PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Steel (HERITAGE COLLECTION)

Pete Serotta
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
SEE SEROTTA.COM FOR MORE DETAILS AND PICTURES BUT A BRIEF IS BELOW. http://serotta.com/heritage/index.html

Over the past few years, we’ve heard many requests from Serotta fans yearning for bikes built the way they used to be: simple, pure-bred, finely crafted. The essential bicycle, the essence of cycling . . . bicycles for the ages that stand the test of time, while not breaking the bank account.

We relent. Presenting the “Heritage” collection of frames and bicycles. Genuine Serottas, hand-crafted, American-made at our two proprietary facilities.

Each model is available as a frame & fork (steel $1795; titanium $2295) or as complete bikes starting under $3000.
Choose from eight “Ready Custom” frame sizes: 48-62
Owner’s Club members, receive 10% off on any Heritage frame/bicycle purchase, 20% off on two or more!!

A road frame designed with Serotta’s Tour de France tested racing geometry.

Expressing history in relative terms, up until the last 30 seconds of cycling history all the strong, light, reliable, famous bikes were made of steel. When what you want to emulate is cycling immortality, then you must return to the source. At Serotta, the immortal bike is still made of steel. It’s not called “Classique” for nothing . . .

Download Classique Specifications Sheet- PDF

Serotta gets muddy with the cool season’s coolest bike.

Long sleeves, cow bells, mud in the spokes and cheering crowds: cyclocross is a look, a culture, and a world unto itself. Serotta’s GP Suisse is hand made, but without frills; high performance, but no “bells” (with apologies to the cows) or “whistles.” A great value, a world-class performer, a famous name: the Swiss would love it. The essential cyclocross bicycle is equally at home making your daily commute.

Download Classique Specifications Sheet- PDF

The ultimate statement of simplicity.

Not a track frame, but built for riding on the road - stable, sure footed, timeless. Perfect for off-season training. It’s old fashioned, time-tested, funky, un-fancy, and designed with the precision and craftsmanship of all Serotta’s. Bike messengers, commuter and purists all sing the praises of the bike that can’t coast.

Download Singolo Specifications Sheet- PDF

To place an order and for bicycle kit options contact:
Russ Howe 800.338.0998 x112 russ@serotta.com
or Steve Fairchild 800.338.0998 x104 steve@serotta.com

Joellogicman
10-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Of course now I will have to explain to myself why I need one more bike.

Pete Serotta
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
WE WILL HELP YOU - - I THINK I HAVE THE NEED (LUST) FOR ONE ALSO :D

Of course now I will have to explain to myself why I need one more bike.

Bruce K
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
If anything I would be thinking about a Singolo to replace my Soma Fixie that I got from Stevep.

I just can't justify the $$ right now with the current economic climate.

BK

acorn_user
10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Ooh, that might have just earnt Serotta a customer they might not otherwise have won over.

Onno
10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
This is a brilliant idea. I have been thinking for a while now that though I love my 2000 Serotta, I couldn't afford to replace it with a Serotta now if anything happened to it. This lower price point makes the marquee name and quality of Serotta available to more riders. I hope they sell lots of these!

I wonder if one could order a Heritage frame with S and S couplers?

Onno

KeithNYC
10-16-2008, 02:19 PM
FANTASTIC. I have wondered for so long why this type on bike wasn't being offered. Now Serotta can attract NEW, YOUNGER costumers that will GROW WITH THE BRAND and non-wealthy traditionalists who know that a simple, steel bike is really all one needs can stop dreaming about a CdA and ride a genuine, made in NY Serotta. Thank you Ben and not a moment too soon.
:beer:

OldDog
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Is the Ti verson of the classic straight gauge, double or triple butted tubes?

fourflys
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
So, I guess my question is this...
Why would you buy any other steel or Ti frame from Serotta? Will it be a ride quality/feel issue? I had the same question when I bought my Rivendell Bleriot...the Bleriot was half the price of the Saluki, but essentially the same bike with the main difference being where it is built (Bleriot in Taiwain). Now, Grant Peterson is known for not discussing/caring about what the quality of steel is so I never got a straight answer on if there was any differnce there.

So, I guess I'm asking the same question about the Heritage bikes...

