PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Cage Opinions

Arnabio
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
So, I got my new bike, which I posted images of on the images section of the forum (linky (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51470)), and now I'm trying to figure out which bottle cages I should get, so as not to ruin the new hotness that is this bike. More that just looks (although, that is a large part here), I'd like them to hold my bottles in place. I know, I know, that's the point, but as we all know, presumably, there are some cages that are not so good at this. I've got one Zipp cage and that holds them well, but it's currently in Colorado, and I'm in Philly.

Any thoughts?

Frame is Ottrott with race scheme, white paint with blue tinted CF. The blue looks black except for in the sunlight or on closer review. Click the link above for images.

Thanks much!

Aaron

weiwentg
10-18-2008, 04:01 PM
A plastic bicycle deserves plastic cages.

Seriously, though, I'd recommend the Arundel cages.

goblue
10-18-2008, 04:42 PM
great on my blue Legand...and they work.

david
10-18-2008, 04:42 PM
it's hard to beat king ti.

zap
10-18-2008, 04:58 PM
king ti

Arnabio
10-18-2008, 05:00 PM
So far I'm getting one Arundel and on King Ti ;)

Actually, I really like the look of the Arundel's, although I'm torn a bit on the King Ti. This bike has a lot of classic bicycle appeal (in my opinon, of course), so a more classic-looking cage (like the King) seems fitting. If I were to go with the arundel, what are the thoughts on the side entry. I pretty much exclusively pull bottles with my right hand (as I'm a lefty) and it seems like it would be helpful.

Aaron

soulspinner
10-18-2008, 05:03 PM
New Speedplay carbons.

Arnabio
10-18-2008, 05:30 PM
New Speedplay carbons.

Those are a little heavy...I'm looking more for one point nine grams...

Bruce K
10-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Arundels.

Haven't lost a bottle yet and they look fine against the blue tint.

BK

cadence90
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Normally, I'd say Arundel for carbon or King ti, King SS, or Arundel SS for metal.

For your bike, however, with that minimalistic (very nice) scheme, and the thin black lines on the tt and dt, I would seriously look at the sweep, proportions, and lines of the Speedplay Nanogram.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/arnabio/AB-SIDE.jpg

http://www.excelsports.com/image200/Speedplay%20Nanogram%20Ultra%20Light%20Cage.jpg

I think the Arundel is a great cage, but it might look "chunky" on your bike.

Arnabio
10-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm leaning towards that Speedplay, as of this moment.

I also like the Zipp Cage:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/arnabio/Pics%20for%20posting/bottle_cage_black.jpg

Thoughts?

cadence90
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm leaning towards that Speedplay, as of this moment.

I also like the Zipp Cage:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/arnabio/Pics%20for%20posting/bottle_cage_black.jpg

Thoughts?
Speedplay: elegant
Zipp: fugly

$0.02.

dekindy
10-18-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.arundelbike.com/daveo.html?p=1.1.1.1

Arundel blue or white carbon.

Ripple
10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
great on my blue Legand...and they work.

+1 I have Arundel Carbons on my Legend. Light, look good and they work great.

Ripple

ahumblecycler
10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I use Profile Designs Karbon Kage (you can get silver accents) on one bike and Forte on another (great price point and amazing strong).

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
White carbon cage .... (http://www.bikemania.biz/La_Dolce_Vita_White_Carbon_Water_Bottle_Cage_p/dolcevita_whiteglasscage.htm)

How this .... I tried to grab the image .... but it was copyrighted.
Sorry !

I do like the Speedplays. Normally I always vote for King Ti .... but on
this magnificent puppy we need something special.

Try this too .... (http://www.amazon.com/Arundel-White-Carbon-Fiber-Bottle/dp/B000ARGCXC)

Blue Jays
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
King Ti on metal bikes.
Campagnolo Record Carbon on carbon fiber bikes.
Both look nice and are very effective.

Louis
10-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Speedplay: elegant
Zipp: fugly

Agreed 100%, but jeez, how in the world can that string-bikini of a cage possibly hold anything in place? First railroad crossing and see-ya, bottle's gone.

Caveat: I've never used the Speedplay, just going on looks. It is HOT and looks like a perfect match for that frame.

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2008, 11:32 AM
String Bikini ? ;)

and that is why I perfer the King Ti. One will never suffer from
premature ejectulation. The king's grip is tenacious. The Ti actually
enjoys bending.

cadence90
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Agreed 100%, but jeez, how in the world can that string-bikini of a cage possibly hold anything in place? First railroad crossing and see-ya, bottle's gone.

Caveat: I've never used the Speedplay, just going on looks. It is HOT and looks like a perfect match for that frame.
I've never tried it either, nor do I know anyone who has (I think it's pretty new on the market), but Excel (where I saw it) claims the Nanogram Ultra-lite (http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Nanogram+Ultra+Light+Cage&vendorCode=SPEDPLAY&major=3&minor=12) is far stronger than any other ultra-light cage on the market.

There is also the standard Nanogram (http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Nanogram+Standard+Cage&vendorCode=SPEDPLAY&major=3&minor=12), which is apparently a bit sturdier for road, mtb, tri.

