PDA

View Full Version : OT: Movie -- The Express

srenda
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
For those in the Northeast, I would recommend catching "The Express", new movie about Ernie Davis while he played at Syracuse (Disclosure: I am a Syracuse alum, and thereby partial to all things orange). Generally good movie reviews, plus it's an important story to know, IMO. Also, the footballs scenes are supposed to be decent. I am going tonight. His real nickname was the Elmira Express, for Elmira, NY. I guess Hollywood couldn't figure out how to market that. Thanks for listening.

93legendti
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I want to see the movie. When I heard about it, I thought of Levi Jackson. Levi , as a freshman in '46, became the first African-American on the Yale football team.
http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/99_10/old_yale.html

Growing up, I saw a fair amount of Levi Jackson, who was a friend of my Dad's (z"l).
He hung out at the Detroit YMCA. Although his knees were in awful shape, he was a great athlete and a really nice guy.

Ozz
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
...(Disclosure: I am a Syracuse alum, and thereby partial to all things orange).....
My fathers uncle was a chemistry professor at Syracuse way back when.....when did you graduate?

Elefantino
10-12-2008, 02:17 AM
My wife and I went to see it this afternoon. She knew nothing of the Davis story and was generally moved.

It's a well-done, solid movie. Definitely worth the ticket price.