PDA

View Full Version : OT: Peanut Butter & Jelly and a glass of milk, golf clap

Viper
10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes. Uh huh. It's time this little morsel of food receives the respect it's due. Mom made them for you. She showed you how to make them. You were thrilled the day you first made your own and the ever-growing debate, to cut it down the middle or diagonally. The milk? It was always and will remain whole milk, not some watered down, weak wannabe. The jelly must be grape, the peanut butter can have nuts in it or not, I don't care. Cut it any way you choose, just put it on cheap white bread and a tall glass of milk.

Discuss and vote:

jghall
10-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Since it wasn't an option, hold the jelly on mine Viper.

Viper
10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Since it wasn't an option, hold the jelly on mine Viper.

"I love it and have a special receipe." Share your ingredients, the full scoop!

:beer:

ti_boi
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
always tasty.....though we also eat the "I M Healthy" Soy Butter..... :beer:

D_L_Huns
10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Strawberry Jam and Wheat bread. I know. Sorry...

soulspinner
10-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Butter the bread and maybe add honey :cool:

sg8357
10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I like PBBH, peanut butter, banana and honey.
Put the honey on the bread, so it soaks in, makes the sandwich less
messy when you pull it from the Berthoud handle bar bag.

Scott G.

D_L_Huns
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
And I just remembered, one of Earnest Hemingway's favorite snacks: Bread, peanut butter, slice of onion, glass of red wine. I actually tried it once. The red wine is the key. :rolleyes:

Don

chuckroast
10-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Right there with you but grape jelly is for toddlers. Jedi go with the strawberry preserves.

navclbiker
10-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Is it...... Could it be?..........
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana

giordana93
10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I can see a serious case of the munchies inspiring this photo essay, but it seems like it would have been better saved for the doldrums of winter, on a slow news day, not an end of season post.
actually, I'm a huge pbj fan, but here's the kicker: this is a kind of uniquely american thing. my french canadian wife thinks the us obsession with pbj is kinda weird. must be a jimmy carter thing. it's not really a nut, you know.

so why don't we make an international poll out of this. any non-yankees indulge in pbj?
cheers.mr

WadePatton
10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I only have it on supported group rides. I mean it was the shizit, the killer, the stuff for so long. :beer:

And then I learned about hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup and the reduction of real wheat to nutritionless paste. Darn darn darn. :crap:

But anything is game on race day or century ride. :banana:

MOF we had PBhoney sammiches at rest stop #3 last event. :D

keevon
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Creamy Jif, raspberry preserves, wheat bread. No cut, no milk. Two if you're really hungry.

capybaras
10-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Is it...... Could it be?..........
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana

Love that banana!

fungusamungus33
10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
I Love natural peanut butter and honey or any simple jelly/jam/preserve on good whole wheat bread....but.....If I eat PB before or during a ride I get terrible cramps and bail on the ride. I'd eat a sandwich at noon and ride after work at 3 or 4pm, get ten miles out of town and be completely incapacitated by abdominal cramps. It was the worst. I'd turn around and limp home...embarrassed.

It took nearly a whole summer to decide what the culprit was. I wonder if I don't digest the oil very quickly? I have no clue but I don't ride on a day with PB. No cramps since the rule.

That said, try fresh raspberries or blackberries mashed with a little maple syrup as a jelly "substitute." A B&B owner in Montreal makes fresh bread and all his own "jelly" this way. My wife and I go back just for the breakfast!

WadePatton
10-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I Love natural peanut butter and honey or any simple jelly/jam/preserve on good whole wheat bread....but.....If I eat PB before or during a ride I get terrible cramps and bail on the ride. I'd eat a sandwich at noon and ride after work at 3 or 4pm, get ten miles out of town and be completely incapacitated by abdominal cramps. It was the worst. I'd turn around and limp home...embarrassed.

It took nearly a whole summer to decide what the culprit was. I wonder if I don't digest the oil very quickly? I have no clue but I don't ride on a day with PB. No cramps since the rule.

That said, try fresh raspberries or blackberries mashed with a little maple syrup as a jelly "substitute." A B&B owner in Montreal makes fresh bread and all his own "jelly" this way. My wife and I go back just for the breakfast!
Oil is fat-fat and protein are slow to digest and are probably your culprits. Fruit rules. ;)

d_douglas
10-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I like PBBH, peanut butter, banana and honey.
Put the honey on the bread, so it soaks in, makes the sandwich less
messy when you pull it from the Berthoud handle bar bag.

