PDA

View Full Version : Campy Wheels

srenda
10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
All,

I am considering going the campy route for the first time, perhaps a 2009 Centaur Alloy group, but am curious as to wheels to accompany the group? The reason on I ask is that I have always been a Shimano person, and as such, have never really researched Camp compatible wheelsets. The bike will just my all around do everything bike, I don't race, but do ride a lot. Should I just get some Open pros laced to Campy hubs? Or is there a Campy wheelset that people love? Would like to stay in the $450-600 range. Thanks much.

Scott

Ahneida Ride
10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I've heard good things about the Eurus .... but they are about 1000 frn.

Great topic, Vampy components are always threaded, but discussions
of their wheels are few and far between.

How about em? :D

93LegendTG
10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I have thousands of miles on Campy Zondas without ever having to true them. Just my opinion, but the G3 spoke pattern on the rear makes good sense.

vqdriver
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
i just went the campy route a few months ago with 08 chorus. i was in a similar position and didn't want to spend a mint on wheels on top of the cost of the campy parts themselves. i went with a used set of campy eurus wheels for 400. they pop up once in a while on craigslist or ebay. they are a few years older, but i couldn't be happier. great, great wheelset.

alexzorba
10-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I had a very similar experience. I bought a used pair of Eurus wheels on craigslist for $375 this spring. The wheels are from 2002 and obviously had plenty of miles on them. I've been riding them on rough dirt and pavement...some single track throughout the summer. They're still perfectly true. They seem bombproof. I've ridden long miles on some pretty rough terrain.

Erik.Lazdins
10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I've got 2 pairs of Eurus wheels - the first set a 2004 vintage has 30,000 miles at least on them. They are still perfect despite off road, curb jumping.
The newer set are perfect as well and have about 5,000 miles on them.

I know a guy who rides Neutrons and he weighs 240 - he hasn't had a problem with his.

best,
Erik

FlynRide
10-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I also have a pair of Eurus and I love them. They're built very strong and the bearings spin very smoothly. They're worth every penny.

steelrider
10-12-2008, 02:07 PM
I just scored a pair of NOS pre-Carbon hub Neutrons--my third set. I paid $400! Needless to say I'm stoked. These wheels are bomber. The streets here in SF are among the worst. People compare them to third world. I weigh in at a stout 210 and I've never had a problem.

cadence90
10-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a +/- 10-year old pair of black 14/16-spoked Shamals that are still bomb-proof and as true as on day 1.

Campa make some of the best hubs around, even if they are a bit on the heavy side.
The wheels all seem to last forever and the G3 lacing is great (people rave about the Eurus; I've never heard a negative review).

If I needed more wheels, without spending lots of $, I'd look into a set of used Nucleons/Neutrons (like steelrider just said) or Shamals (14 F; 16 R...(NOT the 12s). I can't remember which is which, but the silver 14/16 (Berzin's wheels) and the black 14/16 have 38mm vs. 41mm deep rims, and in either case 0 crosswind issues.
Used higher-end Campa wheels in good condition are an excellent buy.

Among Campa's current offerings, if I had the cash, I'd get new Neutron or Neutron Ultra; if I were my accountant, I'd get Eurus or Shamal Ti; if I were Warren Buffett, I'd get Hyperon Ultra or Bora Ultra.

thinpin
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
It really depends on what you want them for and how much you want to spend. I've ridden Scirocco (old and new), Protons, Neutrons and Euros - and Record hubs laced to Fir rims. All very different, all good wheels at their price point except for the old Sciroccos whose hubs need a lot of love!
Peter White recommends velocity aero rims with campag hubs as being a very worthwhile combo.

srenda
10-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Everybody,

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Scott

Ahneida Ride
10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
As I scourer the Internet for the dirt on Crampy wheels. I find little.

Reviews are mostly positive. Even from Clydesdales.

(can't say the same for Mavic, and their Customer Service .. well )

rounder
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I have neutrons and like them lots. They are relatively light and like the way they look. Changing a flat...tell everyonre to go on ahead. I never had campy wheels before but it takes longer to change the the tires. Anyway, they look good and spin great. Very happy with them so far.

shinomaster
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Neutrons are the best riding campy wheels. IMHO :beer: They climb well and roll smoothly. They won't beat you up either.

bnewt07
10-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Neutrons are the best riding campy wheels. IMHO :beer: They climb well and roll smoothly. They won't beat you up either.

Ridden Neutron Ultras and Eurus wheels back to back and agree the former are the nicest to ride. Have had a pair of very cheap protons for absolutely ages, they now get abused on my winter bikes. Never had to touch them, not even lubed the hubs!

Campy wheels underrated I think.

bzbvh5
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo. They seem like a little cheaper alternative.

For minimal expense, you can get the campy cassette adapter for almost any hub. I changed my Mavic hub shimano cassette to campy and it costs $50.