I just think this cage would look absolutely perfect on that bike, with simple bottles such as white Polars, etc., and I really trust Speedplay products.

I sure would never recommend a New Ultimate, BTP, etc: those won't hold a bottle covered in glue.

If not, then I'd say 2nd choice for that bike, would be the Elite Pase' carbon, which does work, but costs $15 more, or the Campas, which are indeed the most elegant/work perfectly but just too expensive for my tastes (although since the bike has SRAM, the Centaur cage at bikesomewhere.com would cost the same as the Speedplay...).

The previously mentioned Arundels and Kings mentioned are definitely sure performers.

My caveat: I happen not to like the so-called "white carbon" (fiberglass top coat) products: somehow they look really fake to me.
But, it is true, one cannot argue about taste.

jchasse
10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I've tried a bunch and am a big fan of Arundel carbon...

10-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I've been riding the Speedplay Ultra-lights for about four months (about 3000 miles on them, and packed for four trips by air). Perfect bottle cages. They hold the bottle without allowing it to rattle or release, yet they don't grab it so hard that it's a problem to remove or replace. Extremely tough -- no problems getting jammed in a bike case by wheel bags. The finish cleans easily and doesn't show wear or rubbing yet. They never caused the bolts to work loose (which happens chronically with some bottle cages). I didn't buy them just for the weight but for reputed reliability, and they've completely lived up to that reputation. I wouldn't bother with anything else.

cadence90
10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I've been riding the Speedplay Ultra-lights for about four months (about 3000 miles on them, and packed for four trips by air). Perfect bottle cages. They hold the bottle without allowing it to rattle or release, yet they don't grab it so hard that it's a problem to remove or replace. Extremely tough -- no problems getting jammed in a bike case by wheel bags. The finish cleans easily and doesn't show wear or rubbing yet. They never caused the bolts to work loose (which happens chronically with some bottle cages). I didn't buy them just for the weight but for reputed reliability, and they've completely lived up to that reputation. I wouldn't bother with anything else.
If 11.4 says it: it's frns in the bank, mattress, bike, wherever. :)

WadePatton
10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
King fan.

And they polish up nicely with bit of toil. And his tire levers are superb.

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Please post Picts with the new cages ...

This bike should be on the Serotta Home Page ! ;)

mike p
10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm a huge Arundel dave o fan! Never lost a bottle, never broke a cage, and easy to put in and take out! Also the matte finish looks really, really good!

Mike

johnnymossville
10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
If you are going with speedplay pedals I'd go for the speedplay cages. The are sweet looking and light.

clweed
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Elite Patao Carbon

Satellite
10-19-2008, 03:23 PM
King Ti on metal bikes.
Campagnolo Record Carbon on carbon fiber bikes.
Both look nice and are very effective.

The Ottrott is a mixed material bike so now what? I have never seen a mixed material Cage.

Oh well, my vote King Ti; I will never use anything but and you can't go wrong.

bigman
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Tacx tao in silver and black rubber. Great cages.

Arnabio
10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
The Ottrott is a mixed material bike so now what? I have never seen a mixed material Cage.

Oh well, my vote King Ti; I will never use anything but and you can't go wrong.

While the ottrott is CF & Ti, the only part that you can actualy see is the CF, so carbon seems the way to go. Thus far I really do like the speedplay cages, the elite one looks cool but it's hard for me to justify over $100 for a cage (I know, at this point in the build that's a pretty small number, but seriously, it's a cage). The Tacx cages aren't that appealing as they're plastic.

I love my look pedals, I'm not changing to speedplay, so what's the consensus of a speedplay cage on a bike with look pedals? (For the record, I feel kind of dirty and brand-whore-ish to even ask that question)

Aaron

PS: This bike is incredible in everyway. I love it so much. Maybe that's just the endorphins talking...

cadence90
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Arnabio,
Personally, as I said before, I think the Elite Pase' carbon cage is better suited to that bike in terms of looks than the Patao carbon.
Most of these cages are available for less than listed prices if you look around.

But I think the Speedplay is the one for you.

Plus, you can then give us a long-term ride report and more pics of the bike and on the cages. ;)

Cages v. pedals? Not important at all, imho.

I think what really does look better, when matched, are the seatpost and stem (but your black/white looks great on your bike); and then the saddle and bar tape (which you've done); and to some degree the fork graphics to the frame (which of course you've already nailed).

I think the only thing I might change, when they're done, are the tires to plain black: I love the Veloflex All-Blacks (Pave'); if you really like Vittoria's there are several black models available.

gemship
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I have zipp's on my bike. They look and cost the part, the bike is a Cervelo so... I only got them because I wanted to be brand coordinated so to speak. However since having them I have noticed that they hold the bottles well and posses the slickest feel/action when it comes to taking out and putting in the plastic water bottles in contrast to my 6$ aluminum cages. Now if thats worth 50$ apiece then hey who am I to argue. Looking back I probably wouldn't buy them again nor would I buy a Cervelo only because I been there and done that but now that the money is spent I can't deny Zipp's are functionally the best, lightest cage I've had the pleasure of.