PDA

View Full Version : options and advice for taking the kids along

Kines
10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
My kids are at that "in between" age where they're not quite good enough to ride the bike to school, but way too big for a seat or trailer (both of which they have enjoyed emensely, BTW).

I've seen others in the 'hood with tandem attachments for this age. Any suggestions or advice from those who have been there?

KN

allezdude
10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
kinda depends on their age ...

pdmtong
10-10-2008, 09:48 AM
the adams trail a bike or similar REQUIRE the kid to have the maturity to keep their hands on the bar and the feet on the pedals. if they can't do that, you are stuck in-between. while my kid is IMHO a very good mtn biker (single track, up/down, rolling XC) I have been bringing her along much more slowly on the road. why? one mistake on the road and BLAM, big problem. the same mistake on dirt might does not have anywhere close to the same repercussions. her handling skills are excellent. her car sense is still maturing. we're long past the weaving or sudden stops and working on the subtle things like watching for car doors, crossing drive ways at speed, etc. The trail a bike was tolerated by her from ages 4-6 or so...once she made 7 she wanted to ride her own on those types of trips.