Chris

BTW- this is not a slight on any Serotta, I'm just wondering the differences... ;)

William
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
FANTASTIC. I have wondered for so long why this type on bike wasn't being offered. Now Serotta can attract NEW, YOUNGER costumers that will GROW WITH THE BRAND and non-wealthy traditionalists who know that a simple, steel bike is really all one needs can stop dreaming about a CdA and ride a genuine, made in NY Serotta. Thank you Ben and not a moment too soon.
:beer:

I've been saying this for years, and been chided for it a few times by a couple of folks....but hey, Ben finally listened to me.

I guarantee I would have been cheaper than the marketing team you hired. ;)

William

feta99
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
This is soo tempting. I've never owned a Serotta and would love to own one with a traditional look. I know I shouldn't go ahead with this given the economy, but if the market goes up tomorrow then it will be a sign(fingers crossed).

-Ath

fourflys
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
BTW- It's kind of hard to tell from the pic, does the cross bike have rack/fender mounts? (or the road for that matter?)

Ti Designs
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Does anyone here know any details about the frame???

dvs cycles
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Can any options/upgrades be had with the Ti?
If I were to buy one I would want the F3 fork and have the frame polished like my Legend.

michael white
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I noticed the steel road bike earlier today and was filled with . . . well, you know. That bike is me. Kudos to Serotta for making a perfect frame!

Peter P.
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
After checking the link for the Heritage Collection Serotta frames, I'm disappointed.

I guess "Heritage" means pre-Colorado Concept tubes which I considered Serotta's signature.

Only ONE fork rake is offered, yet the text says it was designed with Tour de France tested geometry. I refuse to believe all their Tour designed bikes of the era had the same fork rake. The "one size fits all" fork rake came about with the introduction of carbon forks and Serotta's Tour bikes pre-dated carbon.

Eyelets on the rear dropouts? Why? There are no rack mounts to match to them, and if you would install a rear fender, wouldn't you want a bike with front eyelets, too? Well, this bike has none on the carbon fork.

The only upside to this product I can see is, it appears you can order them direct from the factory.

C'mon Serotta, you can do better than this.

flickwet
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I was considering a mudhoney, now I will order a Serotta GP swiss cross ti, this is the bike I've been waiting for. And I WANT that matte finish,

BumbleBeeDave
10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
. . . I think you're missing the larger point here. Granted, these bikes may not be all perfect to someone like yourself who does understand fork rake and the associations with fit and handling.

But to me, the more important issue is that Serotta is making a good faith effort to expend their market offerings to less experienced and wealthy cyclists. These bikes are obviously not aimed at doctors and lawyers. They are aimed at customers who appreciate the Serotta name and quality but who can't afford an Ottrott or Meivici--or even an HSG. I think Serotta is making an effort to appeal to a demographic that they really need to appeal to within the constraints of their manufacturing capabilities and dedication to their tradition. They are making the bikes here in the US rather than farming them out to Taiwan, as so many other companies have done. To me, a Serotta made in Taiwan or China simply wouldn't be a "real" Serotta. Looks like Ben feels the same way and I really appreciate that.

Are the bikes perfect? Maybe not. But they are a huge first step in a direction the company needs to take. I think that needs to be acknowledged here.

BBD

After checking the link for the Heritage Collection Serotta frames, I'm disappointed.

I guess "Heritage" means pre-Colorado Concept tubes which I considered Serotta's signature.

Only ONE fork rake is offered, yet the text says it was designed with Tour de France tested geometry. I refuse to believe all their Tour designed bikes of the era had the same fork rake. The "one size fits all" fork rake came about with the introduction of carbon forks and Serotta's Tour bikes pre-dated carbon.

Eyelets on the rear dropouts? Why? There are no rack mounts to match to them, and if you would install a rear fender, wouldn't you want a bike with front eyelets, too? Well, this bike has none on the carbon fork.

The only upside to this product I can see is, it appears you can order them direct from the factory.

C'mon Serotta, you can do better than this.

Ken Robb
10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll bet there are plenty of people w/millions who don't see the value in a $6,000 bike so they don't buy Ottrots, etc. Lots of wealthy people got that way by seeking value for their $$ in buying toys as well as investing.

