PDA

View Full Version : Front or Rear: Which wheel & tire contribute more to ride quality?

Louis
10-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Perhaps a silly question, but I'm wondering how much tuning is possible. For example, some folks use more spokes for the rear wheel - I assume that's because it carries a larger percentage of the rider's weight. Does that mean it contributes more to ride quality?

Just wondering.

TIA

RPS
10-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Depends entirely on frame and fork under question.

Birddog
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Front for your hands, arms, and shoulder comfort, rear for yer arse. You knew that though.

Birddog

bluedog18
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I would say the front, only because my front tubular went flat today at my cross race and rode it for 2 laps until someone offer a spare. I had a heck of a time steering around the turns.

I really need to put my pit bike in the pit the next race. Lesson learned

toaster
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
The tire/wheel with the most weight on it. That would be the rear.

Tobias
10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
For example, some folks use more spokes for the rear wheel - I assume that's because it carries a larger percentage of the rider's weight. Does that mean it contributes more to ride quality?Rear wheels carry about 60 percent of the "static" weight, but that's a small factor. The rear wheel has to transmit drive torque, spokes also have to deal with dish, and impact loads are transferred differently.

I don’t think it’s that simple. Besides, wouldn't you expect a lot depends on what a specific rider is most sensitive to? Some riders may be prone to hand numbness while others go numb in other places. ;)

I think you'd first have to define ride quality.

Tom Kellogg
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Front or Rear: Which wheel & tire contribute more to ride quality?

TIA

Yes.

benb
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Eh.. the rear but I don't think the wheel has much to do with it..

The front shouldn't really matter much.. if someone is having problems with their hands it probably doesn't have anything to do with what brand/design of frame/fork/wheel and more to do with fit.

Louis
10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes.

Thanks Tom ;)