PDA

View Full Version : Heel strike on Fina

LegendRider
11-07-2004, 04:34 PM
I just bought a used Fina to ride this winter. So far, so good. In fact, it rides a lot like my Legend - just a touch harsher over bumpy stuff. The only problem is my heel strikes the huge, straight chainstay on occassion. I adjusted my cleats to place my heel out as far as possible and I mounted the cleat deep in the sole to move my foot forward. Neverthless, I hit the chainstay too much. Any remedies? Should I put a washer between the pedal and crank?

Smiley
11-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Try the washer trick , I think this should solve the problem given you've already moved the cleat outboard . Pick up a good SST washer do do this with .

LegendRider
11-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks. By the way, what's an SST washer?

kestrel
11-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks. By the way, what's an SST washer?

That would be a Standard Silent Sandy Type washer, the first S is silent.
:banana:

stainless steel

amg
11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
If the Fina is a size 59, give it to me, I have very narrow heels that will not strike the chainstays. ;)

I agree, the washer trick should help.

Antonio :beer:

LegendRider
11-08-2004, 11:23 AM
I just got off the phone with Brendan Quirk at Competitive Cyclist. He's a very nice and knowledgeable guy. His recommendations were (1) try the washer trick, (2) try the Northwave shoes that allow for lateral adjustment of cleats, or (3) try a pedal that allows for lateral adjustement of the cleat or Q-factor adjustment (Speedplay Zero or Look CX-7).

Marron
11-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I have the same problem with most frames I own. They all have straight chainstays, I have size twelve feet and I tend to toe out. I've tried the washer fix, but abandoned it after it became clear that I wasn't biomechanicaly compatible with the wider Q factor.

You might not have a problem, but what in my case it only became apparent several weeks in, by that time I'd forgotten about the washer and spent a week or two wondering why my knee was suddenly bothering me. Removal of the washer instantly aleviated the knee pain.

hooverone
11-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Not sure if the for /aft postion of your cleats is already set up correctly but if not maybe if you move the fore aft postion of your cleat your could avoid hitting the chainstay.

Jim