PDA

View Full Version : Unsettling story

A.L.Breguet
10-17-2008, 06:31 PM
"Cyclist found impaled on handlebars
By Richard Peace

Cyclist found impaled on handlebars (ALAIN JOCARD/AFP/Getty Images)
Reports from Tallahassee, Florida say a 49 year old man is dead after being impaled on the handlebars of his own bicycle.

The incident happened about 9:30pm Tuesday, local time. Police attended the scene after a passing motorist spotted the fallen cyclist, later revealed to be 49 year old Vincent Sullivan. When police arrived on the scene Sullivan was still alive, but he died later at the hospital.

An autopsy has taken place but results not yet released.

Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David McCranie said there was no evidence to suggest that Sullivan was hit by a car but that the autopsy should tell investigators more about what happened. They are appealing for witnesses to the accident that took place near Lake Lodge Apartments on Lake Avenue."
From Bikeradar

chuckred
10-17-2008, 07:03 PM
for being sure you've got your bar plugs in.

What a horrible way to go!

Louis
10-17-2008, 07:14 PM
What a horrible way to go!

Better to die doing something you love (let's assume) rather than wasting away in some retirement home blubbering, eating apple sauce and wearing a colostomy bag.

Bruce K
10-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Hopefully RA will jump in on this one as that is in her back yard.

I am very curious as to the details. I find it hard to believe one could impale themselves on drop bars and certainly not on cow horns.

Horrible no matter what.

BK

A.L.Breguet
10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I was thinking that perhaps he was a civilian, and had his drop bars turned up and around. I see this set-up fairly often.

Ray
10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I was thinking that perhaps he was a civilian, and had his drop bars turned up and around. I see this set-up fairly often.
Or possibly on flat bars. I did something similar mountain biking once. Caught the front wheel on something, and in trying to get it out, ripped the bar-end off and basically cut a little plug out of my gut-skin with the jagged end of the bar. Obviously the result were not as serious as this poor fellow, but it was the same type of injury, but less severe since it happened at very low speed. Lots of ways it could happen, unfortunately.

-Ray

Michael Maddox
10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Haven't seen RA today, but this is all the talk at the local bike shops. I don't know anyone who knows much more of the story, as it appears that this was not one of the local "bike culture," but a guy on a bike in a bad part of town. Still, it's never good to hear about a fatality, especially one so...er...VIVID. You should have heard my friend Karen (who has experienced a true bar-end core sample) tell it while reliving her own incident.

This is number 4 this year in Tallahassee. This town has some crazy traffic, even if it's not to blame in this case.

tiger
10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Better to die doing something you love (let's assume) rather than wasting away in some retirement home blubbering, eating apple sauce and wearing a colostomy bag.
Be careful about who you might offend. I, for instance, eat applesauce. And even though I try not to blubber. I do sometimes. There's no shame in having a colostomy if you need one, either.

(Agree with what I think you are trying to say, though - "live life robustly while you are fortunate enough to be able to").

Michael Maddox
10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd also argue this guy wasn't "doing something he loved" so much as "getting from place to place."

RABikes2
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
We didn't get any more information at the shop than what has already been published. What a terrible story.

RA

mikki
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
What a painful way to go.

Feel bad for the cyclist and his family; he wasn't very old.