PDA

View Full Version : Ride Like a Girl

Ahneida Ride
01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
See the new Pop UP on the Serotta SIte ?

Yea , would I like to ride like a girl ! Girls kick my butt
all the time.

Really, that's a goal in my life ...... to ride like a girl.

There are only two kinds of male cyclists, those that have
been whipped by a girl and those that will be.

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2004, 07:19 PM
. . . as to why it’s all right to have a cycling workshop for women only when the same format is not available for men only. :confused:

The same goes for health clubs and all manner of other things, it seems. Restricting participation to women only is perfectly all right, but doing so for men only is elitist or sexist and risks a lawsuit.

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
01-10-2004, 12:19 AM
BBD,

Yup I agree !!! Ya gotta be PC.

Remember that the Mail Man is now the Person Person.

M_A_Martin
01-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Dave...I agree with you about a lot of women specific events. But not this. Most cycling classes wind up male only on their own.

I've seen it time and time again. Most cycling events tend to be male dominated. Many women cower when in a cycling class that is mostly male. The men usually APPEAR technically further advanced than the women are and that causes the women to feel incompetent and withdraw into the female stereotype.
The women wind up not learning anything.

No, its not the guys fault, but what's wrong with giving the women a chance to learn without that pressure there?

There have been times when I was turned down from attending a class because I was A GIRL. For all the advances, that time is NOT FAR PAST.

Serious
Mary Ann

Sandy
01-10-2004, 06:23 AM
I figured it out a long time ago. I started calling myself Sandy years ago. Now I get into male only classes and female only classes. I take a lot of female only swim and modeling classes. Unfortunately I once applied for a female only class which turned out to be a 10 week course on natural childbirth. I had to eat and eat to look the part. My last class was a female only male inpersonation class and I really got confused. Somehow, for whatever reason, I have seen Kevan in just too many of the female only classes. Or was that Kevin? Or was it Kevan and kevin? My meds, where are my meds??? I think that I am losing it again?

Sometimes Sandra, Sometimes Sanford, Always Still Serotta Sandy

Kevin
01-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Sandy,

I try to sneak into every "female only class" I can. I simply change my name to "Kevilina" and claim that I migrated from Eastern Europe. As I think about it, perhaps its men like us that have caused the women to request "female only classes". As my paranoia builds, I wonder, could it be that "female only" is a code to the rest of the world that it is safe to join the class because you and I will be excluded.

By the way, when are you giving birth? Having taken the 10 week course are you going to deliver naturally?

Kevilina, woops I mean Kevin.

M_A_Martin
01-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Oh my gosh, you've broken the code!

Actually most the guys here would be great in a female only class...its fun to have just 1 guy around. Ya get a herd of them together and you hear things like "She's a strong rider, and she's got a great A**!"
And no...there's nothing wrong with that, but some women would rather not hear it when they're trying to learn a new skill.

Byron
01-10-2004, 09:23 AM
I quit competitive running because too many of the college women around were too fast. It has been interesting to watch the progression of womens sports over the years. During college in the sixties, womens teams were just getting started. I think it is great - long overdue. Our club rides are mixed and that adds an element I would miss otherwise. Includes some great riders.

keno
01-10-2004, 09:55 AM
It works, or doesn't, both ways. I have been taking individual pilates lessons on Fridays at 9:00 from Connie. Unfortunately, Peg runs a mat class with 5 women at the same time. I don't mind that I'm called Stanley and that the women like my cute ass, but I could think straighter in front of a blast furnace. What possible use could 6 women talking simultaneously result in, I don't know. What I do know is that it doesn't work for me, and I love being around women. Perhaps if they were more serious about the workouts than bonding, things would be different.

Henceforth, Connie will be making me scream at 10:30 on Friday mornings.

keno

M_A_Martin
01-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Not every man has had the experience of that sort of roll reversal or contact with "all female" classes.

Of course, you also know why I don't go to "women only" classes. I see no point in trying to concentrate in that cocophany. Of course, guys often do the same thing, but their voices are generally lower and I can tune out the chatter about their 11 32 cogs or who made first down much easier.

Kevan
01-10-2004, 02:01 PM
only cuz they can beat me up.

In a mail dominated sport such as cycling, I think it's great that you give the ladies their due and permit them to establish an enjoyment for the sport on their own terms, less the testosterone.

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2004, 05:30 PM
My remark was not intended to apply only to cycling, nor was it intended to be personally directed at any individual--though I also know that was not the substance of your post.

But as a middle aged white male, it just gets annoying to see this double standard applied again and again in the name of “political correctness.” Discrimination is just that, no matter who is doing what to whom. There are times I am at the gym when I really would like to concentrate on my workout without the distraction of women around, but I can’t. Yet there are any number of “women only” spas and clubs around town where I cannot join. One is two blocks from my house.

It just gets kind of tiring to see this over and over and OVER again. It seems a strange way to promote “equality of the sexes.” :crap:

BBDave

SPOKE
01-10-2004, 06:11 PM
back in the 88' thru 90 i had a side business up and running to support my cycling habbit. yes i was selling and reparing bicycles but most of the business was reparing fitness equipment. needless to say that allowed me access to a couple "women only" clubs. not a bad place to hang out while working on an exercise bike or stringing a new cable on a universal machine:D

M_A_Martin
01-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Spoke: Another cable guy.

Dave,
I think the issue I have in this discussion is the Political Correctness of it all. If an activity or action were politically correct, it would be gender neutral - not women only. With my job I have to be politically correct every single day with every single word...it is a practice of removing gender, not emphasising females.

About the women only thing? Its the money honey. Women have more discretionary income of their own these days and companies are developing those markets and marketing to that money.

There are still many activities that I participate in that do not take into consideration actual different female requirements. Not that they're gender neutral, they're male centric. So all is not lost Dave.

Actually, several gyms in my area have separate days for men and women to work out and the swing day is coed. Of course, the last (and only) gym I belonged to was coed and a huge pick up joint. Maybe I should rejoin? I think I'm too oblivious to get picked up though.