PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing a year ago?

dirtdigger88
11-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Ok I am bored and clearing out my office computer. Just thought I would share what I was doing last year at this time.

Jason

weisan
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
True to the word...diggin' dirt :p

dsimon
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
this tim ei was just returning from a year of war....... :beer:

dirtdigger88
11-08-2004, 04:10 PM
this tim ei was just returning from a year of war....... :beer:

Glad you made it home safe and are now with us. :)

Jason

Cranky
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Ok I am bored and clearing out my office computer. Just thought I would share what I was doing last year at this time.

Jason
I see how you earned your name! ;)

dirtdigger88
11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Actuall not. My name comes from my being a landscaper. Hence digging in dirt. This is my house rehab that I do for fun :crap: believe it or not.

Jason

dirtdigger88
11-08-2004, 04:16 PM
just to show you I can put things back together as well

Jason

Tom
11-09-2004, 05:10 AM
That first picture looks a lot like my front room right now....

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 07:49 AM
From start to fininsh I worked 6 months. I split a 100 year old two family flat into one house. I removed load baring walls- stairs-doors- etc. I updated the electic, plumbing, etc. The project was hard. It involved all three levels of our house so you could not get away from the mess. I enjoyed doing it but would never do it again for any amount of money. Has anyone here ever removed a half of house of 100 year old plaster by them selves. :crap:

Jason

zap
11-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Pic will be me next week :D . Big family room/bathroom project. But I'm cheating. Hired a small crew to do much of the grunt work. Hope to be done by Christmas.

Great job completing the project. Sweat equity is such a great investment.

SManning
11-09-2004, 03:10 PM
My husband tore out the plaster in our living room and library last March. I have asthma, it was a great excuse to get out of that awful chore. They were the last two rooms in our house to still have plaster.

We redid the electrical work and are ready for the insulators to come and spray some insulation into the walls. (Yeah, we're slow, racing season sure got in the way.) Hopefully we'll have drywall up by Christmas.

Congrats on completing your project. It looks like it was tons of work but the end product was nice.

gasman
11-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Good photos, hard work, really nice job. I thought I was doing OK taking out a toilet and carpet to have new stuff installed. Where did you find the time, business must be very slow in the winter.

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 03:47 PM
No business is not slow at all. I would get home from work around 6pm and work until 12am each night. Sun up to sun down on Saturday and Sunday and I took one week vacation to install the tile and the cabnets. My wife and I were under a time restriction because she was pregnant- so my drop dead finish time was the second week of January. My son was born on the 15th. I would have been done one week sooner- but I laid my hand open with a utility knife one evening around 2am. That held me back 7 days while I was getting the stitches out.

Jason

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Here is the upstairs portion of the project.

Jason

bostondrunk
11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Last year I was touring with the trampoline girls from The Man Show as a massage therapist. Now I'm drinking. Oh how the mighty fall...... :p

gasman
11-09-2004, 04:45 PM
No business is not slow at all. I would get home from work around 6pm and work until 12am each night. Sun up to sun down on Saturday and Sunday and I took one week vacation to install the tile and the cabnets. My wife and I were under a time restriction because she was pregnant- so my drop dead finish time was the second week of January. My son was born on the 15th. I would have been done one week sooner- but I laid my hand open with a utility knife one evening around 2am. That held me back 7 days while I was getting the stitches out.

Jason

When do you find time to sleep ? eat ? and most importantly ride ?
Geez I thought I worked hard.

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Eat- when I could. Look at my kitchen- there was not much left of it-

Sleep- once I would stop for the evening sleep was not an issue

Ride- Please! I parked my bike from September through January.
:crap:

Now my wife wants me to add a third bathroom- good thing I thought ahead and ran the plumbing just in case

Jason

csb
11-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Dirt i've been up to the same over here in jersey _ in an old
brick italianate row house. i have no digital technology to prove
that i've been as dusty as you, but Keno can bare witness to the
amount of work i've been doing.
3 yrs and counting, 4flrs + cellar, all new hvac, elect, plumbing,
windows....
for years i did it in the city for others, i will never do it again for
them or moi.

anyways...good show,
csb

p.s. a race crash slowed me down _ its hard to hold tools with
ones thumb hitch-hiking all the time

dirtdigger88
11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
It is damn scary when you are about to take the first swing with the sledge hammer. The way I look at it for generations in my family the men built their own homes- this is about as close as I will get.

Jason

FierteTi52
11-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Jason,
I know what you went through. I built a new 3000 sqft.home my self (with help from friends and family). I didn't ride my bike for 2.5 years and almost had a nervious breakdown at midpoint. All and all, it was worth the effort. and I saved enough to buy 15 Ottrott's, so I finally bought one this year.
BTW looks like you did a very nice job. Hope to see you at the TDFL this year.
Jeff G.

dirtdigger88
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
I found a pic. of my Indian. I know it looks a bit rough- but give me some time. 50cc of glory!!!!

Jason