PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Brandy?

William
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
And what is considered a good brand?

William

Bill Bove
10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Jamesons Irish Whiskey, Tequila and cognac in my drinking days. don't miss them at all.

flydhest
10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
William,
Brandy is a funny word. It is used in many contexts, but one of the more standard is a fruit-based liquor. Typically, a type of wine would be produced, which is to say, take the fruit, crush it, add yeast, the yeast eat the sugar and create alcohol. Then this liquid is distilled and the resulting higher concentration alcohol is often referred to as eau de vie. (sidenote, the gaelic word for water of life is where the word "whisk(e)y" comes from)

Eau de vie is often aged in barrels, which gives it the dark, caramel color and the beverage "brandy."

Armagnac, cognac, Calvados, slivovitz (which is usually not aged in barrels) would all fall into this category.

Did I help or hurt?

You asked for a brand . . . but that's a tough thing to answer.

Ken Robb
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
try Courvosier VS for a good but not extravagant cognac.

Their vsop (very special old pale) is smoother/ more$$.

Remy Martin is dandy and widely available too.

These are good ones to try to get started before branching out into the many varieties of "brandy" in the world.

Ahneida Ride
10-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Cool Link .... (http://www.cv-us.com/home_frame.php) ;)

capybaras
10-11-2008, 07:24 PM
she's a fine girl :beer:

capybaras
10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Elves like Brandy :fight:

soulspinner
10-11-2008, 08:48 PM
+she's a fine girl :beer:

Used to sing that song in a trio- I stunk. Ever try orange cognac? Youll never go back( 1 ice cube ). :beer: Course right now Im on the budget drink till my Campy shifters are rebuilt (2nd time)-Vodka gimlet presently...

Buzz
10-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Brandy does encompass so many different items as posted above. But let's face it, French Cognac is at the top.

Some starters: Hine Rare and Delicate, then Delamin XO, then Martell Cordon Bleu and then Martell XO. Any decent liquor store should have these. In the world of wine and distilled spirits quality and price are not always in synch. Except as to Cognac and Champagne. Generally, the more expensive the better.

Have fun.

hansolo758
10-12-2008, 10:51 AM
As others have said, brandy connotes different things to different people. We served E & J's brandy at our wedding reception because that's what we could afford then. I've tried to stay away from it since. What I sometimes like to drink late in the evening, especially if I'm having an enjoyable discussion with friends or family members about something or other is what Ken Robb suggested, Courvoisier. In contrast to the E & J's, it has a smoother taste to me. I don't have an unpleasant aftertaste with it. As with bike stuff, this is all IMHOATMO, and YMMV.

jthurow
10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Brandy's the liquor of choice in Wisco. I worked as a bartender in a couple of supper clubs in Baraboo and the Dells over the summers when I was in college. Brandy old fashioned was the drink of choice and Korbel was the brandy most folks asked for. But I don't think I ever served one straight, only mixed. Personally, I dig a nice Eau de vie and B&B (http://www.benedictine.fr/anglais/decouverte/bb.html) is a fav.

jimi

beungood
10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Dude,Id take any brand right now to deaden the pain in my abs! Damn MC accident!