PDA

View Full Version : opinions on fixie

Kines
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a very early Fondriest that I was going to sell, then thought what the heck why not fixie it, even though I've never been real big on the idea, but now I'm committed to it, but it turns out that the semi horizontal dropouts might make it a little tough in combination with the insanely tight clearance for the rear tire and seat tube.

So I might just start from scratch. I like the short top tube of the Soma Rush track, but not sure I want a 75 head tube. The Surly Steamroller looks great, but I fit best on a tall bike with a shorter top tube, and it's a sqaure 60cm.

And then I could just go back to ebay and look at stuff like this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280275338103

Any other thoughts?

TIA
KN

sbornia
10-14-2008, 08:53 AM
White Industries ENO hub should do the trick.

keevon
10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure where you're seeing the 60cm square Steamroller...

59cm (c-t) w/ 58.7cm tt
62cm (c-t) w/ 60.8cm tt

It sounds like the 59cm might be right up your alley.

Kines
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure where you're seeing the 60cm square Steamroller...

59cm (c-t) w/ 58.7cm tt
62cm (c-t) w/ 60.8cm tt

It sounds like the 59cm might be right up your alley.

I was going by memory, and was thinking of the 59 (calling it a 60).
And to me, 58.7 is close enough to 59 to call it square.

I do like that Surly, even the color, but I just don't think the geometry is going to work well for me.

KN

Oirad
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
White Industries ENO hub should do the trick.

+ 1

Oirad

regularguy412
10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
As I recall from the Soma site, the Rush has a lower front end (shorter head tube) for a given frame size than the Delancey. Be advised that the Rush's geo seems to be given more toward the track than the road, although many do use the Rush on-road.

The good part about the Delancey is that it has a slightly higher BB than many standard road frames. The drop is only about 57mm or there about. This allows for the use of slightly longer cranks without so much worry about striking a pedal in a turn. For this reason and the fact that the new Delancey geo seemed to be very close to my CSI was the reason I chose it.

The Delancey is NOT the CSI but it's still a nice riding bike. The Tange Prestige DB tubing is not in league with Colorado Concept , but it's not gas pipe, either.

The Rush 'is' a little better 'bang for the buck' than the Delancey.

Mike in AR:beer:

RFTC
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
I've heard your legs can fly off going down Flint Hill. Let me know if its true. If not I would try a 1980 DeRosa with a high flanged rear Campy track hub built with beechwood rims.

Jawn P
10-15-2008, 07:00 PM
If you do decide the geometry is to your liking, I can't say enough good things about a Surly Steamroller. I've beat the hell out of mine and it keeps coming back for more.