PDA

View Full Version : Embrocation??

Steelhead
10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Its that time of year .... and I'm an embrocation newbie. Do you use embrocation? What temp range? When to apply? What kind and what warmth level? Does embro and un-shaved legs work?

Also - what is the difference b/t $17.99 fancy euro embrocation and Walgreens special Icy Hot or the like?

:)

Lifelover
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
MY Chiropracter uses BioFreeze. Seems to work ok but I really have nothing to compare it too.

dauwhe
10-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Pearl Izumi Am-Fib tights seem to do the trick for me ;)

Dave

runtimmyc
10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I like sportsbalm, hot and medium... but I've never used anything else. I think I use the medium between 55deg C and 40deg C. For below 40deg C to 20deg C I will use the hot.

Embrocation is fun to use.

I only use it when I race.

benb
10-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Tights please...

AFAICT no one has ever shown any scientific evidence embrocations do a darn thing.. they are completely mental placebos.. and some of them if overused leech chemicals through the skin into the bloodstream.

e.x. people have actually died from excessive use of "IcyHot".

I don't put my Amfib tights on till the temp hits in the mid 40s.. they feel kind of big and bulky, whereas my normal weight tights don't.

rwsaunders
10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Check out the BKN site for embro information. I'm not sure if it's any better than fabric knee warmers in the long run, but it sure smells and looks good. :cool:

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com

runtimmyc
10-20-2008, 10:12 AM
.. they are completely mental placebos..

I accidentally got some on my crotch area, and I can definitely say that it wasn't a placebo effect. :banana:

benb
10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow... the Belgium Knee Warmers knee warmers by Rapha... quality cycling value... $75-100 for knee warmers?

Steelhead
10-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm a long time BKW reader -- I like their recent write up of Mad Alchemy emrbo. I don't think I would pay that kind of $$ for knee warmers, particularly white knee warmers. I love my DeFeet wool warmers, this will be my fourth fall/winter in them and they are awesome, getting better with age.

rwsaunders
10-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow... the Belgium Knee Warmers knee warmers by Rapha... quality cycling value... $75-100 for knee warmers?

If you have to ask, say the Rapha dudes... :cool:

fierte_poser
10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Its that time of year .... and I'm an embrocation newbie. Do you use embrocation? What temp range? When to apply? What kind and what warmth level? Does embro and un-shaved legs work?

Also - what is the difference b/t $17.99 fancy euro embrocation and Walgreens special Icy Hot or the like?

Yes, I use Qoleum Low. This is my first year with the stuff.

Temp range: Any ride that starts at 50 or below.

When to apply: Before riding! My routine is to put on my cycling shorts, pull up the legs as far as possible, apply the embrocation to the legs...don't use too much...rub it in completely. Put on knee warmers, pull down cycling shorts legs.

Unshaved legs are no problem. Just rub it in.

I think the main difference between IcyHot and the fancy stuff is that the IcyHot is made to be applied when you are just sitting around on your butt, not excersizing. I could see the IcyHot being too hot if you apply it before exercising. The Qoleum low is designed to be applied before exercising and once you get going it provides a penetrating heat that is 'just right'. Also, the fancy stuff has a less offensive odor imo.

Good luck. Its fun stuff, even for the recreational cyclist.

Mr. Butterworth
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't believe Embrocations make an actual difference in how one rides, but there's a lot to be said for the placebo effect. Besides, I love the way it feels.

Check this stuff out - www.madalchemy.com.
For the embrocation devotee - not for the faint-of-heart.

And for those who share my irrational love of the embrocation - www.embrocationmagazine.com.

Steelhead
10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Now this I can get down with:

Embrocation is the essence of cycling. One of those things that just makes your world spin. Technically, you could do without embrocation, but that's not living. Embrocation is the jam on your toast, the honey in your tea. It's hot infusing carrier oils with capsicum at 2:00 in the morning. It's pure, it's life, it's just plain good. Simple ingredients make the best embrocations. High end, designer carrier oils, each with it's own unique benefits. Formulating and re-formulating the perfect ratio of essential oils. It's using only 100% pure beeswax to thicken your creation. It's science, it's spirit, it's alchemy.

Embrocation used to be just for race day, but lately has found it's way into my daily routine. Wake, shower, dress, coffee, embrocate, commute. It helps you feel cool on the hottest days and warms through to your heart when the mercury dips. Embrocation is the panacea for a ho-hum day.

Everyday, I grow more fond of the process, the creation, the quest for the "perfect" batch.

-Pete Smith
Creator, Mad Alchemy Embrocations

fierte_poser
10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Tights please...

AFAICT no one has ever shown any scientific evidence embrocations do a darn thing.. they are completely mental placebos..

FWIW, they are not 'completely mental placebos' [sic]. They have actual ingredients that make your skin/muscles feel warm/hot/loose/tingly/good.

You can argue that making your muscles feel that way doesn't do a darn thing in terms of making you ride faster, etc., but you cannot argue that they don't produce that sensation, because...um...they do.

BTW, have you ever enjoyed a good embrocation on a cool fall day? You should try it sometime. Then, report back to the group on your personal experience.

fierte_poser
10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Tights please...

AFAICT no one has ever shown any scientific evidence embrocations do a darn thing.. they are completely mental placebos.. and some of them if overused leech chemicals through the skin into the bloodstream.

e.x. people have actually died from excessive use of "IcyHot".

I don't put my Amfib tights on till the temp hits in the mid 40s.. they feel kind of big and bulky, whereas my normal weight tights don't.

Only one death has been attributed to methyl salicylate poision due to IcyHot use in excess:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19144600/

AFAIK, there have been no other reported deaths.

benb
10-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Yah they *feel* good.

But they aren't keeping your muscles/joints/tendons any warmer then riding around in shorts without embrocation.. you're not getting any better circulation and you're still causing joint damage.

That's all I was getting at.. if it makes you feel good, go for it.

You can rub gasoline into your skin, that will also make your legs feel warm.

It's just pure Belgian Logic, doing it to be "PRO" and all that jazz.

rwsaunders
10-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Yah they *feel* good.

But they aren't keeping your muscles/joints/tendons any warmer then riding around in shorts without embrocation.. you're not getting any better circulation and you're still causing joint damage.

Gasoline is a bit cheaper than $15 for 2-3 oz of embro, but it evaporates too quickly. :cool:

fierte_poser
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Yah they *feel* good.

Who said anything about better circulation or preventing joint damage? I just want to feel warmer when its cold out. :confused:

Mr. Butterworth
10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Who said anything about better circulation or preventing joint damage? I just want to feel warmer when its cold out. :confused:

Me too. With ya on this one...

Viper
10-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Arnica Montana Gel on the knees and muscles = :beer:

dekindy
10-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I had been thinking about trying embrocation and this thread prompted me to revisit. I don't ride with anyone that uses it and my favorite LBS does not have it and neither does a local running shop. I have been wearing DeFeet Knee Warmers, Bellweather Leg Warmers, and tights and am religious about covering my knees at 65 degrees F. and below.

I plan to use the embrocation in conjunction with clothing. Mad Alchemy medium is on the way and I will give a report from a novice user's perspective. $18 + $5 shipping.

tsutaoka
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
i also ordered medium cold weather embrocation from mad alchemy. after a few brisk morning rides i'll give my novice opinions too

r_mutt
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
interesting, can embrocation be used as an aid for warming up before an effort?

SpeedyChix
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
interesting, can embrocation be used as an aid for warming up before an effort?

Yes.

For CX races, I will use Sportbalm XXHot on days when it's wet and cold or really cold. Some folks will simply seal up exposed skin with vaseline for rainy cold days. If it's single digits I'll have leg warmers on instead of knee warmers. Knee warmers are an instant on for me for any CX type weather. But that's pretty much the only time I use it.

For simply riding on the road I rarely will use it. Just put on knee warmers somewhere between 65 and 60 (depends on humidity and sun or lack of), by 45 or so full leg warmers. Much lower and it's tights.

Others will use it year-round in variations of heat or not to simply massage their legs a bit before the ride. Using it in colder temps it does give your legs a warmer / looser feel and more ready to go in the cold.

As with most anything, your experiences and use may vary.

dekindy
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I used it once. I do not remember anything about the experience other than I will put it on last the next time and try not to rearrange my bibs after using the stuff. I washed my hands several times and was still not completely removed. I got parts warm that I did not intend to. Be careful.

gdw
12-09-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.godekrugby.com/Cramer-Red-Hot_p_147.html

It can also be applied to your chamois pad to prevent chafing.

oldguy00
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone want to volunteer to forward me some Mad Alchemy products to the great white north?? They won't ship to Canada.... :( :(

tsutaoka
12-15-2009, 10:33 PM
i also ordered medium cold weather embrocation from mad alchemy. after a few brisk morning rides i'll give my novice opinions too

i received my mad alchemy cold weather (medium) and completed a couple of rides. i must say "i like it"...it's definately a "warm" sensation which is distrinctly different than warmers produce.

false_Aest
12-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Unconventional Med.

It's the ****.

Still feel it from rubbing it on this morning.... 15 hours ago.