PDA

View Full Version : test used on tyler isn't a slam-dunk

my2cents
11-08-2004, 09:27 AM
according to cyclingnews, the olympic test used on tyler was negative at first and later determined to be positive after review by a panel of experts.

the simple fact is, contrary to the outrageous rants of wada and others, this test does NOT provide simple, indisputable positive or negative results -- apparently, the test involves LOTS of interpretation, and requires a PANEL of experts to make a 'definitive' conclusion.

Tyler may be guilty of blood doping as charged, but the facts about the actual test appear to have been grossly misrepresented by the test's inventor and those charged with administering it. No wonder they have been uncooperative with tyler's legal team. I wonder what else they have decided not to tell us about they test?

Johny
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I wonder what else they have decided not to tell us about they test?

Dopers would know which biomarkers the test is looking for. Next time, they would only use the blood that matches their own blood type... :)

Anyway, there will be a trial... Let's see what Tyler and his lawyer team can do...

P.S. As simple as a baseball game, it requires SIX empires to decide whether it was a foul ball or a home run (you know which game I'm talking about...). :).

Richard
11-08-2004, 10:54 AM
"...registered the A sample as negative, but with an annotation stating that the sample was "suspicious for a blood transfusion."..." That isn't exactly negative. Let the "homer" defense begin.

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2004, 11:02 AM
"Next time, they would only use the blood that matches their own blood type... "

They would have to do that anyway. The body rejects blood of a different type and the result can be death.

See the other thread on Tyler with a recent story from VeloNews . . . His legal eagles say they are having extreme problems during the discovery phase with both IOC and UCI, who will not release the documents supposedly kept by both organizations documenting the procedures in each test. In this country I believe a judge can compel release of documents during the discovery phase. I'm not sure about that in Europe, though.

But in the face of their lack of cooperation, it's difficult to escape speculation that these organizations are hiding something.

BBDave

Johny
11-08-2004, 11:29 AM
"Next time, they would only use the blood that matches their own blood type... "

They would have to do that anyway. The body rejects blood of a different type and the result can be death.

Sorry Dave, I didn't make this clear. I was not talking about the A, B, AB, O, Rh+, or Rh- blood types, that are critical in blood transfusion. The test looks at other minor molecules on the surface of red blood cells, that may be of different types in two different people.

If the third party (reputable immunologists) has already examined the data and determined it is positive, I think there is very little chance for Tyler to clear his name. However, they should at least let us know who those experts are.

IMHO, the data should also be available to Tyler and his lawyers so that they can make their best case.

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2004, 11:51 AM
. . . They don't want to tell Tyler anything about how they did the test. Or, at least, that's what his lawyer would have use think. Here's the link to the VeloNews story I was referencing . . .

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7166.0.html

The lawyer for Tyler says . . .

"We've made repeated requests [for documents] and been denied," he said. "They say they don't have to give us anything, so we may have to go court in Switzerland. These are results for Tyler's tests. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to obtain them."

And I agree. Regardless of what I think of someone's guilt or innocence, they should at least be able to see the COMPLETE results of the test that has damned them to assist in their own defense.

BBDave

Andreu
11-08-2004, 11:55 AM
"The body rejects blood of a different type and the result can be death."
mmm....did you ever write for The Sun in the UK?
A

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2004, 12:02 PM
. . . and comprehensive story about the "Tyler Affair" as it now stands from CyclingNews.com:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2004/hamilton_medal

Very VERY complete story . . .

And Andreu, no I have never written for The Sun. But I sincerely thought I was right . . . the result of an improper blood transfusion of different blood types CAN be death, as far as I know. Is this wrong?

BBDave

Andreu
11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
- technically you are not wrong - it is a bit more complicated than just blood type but if you stick to that principle - you certainly won't die!

I was really referring to the sensationalist manner in which you framed the argument. Very entertaining!

Check out http://www.bloodbook.com/compat.html
for a better explanation of blood compatibility than I could ever muster.

A :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Tour Star could end up corpse-uscle!

"How Could You?" screams Haven in Girona streetcorner dust-up!

Tugboat's ghost dating Bigfoot!

Is, uh, that what you were talking about? ;)

BBDave--page three boy!

Andreu
11-08-2004, 01:38 PM
You got it in one!
Your a natural
A :beer: :p