PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear/commuter saddle recommendations

scottcw2
10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Does anyone have a favorite saddle specific to a fixed gear/commuter or do you use the same saddle as on your road bikes?

mschol17
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
It better be comfortable and the right width, since you don't have the ability to adjust yourself on the saddle whenever you want.

WadePatton
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I run old school leather on everything-road, mtn, fixed, more to come.

giordana93
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
my commute rig gets hit with snow, salt, sand and rain, so I'm partial to an oem (i.e. cheapie) saddle by wtb (the sst) that has a cheap vinyl cover but the same shell as the nicer sst's. not a shape for everyone, but great for those who love an aliante-style whale-tail (decidedly not flat) ymmv

RFTC
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Yawn.

scottcw2
10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Yawn.

Constructive and insightful. Nice first post. :rolleyes:

cdimattio
10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I run an identical saddle to my road bike. Why experiment when you have something that works?

Jawn P
10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Brooks. What model you want to get depends on your saddle to bar drop.

*Broken Record Mode.*

RFTC
10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
scottcw2:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, see drink and recycle topic.

scottcw2
10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
scottcw2:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, see drink and recycle topic.

So you joined the forum to make that point??? How lame is that? One would have to believe that the poster of the "drink and recycle" topic joined under a different user name in order to make this lame post. Clever.

RFTC
10-16-2008, 04:58 AM
No just poking the skunk. I figured all you doctors and dentists are wound so tight I would get a bunch of responses and make this interesting. :D

scottcw2
10-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Brooks. What model you want to get depends on your saddle to bar drop.

*Broken Record Mode.*

Thanks. I am thinking about a Brooks Pro. A little wider than the Swift I have on my geared bike.

Joellogicman
10-16-2008, 10:43 AM
this is actually a substantive thread.

Saddle choice is not so much a matter of how the bike is used, but rather rider position.

Most people set up commuter/utility bikes for a more upright riding position. Upright riding is best done on shorter, wider saddles than those typically used for road riding and racing.

There are some good leather saddles with upright riding dimensions. If you are going to use leather in harsh riding conditions you will want to treat it frequently and probably also want to use a saddle cover such as the aardvark during periods of bad weather.

In my opinion, saddles with silicone or similar injection filling are a waste of money. The filling quickly spreads to the side, leaving the rider sitting on the uncomfortable framing components. If you are looking for extra comfort, get a saddle with quality spring suspension.