PDA

View Full Version : 1970s Peugeot PX-10

Green Giant
10-14-2008, 08:05 AM
A friend of mine rescued a PX-10 from the dump the other day and dropped it off at my house. After a little research I found that this bike was probably made somewhere between 1970 and 1973. Everything appears to be original with the exception of the rear derailler. It even has the original Brooks Saddle.

Question is, what should I do with this? I am not really a road biker, I bike commute but if I am going to spend a day riding I ride trails. I guess what I am wondering is whether it makes sense to convert this to fixie/ss, update the components, or just do my best to clean it up and then hang it on the wall. Of course if I go the latter route, I will probably use it to ride to work.

What makes the most sense?

michael white
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
please take measurements, or take it to a shop and let them do it if you're not sure--because accurate measurements are crucial. Then take a digital photo and post it in the classifieds here. Entertain offers. It will sell. These bikes are fun and it should be ridden as is.

Fixed
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
i had one and loved it back in the day
cheers

rnhood
10-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I had one, purchased it in 1971. It was a decent rodad bike in it's day but, its a bit too long in the tooth to run these days. Hang it on the wall.

Joel
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Me too! My first real race bike. Had the wonderful Simplex Super LJ system on it. A lovely bike.

It got stolen.

Still vow that if I ever catch that S.O.B.... :butt: :butt: :butt:

Ken Robb
10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I had one, purchased it in 1971. It was a decent rodad bike in it's day but, its a bit too long in the tooth to run these days. Hang it on the wall.

why not ride it?

gdw
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
It isn't worth updating with modern components since it uses french threads and has 120mm rear dropout spacing. You could convert it to a fixed gear but that will destroy it's value and you said that you aren't a roady. Plenty of baby boomers have found memories of their early bikes and would love to own a PX-10 again so put it on Ebay and let them go at it.

40x14
10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
FYI, these bikes also have enough tire clearance to run 700x31c cross tires. I have mine setup for commuting with eight gears in the back and a single ring up front. I have also used it as a fixed gear commuter (hooray for 120 spacing), and went so far as to try my luck at a couple of cross races on it last year.

They old PX series are incredibly versatile bikes, and fairly light for an all steel rig. I agree with gdw there are plenty of people who could still get good use of this bike or appreciate it for it's nostalgia. IMO, it's superior in many ways to the budget ($400 or less) road/hybrid bikes available in shops.

Green Giant
10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
FYI, these bikes also have enough tire clearance to run 700x31c cross tires. I have mine setup for commuting with eight gears in the back and a single ring up front. I have also used it as a fixed gear commuter (hooray for 120 spacing), and went so far as to try my luck at a couple of cross races on it last year.

They old PX series are incredibly versatile bikes, and fairly light for an all steel rig. I agree with gdw there are plenty of people who could still get good use of this bike or appreciate it for it's nostalgia. IMO, it's superior in many ways to the budget ($400 or less) road/hybrid bikes available in shops.

Looking at Ebay, looks like these bikes are going for $100 and it's probably $50 to ship but I would rather ride it. I think I might clean it up and ride it for a while, maybe convert it to a fixed gear/ss at some point. I do have a 700c wheelset that might be fun to try.

40x14
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Singlespeeding it is a fine use for it. From the past two weeks, this pa-10e (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140271854645) sold for $455 on ebay, and this px-10 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220287904277) sold for $406 on ebay. There are peugeots that will sell for less, but they are probably lesser UO series bikes, repaints, conversions, or of questionable origin.

gdw
10-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Do some research and find out what model you have. I sold one on Ebay for over $300 a couple years ago.

alancw3
10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
mass produced off the shelf race bike not of particiually good quality but nonetheless a thoroughbread race bike. actually i think peugeot claims the most wins in the tour de france with this partciular bike. imho not worth the effort to update.