seem to have given up on the diminishing numbers of lean riders.

gasman
11-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Coy-Thanks for the tip of cutting off the PVC jacket arms at the elbow-I'll do it.I am used to the rain, I get a lot of comments commuting all winter, even other Oregonians think I'm a little off to ride in the dark, in the rain and the cold just to get to work.

Vaxn8r- OK, I'm basically a cheapskate at heart and don't want to buy something that expensive unless it will last a really long time.

Marron- I also have a PI Zeph that is 10 years old, a few holes from wrecks but it is the coat I usually take if a vest won't do. I reapply DWR occasionally but like you said it really doesn't protect in a downpour which is what I'm looking to get.

Ah.. so many choices but none of them perfect-light,breathable and waterproof and .... at a reasonable price. I may have to do what a cycling buddy used to do years ago, just wear 4-6 layers and expect to get soaked.

bostondrunk
11-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Even the drunk will admit that if you can afford Assos, and if it fits properly, then it does happen to be really nice. I do actually own a pair of the tights and a roubaix jacket, and they are reaaaaally nice.
But budget constraints still keep me in Voler bib shorts. I'm hoping that my new consulting business here on the board takes off so that I can buy a pair of assos bibs next year........ :D :D :beer:

Alan
11-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I have a Showers Pass eVent jacket, a Burley jacket and and an older PI Activent jacket. I highly recommend the Showers Pass jacket. It has pit zips which are essential and the eVent fabric is great. I have ridden with in the rain and I was very comfortable. You can fit the Showers Pass jacket in a jersey pocket but it is a tight fit. I know $180 is a lot for the SP jacket but I think it is worth it.

Dr Moreau
11-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Showers Pass is a real place up in the mountains on the north coast of California - near Redwood National Park. It takes a lot of rain to grow trees like that. The guys who developed these jackets needed something light, compact, and rain proof for hours because when they went to ride the Showers Pass loop they were waaaayy out there. Their stuff does breathe well but you have to open up the cuffs and pull the bottom zipper to your sternum for the maximum - like on climbs.

I talked to a guy (Helmut the Porshe mechanic) who rode the entire Tour of the Unknown Coast Century - one of the 10 toughest in the US - in his SP Century Jacket. Even with 8,000 feet of climbing, he just used the ventilation system to either cool or protect himself depending on if he was climbing or descending. Nice to ride in May with your jacket on for 7 hours and not overheat!

And these guys offer a great money back guarantee. I have both a light Century Jacket made with the English Pertex fabric, and also the Elite jacket with the eVent fabric. I gave the other jackets I had away - the rest just don't cut the mustard.

Kane
11-10-2004, 02:18 AM
-I picked up a fox (gortex like) membrane jacket at Supergo in SmelLA last June. Good venting, good price reduce to $30 from $130. This is a serious jacket, but the model is discontinued.
-I like the REI Mistral for light rain repellency. It is very breathable lycra-nylon jacket. $40 from $130.
-The ARC'TERX light weight jacket of lycra/nylon was $130 from $200. This has the best cut and my friend wears one in the snow while cross country skiing. But it is a lightweight rain resistant jacket.

Cheers.

Kane

Too Tall
11-10-2004, 06:49 AM
What's your fav. DWR product? I use Nikwax on my coated nylon shells.

I genuflect to your convictions boy. Anyone who doesn't even blink before riding in 30F rain / sleet basically rocks.

gasman
11-10-2004, 01:49 PM
I use Nikwax also and it works well. I have found Techtron dWR spray is easy to use and works well.
Riding in the rain isn't so hard, it's just mind over matter; if you don't mind ,it doesn't matter. ;)

gasman
11-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Showers Pass is a real place up in the mountains on the north coast of California - near Redwood National Park. It takes a lot of rain to grow trees like that. The guys who developed these jackets needed something light, compact, and rain proof for hours because when they went to ride the Showers Pass loop they were waaaayy out there. Their stuff does breathe well but you have to open up the cuffs and pull the bottom zipper to your sternum for the maximum - like on climbs.

I talked to a guy (Helmut the Porshe mechanic) who rode the entire Tour of the Unknown Coast Century - one of the 10 toughest in the US - in his SP Century Jacket. Even with 8,000 feet of climbing, he just used the ventilation system to either cool or protect himself depending on if he was climbing or descending. Nice to ride in May with your jacket on for 7 hours and not overheat!

And these guys offer a great money back guarantee. I have both a light Century Jacket made with the English Pertex fabric, and also the Elite jacket with the eVent fabric. I gave the other jackets I had away - the rest just don't cut the mustard.

Do you like the light century jacket or the Elite jacket better ?

Marron
11-10-2004, 04:37 PM
I use the Nixwax wash in stuff for the PI jacket. It seems to last pretty well and can be revived a few times with a spin in the dryer.

BTW, if you won't ride in cold rain you'll never ride in Seattle, and that's just in the summer!

itsalldark
11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Nothing comes close to the assos rain jacket, especialy the new version. It is super breathable and packs down to nothing. Yep, it's expensive--but every time you wear it you will be glad you took the plunge.

gasman
11-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Nothing comes close to the assos rain jacket, especialy the new version. It is super breathable and packs down to nothing. Yep, it's expensive--but every time you wear it you will be glad you took the plunge.

For a whole variety of reasons I am thinking of making the plunge to the Assos. I have heard from a couple people not on this forum that it is really good and more durable than the old jacket.I did cut the sleeves off my PVC coat, it still doesn't stuff into a jersey that well.
But the real key is what does the Jerk think ? Any opinions Jerk ?

Thanks for all the feedback, that's the great thing about this forum. The bad thing is that I now lust after all kinds of bikes and gear I didn't know existed. :banana:

I'm Not Worthy!
11-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm lucky enough to have the North Face factory outlet just down the street. Last year I picked up this jacket that I love. Its a triple layer goretex with no lining or anything on the inside and its cut to be fairly form fitting. There are pit zips in case its warm out which is nice. The outside is the more slippery kind of goretex which I find to be better to shed water. Its definately heavier than an Assos jacket (and has more bulk) but for commutting in the rain its perfect. After all, I'm not really trying to stuff it in a jersey pocket.

I think this is the newer version of the jacket. I think its called the Ama Dablam. Its definately in the Summit Series though. Good luck!

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=113