I think it's smart to offer quality bikes at or below the price point of diminishing returns. Maybe some buyers of Heritage bikes will get "hooked" on Serotta and trade way up. OTOH, I'll bet many will just enjoy their $3,000 Serottas for years and having them ride those rather than a Giant or some other foreign bike has to help us all a little bit. Balance of trade, etc. :banana: :beer:

Bruce K
10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I saw what I now believe to be a red Swiss Cross being photographed on Friday of the Erdinger GP of Gloucester weekend last week.

At the time I thought it was the HSG Cross.

It was a very nice looking rig. Clean, simple, elegant.

Now I wish I had looked a little closer and realized what it was.

BK

14max
10-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I've owned two "Huffy" replicas and currently own a Colorado II. I appreciate what Serotta stands for regarding innovation and quality. I feel that past offerings such as the Nova, Colorado, CSi, etc. are representative of what really defines Serotta. However, I don't believe the Heritage Collection represents the heritage well. It reminds me of a level top tube IF CJ or CJ Ti. It doesn't impress as past offerings and certainly doesn't carry the same mystique and cache of previous Serottas.

Edit: After really looking at the geo, the Classique Road is intriguing. I'm working at getting past the fact that it's TIG'ed. I would be pretty interested in seeing one up close and/or buying in if a Forum group buy is possible.

michael white
10-16-2008, 07:56 PM
the bike has Serotta geo, low bb, slack angles etc, and it is made to ride. It's
one of those everything you need and nothing you don't style things, a return to a real rider's bike, and that's what I like about it. Eyelets are handy even if you don't use them much; the ability to mount a rack to the brake bolt comes in real handy sometimes. Maybe I'm just simple in my tastes; I like the bike.

rnhood
10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Yea, and it's a triple butted frame also.

Except for the lack of lugs, I think the bikes do represent their past heritage - and very well. And, there is nothing wrong with a level top tube IF - nothing at all.

Maybe we should consider putting together a forum group buy going in order to realize the 20% savings. A complete American built Serotta for about $2400 is hard to turn down. Of course for a frameset it would be less than $1500.

93legendti
10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Classique and GP Suisse are model names from a few years back, maybe as many as 10. Hence the name, Heritage.

It's hard for me to fathom that an affordable, made in the USA, all steel or all ti Serotta bike would be controversial.

caleb
10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
What exactly does "under $3000" buy you? Will "under $3000" buy what's in the picture (steel frame, Alpha Q fork, 2009 Rival, Reynolds wheels, and Ritchey trimmings)? If so, that's a great deal.

How much will a similarly equipped Ti model run?

chuckroast
10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey rnhood, how many of us would need to go in together to do the Forum Buy you describe? I would seriously consider joining you.

Lifelover
10-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm looking forward to picking one of these up on the used market 3-4 years down the road! Maybe Dave T will be selling one that's just my size by than. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That could be a real bargain.

Ken Robb
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
If you're about Dave T's size he is giving away his Ottrot now in the classifieds.

Ti Designs
10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
the bike has Serotta geo, low bb, slack angles etc, and it is made to ride. It's one of those everything you need and nothing you don't style things, a return to a real rider's bike, and that's what I like about it.

If you lay the marketing on too thick it just chips off...

michael white
10-16-2008, 10:53 PM
If you lay the marketing on too thick it just chips off...

ok so you do it! teach me!

Ahneida Ride
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
triple butted tubes ... ?????

WOW ...if true ...this is really a good deal.

feta99
10-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I'll participate in a group buy if we can get the 20% off.

-Ath

djg
10-17-2008, 07:27 AM

It may not have the tube shaping you're used to, but it doesn't seem fair to call triple-butted niobium pipes pre-Colorado Concept tubing. I'd guess that the newer alloy allows for pipes that are both lighter and stronger, and I'd be surprised if the tube profiles themselves were old school.

Pete Serotta
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Send a note to PETE@SEROTTA.COM or [email]russ@serotta.com and we will make it happen,,,

-Ath

fierte_poser
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Pete,

Email sent.

Thanks,
Kent

Kirk Pacenti
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I think these bikes look great. I was surprised to see the lack of tapered ST and DT. Is that simply a cost cutting measure or was it intended to further differentiate the standard Serotta line up from the "Heritage" line of bikes?