JumpStart
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I have over 5000 miles on a pair of Euros wheels. They still run true and never have had any hub maintenance. I've been very happy with their performance.

My only complaint is that the tires fit tight to the rims, so changing a flat requires some hand strength.

ERDR
10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
i have both new and old style eurus wheels and give them 2 thumbs up. i felt my neutrons were a little soft. i am a strong 190 lbs, though. i have a buddy riding nucleons without problems and he is 210 lbs. can't go wrong with either.
s.

yim
10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I have my eurus rear rim broken and can not find spare part.

Change to corima areo carbon wheels and dislike carbon braking feel.

Plan to get back to campy wheels, may be zonda.

paczki
10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
dislike carbon braking feel.

Yim,

Have you tried Swiss Stop yellow brake pads?

yim
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Yim,

Have you tried Swiss Stop yellow brake pads?

Yes.

But the width of the rims are not even when I brought it new. .

I have found each rim has a section with width larger about 1-2mm than the remaining major portion.

I don't know it is manufacture fault or not?

Wanker
10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I have nucleons from 2000 of which I have ridden over 15k documented miles and they are still nearly perfectly true. This wheel set came with my HC and my LBS told me that they retailed at the time for $1200. Was this the BS in the LBS? Dunno. The wheels still look newish to me. I think the only weakness of the 10 speed record group for that year is the pathetically weak chains and casettes - which still holds true for today's record group. the wank

ciclisto
10-14-2008, 02:31 AM
18 months with a new pair of Zonda and Vittoria corsa perfect wheels, nice ride bulletproof and no problems to date 6k miles. These are superior to the Mavic elites on my other bike, which I am always adjusting.

shinomaster
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I have nucleons from 2000 of which I have ridden over 15k documented miles and they are still nearly perfectly true. This wheel set came with my HC and my LBS told me that they retailed at the time for $1200. Was this the BS in the LBS? Dunno. The wheels still look newish to me. I think the only weakness of the 10 speed record group for that year is the pathetically weak chains and casettes - which still holds true for today's record group. the wank

Use a centaur or chorus cassette. Record has Ti cogs which wear way faster.

Viper
10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Use a centaur or chorus cassette. Record has Ti cogs which wear way faster.

Page 92 of Greg LeMond's Complete Book of Cycling, "Although some high-end bikes have aluminum freewheels and lightweight sprockets, these tend to be very pricey and fragile. I wouldn't recommend them if you have to buy your own equipment-you'll have to replace freewheel sprockets (and therefore the chain and the chainrings) every few months. Although my team provides me with an alloy freewheel, I rarely use it. Most of the season, I'm outfitted with a steel freewheel because it's sturdier and more dependable in the grueling European races I ride."
~ LeMond - 1987

Centaur, Veloce...cheaper, more money for = :beer:

shinomaster
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I can't tell the difference between my chorus, centaur or veloce cassettes when I'm riding. A few extra grams on a freewheel means nothing.

acorn_user
10-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Campagnolo is not your only option in Italian wheels. Miche and Ambrosio have been wheel building for a long time too. Actually, they seem to use each others components in a lot of the models. ITM also made a nice line of wheels before they died. I see them around in UK stores sometimes.

Btw, anyone know which hubs are still being made by Campagnolo? This year, I only saw Record in black and Record pista. No other hubs listed on the site at all!

Viper
10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't tell the difference between my chorus, centaur or veloce cassettes when I'm riding. A few extra grams on a freewheel means nothing.

It's the skin off a penguin's nose.

:)

sn69
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I've owned both. I did two RAAMs on my set of Eurus hoops, and they stayed true, rolled perfectly and never once complained. Unless you're looking to shave grams, I'd personally suggest the Zondas at half the price. I had those on my tri bike for a few years, again with no complaints whatsoever.

In fact, it's likely that whatever bike I get next will have Eurus hoops if I go stock.

Scott

shinomaster
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I kinda sorta wish I didn't sell my 05 Eurus hoops.

cadence90
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Centaur, Veloce...cheaper, more money for = :beer:

Centaur chainrings (I don't know about the sprockets) are milled, while Veloce chainrings are stamped. That's definitely an upgrade.

cadence90
10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I've owned both. I did two RAAMs on my set of Eurus hoops, and they stayed true, rolled perfectly and never once complained. Unless you're looking to shave grams, I'd personally suggest the Zondas at half the price. I had those on my tri bike for a few years, again with no complaints whatsoever.

In fact, it's likely that whatever bike I get next will have Eurus hoops if I go stock.

Scott
Trust this man.

shinomaster
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Centaur chainrings (I don't know about the sprockets) are milled, while Veloce chainrings are stamped. That's definitely an upgrade.

The cassette are the same though. Older centaur wasn't stamped.