PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record Question

Birch
10-14-2008, 08:40 AM
I understand there were various upgrades in the 10 speed system over the last couple of years.

For a soon to be former Shimano user, what was the differences, how do you know what's what (decals etc) and were these improvements marketing, or could you tell a difference?

I'm asking because I bought a bike w/ Campy Record. I think I'm going to be changing over another bike in the next month or so and can't afford to go new, so I'm looking for Campy deals :banana:

Thanks!

Ahneida Ride
10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I have the very first iteration of Campy Record 10 ....
6 years old and runs flawlessly.

vqdriver
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
would you consider new chorus over used record? i would.

Dave
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
There haven't been all that many changes. The Record shifters that say Ultra have a friction reducing coating on the index gear and those with QS Ultra have less dead travel on the left finger lever.

Cranks were changed from the old square taper models to the new UT outboard bearing design in 2007. I would not invest in the old design.

Record Ti cogs will wear out about twice as fast as cheaper steel cogs, so avoid those if you're on a budget.

On a budget, buy Chorus or Centaur parts. I'm totally switching over to the new 2009 shifter design. I'd buy 2009 Centaur shifters rather than used Record level shifters. In fact, that's just what I did. Replaced '07 Record shifters with the new Centaur ultrashift.

Before buying used, compare prices at places like www.probikekit.com or www.totalcycling.com.

pdmtong
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
in awhile I will probably be selling a mixed age record group...intended project likley not happening.

vqdriver
10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Cranks were changed from the old square taper models to the new UT outboard bearing design in 2007. I would not invest in the old design.

+1

vqdriver
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
check this

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51398

Birch
10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah... I have to admit, I've been looking at combining Centuar shifters with Record derailleurs....

Gotta find some locally and see if I like the shape. From the pics, they don't look that much different than my 7800 DA shifters, and I'm not that fond of those. I could be wrong tho for those who have actually compared both.

Dave
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah... I have to admit, I've been looking at combining Centuar shifters with Record derailleurs....

Gotta find some locally and see if I like the shape. From the pics, they don't look that much different than my 7800 DA shifters, and I'm not that fond of those. I could be wrong tho for those who have actually compared both.

What's important to me is how they feel and work. The reach is not as long a Shimano DA, but may be 3-5mm longer than the old brake hoods. IMO, they are more comfortable and work better, plus they are claimed to be nearly maintenance free. No more G-springs to wear out. Seems like a win-win to me. Cheap, longer lasting and more comfortable. You'll forget about the looks of the old levers real quick.

vqdriver
10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
one thing to consider is the ability to move across the cassette in one throw. i don't know if it's on the new centaur or veloce, but up to 2k8, i believe only record and chorus shifters allowed you to do it. i never had that ability with shimano so i didn't think a lot about it at the time. but i don't think i'd build another bike without that feature. never knew what i was missing.

bigbill
10-14-2008, 09:58 PM
one thing to consider is the ability to move across the cassette in one throw. i don't know if it's on the new centaur or veloce, but up to 2k8, i believe only record and chorus shifters allowed you to do it. i never had that ability with shimano so i didn't think a lot about it at the time. but i don't think i'd build another bike without that feature. never knew what i was missing.

Escape is gone. 2009 Centaur is fully functional. I rebuilt my record levers this summer and they are still sitting on the shelf. I too am considering a set of carbon 09 Centaurs to go with my record FD and RD.