PDA

View Full Version : Buy a house, get a...

Ti Designs
10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
One of my customers bought a house and found that a previous owner left a bike there - we know it wasn't the last owner. Anyway, he said it was in great condition and it looked like an "old school" steel bike with Campy parts. I asked for some names (frame, parts, wheels) and some measurments. It's a Richard Sachs with Chorus 9-speed, and just his size. And it's red.

dekindy
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a fish story to me. Too good to be true.

How could that possibly happen? Did the previous owner die and the spouse or significant other did not want to take it along because it brought back bad memories?

Very curious, indeed. I would like to know the story behind this. Tell him to buy a lottery ticket or go to Vegas because he must be on a roll!

rspecker
10-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a fish story to me. Too good to be true.

How could that possibly happen? Did the previous owner die and the spouse or significant other did not want to take it along because it brought back bad memories?

Very curious, indeed. I would like to know the story behind this. Tell him to buy a lottery ticket or go to Vegas because he must be on a roll!
That bike is worth more than some condos in Vegas.

pdmtong
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
in the garage behind the house was an abandoned car under a pile of boxes and sheets it was a [insert here]

a) '66 mustang GT conv with pny interior
b) MB gull wing
c) '76 2002 tii
d) speedster
e) insert your favorite here

hopefully the person with his new sachs knows and appreciates what it is.

Blue Jays
10-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Sometimes it's just your lucky day, I suppose!

avalonracing
10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
in the garage behind the house was an abandoned car under a pile of boxes and sheets it was a [insert here]

a) '66 mustang GT conv with pny interior
b) MB gull wing
c) '76 2002 tii
d) speedster
e) insert your favorite here

hopefully the person with his new sachs knows and appreciates what it is.

My thought, exactly. :rolleyes:

Elefantino
10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Did Jack Brunk sell a house?

Birddog
10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Did Jack Brunk sell a house?
Hey that's not fair to Jack. I understand your point and can see some humor in it, but Jack buys premium equipment uses it, and then passes it on. I for one like his style. I don't think Jack would ever forget one of his machines.

Birddog

soulspinner
10-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Bikes no good. Didnt make the leap... ;)

Volant
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
A Richard who?

Ti Designs
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeh, it's a Richard Sachs in very good condition. I've never seen what so many people see with RS frames. They're very nice, but I've worked for Peter Mooney for over 20 years, he makes frames that are just as nice but you can be riding one next season. Anyway, my guess would be a divorce or death 'cause there were also a number of pairs of skis left there. This would not be the first time I've heard of a good bike being found in a basement, my shop bought 3 Serottas, a Vitus and a Holdsworth from the brother of a guy who died. He simply didn't want to deal with them, would you? (assuming you viewed a bike as something you get at Toys-R-Us, not the sort of artwork that an RS is)

The car in back is a Lotus Europa with a Ford 351. The throttle is a solid linkage that runs to the right of the pedal. The foot well is so cramped that often you find your heel on the linkage so the throttle doesn't always return - which is a problem when you have 400HP. The car didn't come with the house. I looked for the Benz 300 gullwing but all I found was a rotting fence.

Just in case some non-cyclist finding a Richard Sachs doesn't burn you up enough, he asked me if he should ride that bike or stick with his own (a Trek 1000). I asked him if he could tell the difference between his VW Golf and the Lotus. I think he got the point. The fitting is next week...

Peter P.
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
The fitting is next week...

Produce photos or I'm putting this one on snopes.com.