PDA

View Full Version : CXIIcs Review

Zard
11-07-2004, 02:28 AM
I took delivery of a new CXIIcs on Thurs and was finally able to put in a decent ride today over a variety of road surfaces and conditions.

A little background: My "road" bike is a 61 cm 2000 Legend. I'm 6'2" with a slightly longer upper torso. I love my Legend. I have never grown tired of it or desired another bike --well maybe an Ottrot....but I have kids to educate and that type of thing. Still it is the first bike that ever trully fit me. Everything else before was stock:Bianchi, Colnago, etc. that always ended up being a compromise in terms of fit. I guess I'm what of those people that fall on the outside of standard sizes.

For the last two years my Legend has ably served double duty as my triathlon bike (with clip on aero bars) after somehow finding myself getting into the triathlon scene. I have an Ironman and a couple of half Ironmans under my belt and have committed myself to this kind of torture for the foreseeable future. Hence, something a little more specific to this type of racing. I also have a VERY COOL and understanding wife. (She just got a new CIII). So I got the green light to get exactly what I wanted.

The bike was fitted by Ari at City Cycle in San Francisco. If you are in San Francisco do yourself a favor and stop by this shop. It has quite a remarkable inventory of bikes. Surely there can be but a few shops in the world with this much fully assembled bike candy. They have the absolutely coolest set of carbon fiber fenders there - thin, techy, functional and graceful all at the same time - they have that DRBK aura about them. I think they are even made in France. But I digress..... Also, everyone at City Cycle is friendly and helpful. A very professional and knowledgeable group. Their clean and organized work area speaks volumes. As an added bonus I met Ben Serotta there about a month ago. He is a REAL gentleman and I'm glad we are giving him and his employees our business. OK enough advertising....

As to the bike itself: I don't have all the angles and sizes written down so when I post a photo I'll be sure to include them. It is a Chorus equipped bike that is painted Quicksilver with a matching Reynolds clear carbon rear stay and Ouzo Aero fork. So lots of silver with black highlights. The paint job is beautiful and frankly looks deeper and more substantial than the paint on my Legend ever did. Reynolds DV Stratus carbon wheels round out the total look.

Now, as to the ride characteristics: This bike was designed to be ridden in an aero position, on aero bars with body weight forward. Going around the first corner on my aero bars I knew I had a keeper! Normally this can be a somewhat tentative position, as anyone who has ridden with aero bars can attest to. It corners in this position like a regular road bike does in a standard hands on the hoods or in the drops position. In fact, I was surprised at how much quicker and sharper it seemed to handle in comparison to my Legend.

Pedal to road power transmission is also more direct than my Legend. But hey, it is supposed to be that way. This bike is designed for the most part to go straight and fast. It has definetly gotten me into a much more comfortable aero position than the road bike with aero bar position I have been using for the last two years.

A bit of ride comfort is sacrificed for all this type of forward speed. My Legend absolutely eats up just about any type of road buzz, bumps or surface. The CXII gives more feedback over bumps but in no way throws you around or is jarring. For another comparison my Colnago is notorious for bouncing all over the place and when you hit a bump or pothole it goes right into your hands, feet, butt, etc. 65 Miles on my Colnago and it goes right back into the garage attic for another year....and me wondering why I'm holding on to it.

Obviously a hunkered down aero position is not hill friendly. Because I live and train in an area with lots of hills and a big mountain in my backyard (Mt. Diablo) Ari and Serotta did not go all out on a super aggresive triathlon/time trial frame design. Will it make it up a long climb like Mt. Diablo? Yes. Would I want to ride up more than once in a day? That's what my Legend is for.

Likewise would I want to ride this bike from SF to LA? If I wanted to do it real fast, yes. But otherwise, I'd want to be able to sit up and enjoy the view.... But to be fair it is a bike with a specific purpose in mind.

So, all in all another great Serotta ride that seems to have met all of its goals: Provide me with a comfortable, well balanced and fast aero position for Ironman distance events that we leave me ready for the run. As a bonus I was surprised at how nicely it corners and handles, especially in the aero position. Looks awesome too in a racing speed machine sort of way and that counts for something as well. Double thumbs up!!

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps anyone considering or interested in this frame.

Smiley
11-07-2004, 07:34 AM
The folks at City Cycle are grand , one day I'll get out to meet them but if Clay is their leader they must all be molded in his image which is very good.
Now about your CXII , my guess is your using the Reynolds Aero fork and the difference in the handling has more to do with proper placement of the designed Aero clip on bars relative to your weight over the front wheel versus your old set up where you probably did not weight your front wheel properly with the clip ons while trying to get in your proper tuck position . I am glad that the new bike will work best for your designed purpose of straight on forward speed. I look forward to seeing your bike in the image gallery

Zard
11-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Smiley,

I think you are right about the differences in aero bar placement affecting the handling. The CXII aero bar height is a full 2 inches lower too so lowering the center of gravity as well. Also, the entire bike was purposefully designed to have the rider in a more forward aero position.

I will post side by side photos so everyone can see that there is a noticeable difference in the two frames in terms of angles, and size, etc. There has been quite a debate raging on slowtwitch lately about Serotta's ability to build a tri bike, etc. Not sure what to make of it other than the fact that I couldn't be happier with the "tri bike" I asked them to build for me.