PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed compatibility

znfdl
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone knoe if the 11 speed chain is compatible with 10 speed chainrings?

I have an FSA SRM crank and want to use this with a potential 11 speed setup.

Thanks.

Dave
10-16-2008, 11:37 AM
From a width standpoint, there is no problem, since the inside width across the inner plates remains unchanged, according to reports (I've yet to verify). That also means the chain won't wear any faster than the current 10 speed chain.

The .4mm narrower outside width isn't enough to cause the chain to fall between the rings, but might affect shifting.

Some users have tried Campy 10 speed rings and found no problem at all. Every brand of chainring is different, so that really doesn't answer your question.

Until the 11 speed drivetrains become more common, about all you can do is try it. It seems like a worst case would be the need to machine .2mm from the mounting surface of one of the rings, if the spacing is really a problem. That would place the chain centerline at the same position as a 5.9mm chain.

I'm still hoping to get some 11 speed parts this week, but maybe not. I'll be trying a Campy 10 compact 50/34 with a 2008 10 FD first thing, to judge compatibility of that setup.

Whatever you do, don't skip the new chain tool. The new joining pin requires peening one end and no regular chain tool will do that. Skip the peening and you're at high risk of chain failure.

znfdl
10-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks.

JGardner
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Dave, I beg to differ. I have a set up similar to zfndl (FSA SRM crank). There IS a incompatabilty with the current 10 speed set up and the new 11 speed chain. I have confirmed this with Leslie Klein of SRM. The current 10 speed FSA SRM crank will NOT work properly with the Campy 11 speed chain. She said that FSA is working to produce 11 speed compatable chain rings which can be retro fitted onto 10 speed cranks. The new chain ring will accomodate the new 5.5 width chain. She does not have a date when the new chain rings will become available though she did assure me that she would email me when they become available for purchase. Best part, again according to her, is that you can replace the rings yourself or have your LBS do it and it will not affect the warranty on your powermeter.

Jack

Dave
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Dave, I beg to differ. I have a set up similar to zfndl (FSA SRM crank). There IS a incompatabilty with the current 10 speed set up and the new 11 speed chain. I have confirmed this with Leslie Klein of SRM. The current 10 speed FSA SRM crank will NOT work properly with the Campy 11 speed chain. She said that FSA is working to produce 11 speed compatable chain rings which can be retro fitted onto 10 speed cranks. The new chain ring will accomodate the new 5.5 width chain. She does not have a date when the new chain rings will become available though she did assure me that she would email me when they become available for purchase. Best part, again according to her, is that you can replace the rings yourself or have your LBS do it and it will not affect the warranty on you powermeter.

Jack

I don't think we are in disagreement, since you haven't stated what the incompatibility is. It shouldn't be the thickness of the chainring teeth, but could well be a spacing problem or perhaps the need to change the shifting ramps or pins. I clearly stated that every brand of chainring is not the same. Just because one brand works doesn't mean all will. Campy will tell you that their 10 speed rings are NOT compatible with 11 speed, but users are reporting different. When Campy states that their parts are incompatible, it often just means that the part doesn't work to their designer's idea of perfection.

All I said is that some Campy 10 speed chainrings have been used for about 2000 miles with no shifting problems reported. As soon as I get my first 11 speed conversion group, I'll have the 11 speed chain on Campy 10 speed rings and 10 speed FD, to give it a try. I'll start by taking measurements of the chain, to verify the reports I've read of the chain's inside dimensions remaining unchanged. It seems that most bicycle testers don't own a micrometer of calipers, so I never trust dimensional reports.

2009 Campy instructions for the new Centaur shifters say that they are not compatible with any QS front derailleur, but I've had these shifters hooked up to a 2008 QS FD for three weeks now and haven't missed a shift yet. It works as well as my 2007 Record shifters.

JGardner
10-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Dave,
OK. Maybe we are in violent agreement. :beer: The 10 speed FSA SRM powermeter crank will not shift properly in a Campy 11 speed setup. The teeth on the chain ring ( present 10 speed) are slightly too thick for the 11 speed chain. That is why SRM through FSA is offering the new chain rings. The incompatability is in the chain rings. If you want to upgrade to the 11 speed chain et al, you will need to upgrade your crank and it is also recommended that you upgrade the front derailleur too.

Jack

Dave
10-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Anyone actually owning these chainrings can use a micrometer or calipers and check the tooth thickness. I get around .075-.076 inch for 2008 Campy or my old 2003 model FSA rings. I don't think that the typical tooth thickness has changed for a very long time. I'll post the actual thickness of 11 speed teeth when I get the cranks I've got ordered - hopefully next week.

It could be that reports of "identical" inside dimensions for the new 11 speed chain are incorrect. Some people think that "only" a .1-.2mm difference is the same, when it's not the same at all.