PDA

View Full Version : More Dopers and Dopes

Monthly Payment
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
From Cyclingnews:

Cyclist Ricardo Hernandez of Miami, Florida, accepted a two-year suspension after testing positive for a prohibited substance according to the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Hernandez, 42, tested positive for exogenous testosterone, an anabolic agent, which is prohibited under the USADA Protocol and the rules of the UCI. His suspension took effect September 15, 2008, the date of his acceptance. Hernandez was disqualified from all competitive results achieved on and subsequent to March 2, 2008, the date his urine sample was collected at the Vuelta Independencia National, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

It's depressing what some people resort to. I'm super competitive, but I'm smart enough to know what's right and what's not. Bunde, Papp, now another amateur dopes to win masters races.

It's the end of a long day, so I can't quite express what it is about this guy that bothers me that he's willing to dope. It's something about him being older than Bunde or Papp. I'm not saying either of those guys were excusable, but there's something extremely disturbing about a 42 year old who does it. You should have enough life experience to depend on not to dope.

And for what it's worth, his results:
http://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=118854

Ligero
10-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I haven't raced in Florida for a few years but if he is who I am thinking about he raced for Once in the 90's. He was also a little to strong for a couple of races and then mid pack finisher the next couple.

keevon
10-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Makes you wonder how prevalent amateur doping is.

duke
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
High school kids are doping to play football. You almost have to assume that the Cat. 1,2,3,4, Masters or whatever next to you is doping also. A lot of people will do anything to win. I am 54, pretty much retired, and loving life. I already won. No doping necessary. My opinion of course.
duke

Charles M
10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I wish I wondered.

I've had more than a couple mid cat guys ask me about "my doctor..." I don't have one (of those), but I wouldn't guess they're without...

Nothing to me is more sad than a no hoper 28 year old "living the dream" and feeling like, as one guy put it, "doing the job"...

Yeah the pressure to win is just so damn intense when a 20% shop discount and a free jersey (when you buy the team bib's) is on the line...

And of course they're also the guys that can't lift a hand to wave to folks (despite the fact that the top level pro's that ride round here can manage it.

T.J.
10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
it's sad but not surprising :rolleyes: pretty sure i have have raced against guys all year that were "chemically enhanced"...to each their own i guess

jmc22
10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I guess I'm so far out of the loop on this that even if I wanted to try it (doping) when I use to race, I wouldn't know the 1st place to get it.... :bike:

Avispa
10-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Makes you wonder how prevalent amateur doping is.

Yeah.... If you guys only knew! Amateur cycling in Europe was really, really bad when I was racing (90's). I am certain it is not much better now. The reason: the controls are not as stringent as there is less money on it.

Now, some of these guys from Miami... I have been approached at bike shops with questions and remarks as these:

"Hey, what it is that you guys took in Europe...." I reply, "I don't know... I certainly didn't try anything." Then I reply, "Why are you asking? (the person does look like a "real" racer), "Do you race?" "Oh, no... I don't" the person says, "I just want to beat the guys on the weekend rides..." :eek: :eek:

Then, a couple of months later, the same guy I saw at the bike shop, I see flying on the weekend rides!

..A..

GregL
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Sad but true. PEDs are very prevalent in many amateur sports and in some lines of work. Before becoming a cycling enthusiast, I used to be a gym rat, spending hours lifting weights. It was amazing to watch people put on huge amounts of muscle in a matter of months. It certainly wasn't just from hard work and good diet... And the worst abusers? Young (high school and college age) athletes and law enforcement personnel.

Since becoming a cyclist and amateur racer, I've seen my share of riders shoot up through the USCF ranks. Invariably, most of them disappear from the scene in a fairly short time. They seem to burn out mentally -- and likely physically. Those of us who are in the sport for fun, fitness, and friendships seem to have a much longer tenure.

Regards,
Greg

capybaras
10-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Those of us who are in the sport for fun, fitness, and friendships seem to have a much longer tenure.

Regards,
Greg

Well said, Greg Lemond. Allez! :banana:

sailorboy
10-11-2008, 07:45 AM
also a problem with young guys in the military who I see as a healthcare provider. Likely a dangerous combination of pressure to be/look tough along with the culture of instant gratification we have adopted in recent generations that this population is vulnerable to.