Fwiw, it doesn't bother me in the least. I know the tapered CC tubing is a Serotta signature, but (imo) the straight tubes look and feel better. :beer:

Cheers,

KP

ox_rider
10-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Will the smaller bikes 48 and 50 have a toe overlap problem because of the fork rake?

On my own bike, a 49-ish sort of custom with a 51.5 TT, the fork is raked to 50 and the front center was lengthened a bit to compensate for that if I am understanding correctly what I was told by the builder.

Ripple
10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Pete,

Email sent.

Thanks,
Kent

I'm also interested in group buy and the specifics of what "under$3,000" includes.

Email Sent.

Thanks,

Ripple

djg
10-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Send a note to PETE@SEROTTA.COM or [email]russ@serotta.com and we will make it happen,,,

really?

sjbraun
10-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm getting to apprciate the value of bigger tires.

What will fit?

Are the frames designed for normal or standard reach brakes?

rounder
10-18-2008, 08:30 PM
The red heritage built up looks like my ciii. Like the look. I hope the bike does well and gets to compete with treks, canns and specialized. Knowing what i know...i would much rather have a heritage, or any other serotta, than one of them.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Every Serotta I've tested has that wonderful Serotta ride.

The heritage should possess the identical magic.

Too bad they stop at 62. A 64 would be nice. ;)

bikemoore
10-19-2008, 10:41 AM
One of the things I like best about steel Serotta frames of the past is the shaped, tapered tubesets. While they may not really affect the ride, they are part of what makes Serotta steel frames cool. A round-tubed frameset from Serotta just doesn't do it for me and I don't think it does Serotta's "Heritage" proper justice either. Triple-butted?....so what?....that happens at the tubing plant......I want to see what Serotta does with the tubing after that.

If Serotta wants to make a reasonably priced steel alternative frameset that gives a true Serotta ride and look, why not just bring back the Atlanta? Don't even have to call it Atlanta, but that frameset has everything a classic steel Serotta should have and was priced reasonably well.

There is a reason I will never part with my steel-forked Atlanta (or even my Colorado TG)......they simply aren't replaceable.....even by Serotta themselves.

palincss
10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Some seem to be suggesting the Heritage series is about entry level affordable bikes - and although compared to some of the new Serottas, this is indeed much more affordable - but I think an emphasis on low price really misses the point.

In many ways, this bike is pursuing exactly the same idea as Hampsten with the Cinghiale Pro, a return to their roots. Steel tubes, level top tube, traditional racing geometry. Here's what Hampsten says about the Cinghiale Pro:

This is a return to our roots, of a sort. Similar to our first-generation Match-built Cinghiale Pro frames the new version again features lightweight steel tubing, uber-
clean TIG-welds and paint, and that quick-yet-stable Hampsten geometry which so many of us know and love.

Designed as a tribute to late 80s stage-racing bikes we’re now offering a lightweight brazed steel fork to complement each frame. And why not? If you’re getting a steel frame you’re probably doing it for the sweet ride, right? And what could ride sweeter than a steel fork? “Nothing” is the answer to that question, mister/m’am.

Given what I think Serotta's trying to achieve with the Heritage series, the decision to go with a carbon fork seems to me to be rather perverse. There's nothing even remotely traditional about carbon forks, and the bikes this series pays homage to didn't have carbon forks. I'm not sure if the impetus for carbon was based on marketing or manufacturing concerns, but either way, to me it's a disappointment.

Ken Robb
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=palincss

Given what I think Serotta's trying to achieve with the Heritage series, the decision to go with a carbon fork seems to me to be rather perverse. There's nothing even remotely traditional about carbon forks, and the bikes this series pays homage to didn't have carbon forks. I'm not sure if the impetus for carbon was based on marketing or manufacturing concerns, but either way, to me it's a disappointment.[/QUOTE]

It's probably partly about price. You know how much labor there is in making/painting steel forks to match the frames. Then you get into the fact that 1 1/8" steerers of steel are very heavy and unneeded for strength but Serotta probably doesn't want to produce 1" head tubes anymore.

Mr. Butterworth
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Everyone seems hung-up on the lack of tapered tubing, etc. From what I know, the process of producing those tubes is much more complicated and hence expensive than producing a tube of constant diameter.