Scott G.

I ate this along with a bit of yogurt, a coffee and a nectarine this morning, rode 90km, climbed 1400m and it helped me out for about 2.5 hours, then I totally crashed (bonked).

I rode a broken man, descending 14km at high speeds until we stopped at a little grocery store where I ate a giant chocolate covered waffle, an Orangina and (God forbid) an apple to get me home. My riding buddy chugged a Coke and ate 'Roast Chicken' flavoured chips. We roared home, high on junk food - it was ugly.

I felt so much better eating my PBBH and coffee this AM. I am gonna sleep well tonight.

RABikes2
10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Mmmmmmm, over the years there have been a "few" pb&j on whole wheat bread sandwiches on rides over 100 miles; yum. Cut into fours in a sandwich bag in back pocket ... hardly have to change positions to grab a piece and eat while riding. Oh baby, baby ... gourmet food on the long ones. My very favorite (oh my gosh, not on rides though) is to add dill pickle slices. Oh yeahhhh, the flavors just mix so well. ;) It's still my 90 year old Aunt Vera's favorite sandwich. :)

I usually like 'em all, but crunchy pb with (my homemade) strawberry preserves are at the top of favorites...no honey and no milk.
RA

Seramount
10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
listen up, here's how you make a pbj sammie.

toss some butter in a skillet, melt it, smear it around. Toss in some earthy hippie bread (the kind with nuts and other stuff in it) and fry til slightly golden brown...slather some decent peanut butter (no Jif or Peter Pan nastiness) on one piece of bread and some chunks o' fruit home-made strawberry preserves on the other.

Grab frozen mug from freezer, fill with milk (preferably high-fat variety).

Consume with conspicuous lip-smacking noises.

maunahaole
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Grape jam sucks.

Raspberry or strawberry only.

Get with the program viper.

fierte_poser
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I had these little gems for the first time at one of the rest stops on this year's Missouri MS150 ride.

They hit the spot. I don't know where you can buy them locally. Anyone else familiar with these?

http://www.pierrefoods.com/clovervale/PBJBar.html

Viper
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I had these little gems for the first time at one of the rest stops on this year's Missouri MS150 ride.

They hit the spot. I don't know where you can buy them locally. Anyone else familiar with these?

http://www.pierrefoods.com/clovervale/PBJBar.html

I started to drool, looking at that photo.

Blue Jays
10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Coat both sides of bread with peanut butter to prevent jelly/jam from soaking through if sandwich won't be consumed for a few hours.
Works like a charm everytime. :)

Cdub
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Cashew butter or Almond Butter these days with organic strawberry preserves. Whole Grain Bread! Then the key to make it great. Toast it!!!!! Hard to do while riding, but man that is a good combo.

Also will add cheethos if available.

I am going to make one now!

Viper
10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Coat both sides of bread with peanut butter to prevent jelly/jam from soaking through if sandwich won't be consumed for a few hours.
Works like a charm everytime. :)

Wow. Seriously, wow. BJ, this is something I never realized and I promise, I will never forget. Thank you. :beer:

RABikes2
11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
If you haven't tried them ... Clif MoJo Dipped Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars are excellent (with real jelly :)). Taste like pb&j w/o the bread ... great on long rides. Sweet, salty, and crunchy all mixed together. Yummmm ;)

Clif MoJo Pretzel and Peanut Butter Bars and MoJo Mountain Mix Bars are real good, too.

Just saying ...

RA

Elefantino
11-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Peter Pan. Now that they're making it again. Creamy is best.

Welch's Grape Jelly.

Wonder bread.

That's it. The all-American meal.

No need to even tip the waitress.

Blue Jays
11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
"...No need to even tip the waitress..."
Let me get this straight, you don't believe it tipping? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFUDbOldMs) :banana:

Viper
11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Let me get this straight, you don't believe it tipping? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFUDbOldMs) :banana:

Wait a minute! You posted in a non-cycling thread and you made a youtube linky. :)

Blue Jays
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
/\/\ Sure! I know you enjoyed watching it, too.

Keith A
11-07-2008, 09:28 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cynical_1/goober.jpg

Keith A
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM

RPS
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't get why anyone eats peanut butter. :confused: