PDA

View Full Version : After Market S&S Coupling

Satellite
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Anyone have a good recommendation of a shop and current approx cost to have a Moots VaMoots retro fitted with S&S Couplers? I would also need to buy the travel suitcase and cable splitters any idea how much the whole package would cost?

I am headed out for a long ride I hope to have a bunch of responses when I get back. I am going to stop by my LBS on the way home to demo ride a Serotta Ottrott. If all works out, I will change my VaMoots over to my travel steed and the Ottrott to my daily ride.

Thanks,

Satellite

PS. Sorry I am sure this has been discussed before but I am lazy time to ride.

dogdriver
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Far be it from me to steer any business away from Serotta, but a bud of mine who travels a lot has S/S couplers on his Vamoots and it's his only road bike. He tried a couple travel bikes but settled on the idea that he liked his Vamoots so much he wanted to be able to ride it anywhere. I'm not sure, but I think he had Moots do the job in Steamboat.

My $.02, chris

Charles M
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
It won't be a "shop"...

I would call S&S and ask them to refer a frame builder near you that's approved to work with them.

Call the builder and get the price.

AND....

I have an S&S case I don't need... In the case you're looking for one.

Cinci Jim
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I did a Fierte Ti earlier this year. If memory serves it was about 2 weeks from my door back to my door. With Ti couplers, silver travel case, cable couplers, padded tube covers it was a total of $1400. No repaint as it was bare ti.

Great to work with and strongly recommend.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Call David Kirk (Kirk Frameworks) or Steve Hampsten (Hampsten Bike).. Both I would highly recommend for this. Serotta does not do a post build S&S

PETE

palincss
10-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Has anyone done more S&S installations than Bilenky?

benb
10-10-2008, 03:55 PM
So if a frame is built with S&S couplers in mind does it change the tubing profile?

Like are the tubes butted different to have a thick section around the coupler?

Do any changes in the design make it superior to a regular frame that is converted?

Pete Serotta
10-10-2008, 04:09 PM
It all depends...The S&S does not require a thicker section in original design

So if a frame is built with S&S couplers in mind does it change the tubing profile? (NO)

Like are the tubes butted different to have a thick section around the coupler? (NO)

Do any changes in the design make it superior to a regular frame that is converted? (MOST TIME NO)

bleusky
10-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I would also suggest Bilenky!!
They have converted quite a few Serotta ti frames into S&S over the years

Dekonick
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Has anyone done more S&S installations than Bilenky?

Thats where I would go.

Dekonick
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Just from what I have read...

IF you plan on making a bike with S&S - you cut the tubes, join them - re-measure then cut to length. Less chance of an unforgiving error when compared to cutting a frame and getting everything to line up...etc...

:)

Satellite
10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Far be it from me to steer any business away from Serotta, but a bud of mine who travels a lot has S/S couplers on his Vamoots and it's his only road bike. He tried a couple travel bikes but settled on the idea that he liked his Vamoots so much he wanted to be able to ride it anywhere. I'm not sure, but I think he had Moots do the job in Steamboat.

My $.02, chris

Chris,

I have already contacted Moots and they do NOT retro fit, it has to be custom ordered at the time of the build. Like Serotta NO post builds.

I got the chance to ride the Ottrott SE beautiful Red Silver Black (All Faded and blended) I couldn't have picked a better paint scheme. Wow what an experience the frame just melted away underneath me. I seriously did NOT know I was on a bike; I just got back from my double loop ride up North Cheyenne Canyon and was tired and ready to be off a bike. The cockpit was way out whack and will need some serious dialing in. Narrower bars, defiantly the bars dropped and the saddle Terry Fly yuck. I am still NOT sold on the Serotta. I also Demo'd an Ibis Silk recently and I just can't stop think about that bike. I need to get some serious miles on both models to make a determination. I rode the high end Giant and ruled that out immediately.

I will contact Bilenky and ping them for details. I was also think of doing one of the Hampsten tours next year maybe ship my frame ahead of time have her coupled and bring it back with me on the plane.

Thank you for all the replies, keep them coming all of you are a wealth of knowledge.

Best Regards,

Satellite