PDA

View Full Version : Ride up Sunrise

northbend
10-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I took Friday off hoping to suprise my wife with a drive to Leavenworth to enjoy the fall colors but she suprised me by having made a last minute commitment to babysit quadruplets for a family in our church so that left me with a free day to enjoy some nice fall weather. I tossed the bike into the car and drove up to the Crystal Mtn turnoff which was my starting point for a 40 mile ride thru the Mt Rainier National Park to Sunrise. At the park entrance, the ranger told me I would be alone because the road up to Sunrise was closed to traffic - fine by me! The whole 10 mile climb was mine alone and I enjoyed every minute of it. The temps started to warm only slightly as the sun poked thru the clouds, there had been a dusting of snow the day before and I was glad to have on my warmest clothes. Rocks were falling onto the road as I passed several sections and I picked up my pace to get clear while keeping an eye on the hillside.. As I neared the top I took this picture at the last hairpin when the road starts to level out.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/sunrise002.jpg

A rocky section
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/sunrise003.jpg

The top
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/sunrise005.jpg

I ate some lunch I had packed for myself at the boarded up Ranger Station before heading back down. A phone started ringing from inside the building, no one there to answer and it got pretty annoying after about the 10th ring. I started to get ready to leave when the ranger drove up. He warned me he had just opened the gate at the bottom and there may be car traffic. As it was, I think I only passed 3 cars coming up on my way down. I was more concerned about the rocks that had fallen on the road and my steadly freezing hands. When the weather is warmer and the road is cleared of debris, this descent is one of the best in Washington State but given the conditions I kept my speed down to the low 30s. By the time I reached the park entrance and my car I could feel my thumbs again. Gotta get some warmer gloves. Anyway, It was a nice ride - one of those late season rides that you stow away as the last of the good ones of the year.

Kirk007
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a great day! Thanks for the photos; it has been a few years since I've been on that road. I've done the ride up to Paradise but not Sunrise; must do one of these days

Michael Maddox
10-11-2008, 09:14 AM
<<sigh>>

I wish I could live in such a spot. At least, that is, until the snow set in.

Anyone have any extra scenery you could ship to North Florida?

Karin Kirk
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
That looks like an awesome day!
Thanks for the photos and story. Lucky you to catch a nice empty road and a beautiful fall day. Glad you avoided the rocks on the downhill. One would definitely not want to let it rip through those sections!

dsteady
10-11-2008, 09:48 AM
nrthbend,
I live in Seattle. that looks like a stunning ride, will you shaee the coordinates with me? There may be some dry days left this fall.
daniel

martinrjensen
10-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Those are reat pics and it looks like a good trip. Were you wearing fingler-less gloves? I'm thinking it's getting close to the time to swap out to full fingered ones. I have a ride planned today too but no where near as spectacular as that one. Also is that leather handlebar tape? I saw some the other day on a bike Recycled Cyles and it looked cool but I am curious how it compares to the comfort of the regualar cork or gel tape.
martin

northbend
10-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Dsteady, I assume you'll know how to get to Enumclaw - via Auburn more than likely.

From Enumclaw, drive out hwy 410 until you reach the turnoff to the crystal mountain ski area, turn left and park in the parking lot just past the turnoff on the right hand side. Get on your bike and go back to hwy 410 and turn left, you'll pass into the park entrance and go up a steady climb for about 3 miles and you'll see the turn off to Sunrise (it's marked). You'll stop about a 1/2 mile from there to pay a 5 dollar entrance fee. Just stay on that road... Basically it's an out and back route of 40 miles

Make sure you bring warm clothes! Even in summer is can get chilly but this time of the year even more so. Traffic on 410 on the weekends can be busy so the sooner you can get past that stretch the better.

dsteady
10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
thanks, man. maybe I'll see you up there some time.
Daniel

soulspinner
10-12-2008, 07:34 AM
The pic with the rocks in the road looks unreal...Thanks for the pics-they are fantastic :beer:

deechee
10-12-2008, 07:41 AM
drool. wish I had something like that local. definitely doing hills today ;)

39cross
10-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Nice pictures! And count me in as another admirer of the bar wrap

goonster
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Even in summer is can get chilly

I was just up there, in the last week of August. Tiny little snowflakes descended on us while lunching al fresco. Fantastic.

kgreene10
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
In the middle of a busy day, I saw your pictures, exhaled long and slow and spent a beautiful 30 seconds daydreaming of quiet mountains. Thank you.