PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a top tube replaced.

AmericanTemplar
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I just recently got a Serotta Colorado CRL off of Ebay & unfortunately it arrived on my doorstep with a big dent in the top tube. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience having a top tube replaced? If so did you send it in to Serotta or have it done locally? It looks like there's a long wait to have it repaired by Serotta & it also appears as though it would cost quite a bit of money and be a big hassle. If I were to get it done locally would I be able to get the paint to match & would I be able to get another set of the decals from Serotta?

Also, if I were to wait to have it repaired by Serotta, would it be safe to ride a steel framed bike with a fairly big dent in the top tube until they are ready to repair it?

Peter P.
10-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Spectrum, Joe Bell, and Cyclart are three excellent choices that will be able to replace that top tube and refinish it to perfection. Let THEM worry about the decals too; that's their job.

Yes, you will PAY. It WILL be worth it.

It's virtually always safe to ride a steel frame that's dented. Heck, I'm currently riding an ATB frame that's CRACKED in three places and I'm not worried about it, I just keep an eye on the cracks to see if they're getting longer. You could do the same.

Problem is, companies don't let you keep your frame until YOUR time for a refurb is due. I think Cyclart may have a plan of sorts for this situation, though. Check their web site.

Spectrum: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/
Cyclart: http://www.cyclart.com/
Joe Bell: http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html

But hey; if Serotta is an option for you, you SHOULD give them a chance.

If time is a factor, then I'd call each of them and ask what their current turnaround time is. Things start to get busy now as people ride less and turn their bikes over for a repaint, so act quickly.

Blue Jays
10-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Was the frame undamaged when it was purchased?
Do you have dated images to prove it was dented in transit?
I would worry about that stuff before details behind a flawless repair.

AmericanTemplar
10-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for both of your responses! The frame was damaged in transit & I'm currently looking into determing everything that will need to be done to get this problem resolved, including getting this paid for by UPS and/or the bike shop that the seller paid to have the bike professionally packaged. It's a situation with no simple solution, but I'm just trying to figure out my options.

Ahneida Ride
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
If the tube is swagged, can a non-Serotta firm install an identical replacement?

rspecker
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I had a head tube replaced by Serotta. They did a flawless job. I recall the price was reasonable and the turn-around not bad.

John H.
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I say get your $ back and start over. It will cost quite a bit of money for a toptube replacement and re-paint. So, unless this bike is unobtainable... Then begs the question, do you want to ride a bike that has been repaired? I could see if it was your bike and you had a long history together- but you are starting fresh.
I would also suggest sending it back to Serotta for the replacement. I had a nicely built custom steel frame that I dented the top tube on. I had a local (but reputable builder) put a new toptube in as he was close and could do it in a shorter time span than the original builder. He ovalized the seat tube in the process and the bike never rode as nicely as before the repair.

David Kirk
10-16-2008, 11:46 AM
The top tube is a specific Serotta part and I seriously doubt anyone else would have access to one. If at all possible send it to Serotta and let them take care of it and rest assured it's done right.

Dave

AmericanTemplar
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. I don't think that sending it back is really an option & I don't really think that that would be fair either. The seller paid a bike shop to pack the bike. He had actually made a mistake in listing the bike on Ebay, stating that shipping was $10. I had assumed that the excess amount was considered in determining the bike's BIN price. Anyways, he mistakenly didn't put that the buyer was responsible for the actual cost of shipping and handling.. He actually tried to get me to pay the cost of shipping after the auction, but I said that I didn't think that it was fair for him to charge me any more than the amount that was stated in the Ebay listing & he agreed & absorbed the cost. I feel as though he has been fair with me & I would feel like I'd be screwing him over to just send the bike back & make it a big loss for him. I don't think that I should be stuck covering the entire cost either though.

Although the bike shop that packed the bike did a pretty good job of wrapping everything in foam, they left the handlebars dangled over the frame loosely without zip tying them down to ensure that they wouldn't move. Since there is no damage to the outside of the box that the bike came in, I'm guessing that the box must have been dropped & then the bars slammed into the top tube. Should the bike shop be responsible for covering the cost? I think that it will be tough to get UPS to pay for it, since there's no damage to the outside of the box.

Tom Kellogg
10-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Any decent builder could do the work IF they had access to Ben's tubing. The folks up at Serotta not only have the correct materials, but they will treat your frame as their own, which it is. It will be worth the wait.

The top tube is a specific Serotta part and I seriously doubt anyone else would have access to one. If at all possible send it to Serotta and let them take care of it and rest assured it's done right.

Dave

PoppaWheelie
10-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Any decent builder could do the work IF they had access to Ben's tubing. The folks up at Serotta not only have the correct materials, but they will treat your frame as their own, which it is. It will be worth the wait.

Tom,

This may be a moot point in this case (given your response) but aren't you now allowing clients to keep their bikes at home in a virtual queue until you're ready to repair/paint?

Seems like a great idea, given the long wait-times. I was without my bike for 6 months while JB had it. I don't regret a moment of the wait, but it IS a long time...

John H.
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Actually you are incorrect.
Returning it is your best option- UPS sends a claims rep. out to inspect it at your location- then sends it back to the shipper. If UPS decides to pay on the claim, they pay the shipper not you. So it is on you to get your money for the repair.
You will be way ahead in both time and money to get it going back to the shipper asap and just have the seller refund you. That way it is his problem- not yours.

AmericanTemplar
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Actually you are incorrect.
Returning it is your best option- UPS sends a claims rep. out to inspect it at your location- then sends it back to the shipper. If UPS decides to pay on the claim, they pay the shipper not you. So it is on you to get your money for the repair.
You will be way ahead in both time and money to get it going back to the shipper asap and just have the seller refund you. That way it is his problem- not yours.

The problem is that he didn't pay for insurance so I believe the most that we can get back from UPS is $100 & it will cost that much to have the bike shipped back to him.

Tom Kellogg
10-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Tom,

This may be a moot point in this case (given your response) but aren't you now allowing clients to keep their bikes at home in a virtual queue until you're ready to repair/paint?

Seems like a great idea, given the long wait-times. I was without my bike for 6 months while JB had it. I don't regret a moment of the wait, but it IS a long time...

Yea. We changed our policy recently. It still means that you won't have your bike for a month or so, but not 6 to 10 months. The downside is that you have to put money down that is effectively non-refundable. No free lunch here. I am such a hard a$$.

Ahneida Ride
10-16-2008, 04:40 PM
If is not repaired with an OEM swaged/butted Serotta tube ..

Then it is really no longer a Serotta. This will affect resale.

AmericanTemplar
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
If is not repaired with an OEM swaged/butted Serotta tube ..

Then it is really no longer a Serotta. This will affect resale.

I agree. That's the reason that I really don't like the idea of having it repaired locally.

John H.
10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Actually UPS will take it and return it to the sender after they have looked at it. There is no charge for that. If he does not have insurance, that is his loss- not yours.
How did you pay for the bike? If credit card or paypal- you can dispute.
Be pro-active. It sounds to me like you are making it easy for this guy to keep your money. You only won a frame on auction and paid for it. Everything else happened after the fact. Do not let him or UPS make this into your problem.

The problem is that he didn't pay for insurance so I believe the most that we can get back from UPS is $100 & it will cost that much to have the bike shipped back to him.

Pete Serotta
10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Well yes, i am biased but I would send back to SEROTTA for a redo...It will come back looking like a new bike.. Before the end of the year is a good time to send it back (.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I just recently got a Serotta Colorado CRL off of Ebay & unfortunately it arrived on my doorstep with a big dent in the top tube. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience having a top tube replaced? If so did you send it in to Serotta or have it done locally? It looks like there's a long wait to have it repaired by Serotta & it also appears as though it would cost quite a bit of money and be a big hassle. If I were to get it done locally would I be able to get the paint to match & would I be able to get another set of the decals from Serotta?

Also, if I were to wait to have it repaired by Serotta, would it be safe to ride a steel framed bike with a fairly big dent in the top tube until they are ready to repair it?

flickwet
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Is this a better time of year to send my sweet petunia Coloraddy to the spa for a face lift? I've lost my cable stays on the TT and I am worried that She may need a TT replacement also due to some surface rust at those points, I don't know how deep into the tube is salvageable