PDA

View Full Version : Glueing tread on tubular casing

runtimmyc
10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi all, I haven't posted much on here but I've got a question...

I have a pair of grifo challenge tubulars in the back of my car while moving to a different apartment and left them in there for a day of two. It got hot in there and now there are some spots on the tire where the tread and casing have separated because the glue melted away.

Would you recommend super glue, tubular glue, or some other glue?

Thanks,
Tim

regularguy412
10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Paging 11.4 !!

Mike in AR :beer:

10-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I actually recommend Barge Cement. This stuff is used to glue soles to hiking boots and that kind of thing. It stays very flexible, is supremely water resistant, and doesn't dry out. Pliobond isn't bad, but doesn't work quite as well. Be sure to use a new tube of Barge for something like this since it tends to get lumpy and uneven pretty quickly. Put a thin coat on casing and tread, let it dry 15 minutes, then paint a thin light line along the edge of each tread and squeeze together. Immediately pump up to about 40 psi and let it sit overnight. Challenge cross tubulars have the treads applied by hand at pressure so if you don't do this properly you end up with an over- or under-stretched tread that fails prematurely.

I've tried using latex but it frankly doesn't do as good a job as the Barge Cement, mostly because Challenge doesn't really use tire latex to glue on its rubber and anything like latex just tends to bead up and not stick well.

runtimmyc
10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks 11.4! I'll try the Barge cement out.