Perhaps this notion of "Heritage" is being taken too literally by some. From my point of view, it seems like Serotta is trying to appeal to a new client base that's interested in Serotta's heritage of building simple, clean, nice riding bikes by hand. That they use carbon forks or have other modern features in no way diminishes the functionality of the product or the soul of Serotta's message here.

Pete Serotta
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks....the tubing is state of the art and the carbon fork is a worthy of the frame.

Everyone seems hung-up on the lack of tapered tubing, etc. From what I know, the process of producing those tubes is much more complicated and hence expensive than producing a tube of constant diameter.

Perhaps this notion of "Heritage" is being taken too literally by some. From my point of view, it seems like Serotta is trying to appeal to a new client base that's interested in Serotta's heritage of building simple, clean, nice riding bikes by hand. That they use carbon forks or have other modern features in no way diminishes the functionality of the product or the soul of Serotta's message here.

totally_fixxate
10-21-2008, 06:28 AM

-Ath

+1

count me in on a singolo

flickwet
10-21-2008, 08:42 AM
HEY quit yer nick pickin y'all. I am thrilled, the new Ti GB cross is exactally what I want and is exactlly what I will buy. I am officially saving now for a 58. the geo is sooo perfect. need more pictures please

93legendti
10-22-2008, 07:17 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51714

All,

The promotional email that was sent to Owner's Club members stated that
OC members get 10% off on any Heritage frame/bicycle purchase, or 20%
off when ordering two or more.

The idea was tossed around on the forum for a few folks to compile the
orders and have one OC member buy the bikes.

We'll make it easy for you, if the forum can come up with ten Heritage
frame/bicycle orders as group, the participating individuals will
receive 20% off.

Some rules;
1) Each person is an OC member or is willing to purchase the OC
membership at time of order. (OC membership cost $100.00)
2) Orders must be pre-paid.
3) Deadline for ordering is Friday Oct 31st
4) Orders ship directly from the Serotta factory to the consumer.

Contact SerottaDirect@serotta.com with your contact information - Full
name, address, phone number and frame/bicycle that you want to order.
You will be contacted to confirm the order and for a credit card number.

If you have questions, please contact SerottaDirect@serotta.com-

Kudos to Pete, Russ and Ben, this is an amazing offer.

Kirk Pacenti
10-22-2008, 07:21 AM

Well said.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem with the non-tapered tubes. In fact I prefer the constant diameter variety.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=601053&postcount=36

Cheers,

KP

Ripple
10-22-2008, 12:45 PM
+1 on the Thanks to Pete, Russ and Ben.

Pete - How are you keeping track of the "10 count" for the group buy? How many do we have so far?

I'm waiting for a couple of minor details from Russ. I'm "99% in" pending these minor details. (I was looking for a used cross bike ... but this deal is too enticing!!) :)

Who else is in?

Ripple

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51714

All,

The promotional email that was sent to Owner's Club members stated that
OC members get 10% off on any Heritage frame/bicycle purchase, or 20%
off when ordering two or more.

The idea was tossed around on the forum for a few folks to compile the
orders and have one OC member buy the bikes.

We'll make it easy for you, if the forum can come up with ten Heritage
frame/bicycle orders as group, the participating individuals will
receive 20% off.

Some rules;
1) Each person is an OC member or is willing to purchase the OC
membership at time of order. (OC membership cost $100.00)
2) Orders must be pre-paid.
3) Deadline for ordering is Friday Oct 31st
4) Orders ship directly from the Serotta factory to the consumer.

Contact SerottaDirect@serotta.com with your contact information - Full
name, address, phone number and frame/bicycle that you want to order.
You will be contacted to confirm the order and for a credit card number.

If you have questions, please contact SerottaDirect@serotta.com-

Kudos to Pete, Russ and Ben, this is an amazing offer.

Pete Serotta
10-22-2008, 02:51 PM
It is a wonderful deal and I am even trying to get PHIL from RALEIGH to get one for his wife (in his size though!!!) ;)

johnnymossville
10-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I've been visiting and taking looks at this bike pretty much every day. This is so much a bike I could see myself investing in. Nice Job Serotta!

chuckroast
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I sent Russ a couple of questions this evening but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be in also.

Lance Armstrong
10-22-2008, 11:49 PM
WIsh I could get out team to use them.....