PDA

View Full Version : Achieved my Season Goal today!!!!!!!!

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2004, 08:33 PM
I passed four thousand miles for the season today! That was my season (read “calendar year“) goal and is almost five hundred miles better than last year--and by far the most I’ve ever ridden in a season. Hopefully I’ll ad another couple of hundred miles before the snow flies.

It happened as we came back in on route 5S today with about a 25mph tailwind and happened almost EXACTLY in front of a bar where they have large signs proclaiming, “No car parking! Bikes only!” Even though it’s plainly meant for Harleys it was still pretty cool. The bar is called “The Bad Pig” because it’s owned and run by a former Schenectady police officer who was convicted and served jail time for paying stoolies with confiscated drugs. (I am NOT making this up!)

But I digress . . . So what were YOUR goals for this season? Have you achieved them? Or not? How did you arrive at having them in the first place? And whether you achieved them or not, where do you go from here?

Yes, it’s an absolutely serious post from me--there’s a first time for absolutely EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

BBDave

TimD
11-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I passed 4000 on Thursday, all alone by myself on a deserted road through the woods in Stow, Massachusetts. After missing by ~1% last year (3960), I have a reasonable shot at 4500 as long as I don't slack off and the excellent weather we've been having continues.

If it doesn't, I'll just have to roll out the befendered Jamis I've been slowly molding into shape all summer :)

Ride strong!

Big Dan
11-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm at 3650 today..looking for 4000 this year after logging 5000 last year.
Last year I was out of work for a month... :D

Madship
11-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Were to double '03's mileage (2119) ride my first century and climb Hunt Lake Road, which I had to push the bike part of the way in 03 (about 1.75 miles at an average of 9%).

I rode my first Century in July and a second in July. On August 28 I doubled last year and road Hunt lake road.

Tomorrow I should break 6000 for the year. If not sentenced to two weeks in Harteford before the end of the year 7k would be a legitimate possibility. My current mileage was completely inconeivable at the start of the year.

Orin
11-07-2004, 01:28 AM
I passed four thousand miles for the season today! That was my season (read “calendar year“) goal and is almost five hundred miles better than last year--and by far the most I’ve ever ridden in a season. Hopefully I’ll ad another couple of hundred miles before the snow flies.

<SNIP>

But I digress . . . So what were YOUR goals for this season? Have you achieved them? Or not? How did you arrive at having them in the first place? And whether you achieved them or not, where do you go from here?

Yes, it’s an absolutely serious post from me--there’s a first time for absolutely EVERYTHING! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Good job on meeting your goal. My goal is merely to keep the rubber side down.

As for miles, I'm just over 4800 miles for the year. I'm not going to beat the previous two years which each came in about 6100 miles.

Orin.

hypnos
11-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Congratulations on achieving your goal for the year.

Have not done so well myself. I surpassed 4000 miles last year, but only at 3600-3700 miles this year. Don't know my exact mileage, as I have resisted the urge to strap a computer on my fixie. With the snow on the way, and daylight savings time over, the 4000 mile mark appears unachievable this year.

Oh well...... at least I feel more fit than last year.

Jeff

M_A_Martin
11-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Congratulations Dave!

I missed my goal of 2000 outdoor miles and no injuries by 150 miles and a torn ACL. :(

However, overall I suspect I'll reach 2000 miles for the year as my PT wants me to ride my trainer as much as I want to...right now the knee can tolerate about 25 minutes. ;) I never thought I'd be happy to be riding an indoor trainer.

Next year's goal is 4000 outdoor miles and improved mtb handling. Maybe a race or two (mtb, not road...unless I find a time trial in Michigan somewhere)

Ginger

dirtdigger88
11-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Great job, Dave!!!

It is always nice to reach goals- no matter what they are. I am on pace for 2500 miles this year :crap: If you remember back from before the TdFL- I almost did not go du to lack of riding time this season. My job has taken me out of state 3 to 4 days a week for the last several months. I also am the proud father of a great 9 month old. I guess when it is all said and done- I have reached some goals this year and did not even realize it. I am blessed with a heathly son and I am devoting most of my time to making him a great person. I figure you can never start too young. In the mean time I have managed miles that to many here is not that much but to non cyclist is impossible :p In the end I figure you are only here such a short period of time- you might as well make the most of it. Again- great job- Sir BEE

Jason

RABikes2
11-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Congrats Dave and all on meeting your year goals!

I hoped to get one mile more than last year (8,001 miles in 2003). I just added up this years mileage to date, I think I have to go for it. As of today, 8,448 miles are logged. Looks like I'm going for 9,500 for 2004. Will she make it? In 2005, depending on my knees :crap: and my saddle issues :crap: (we're working on that), I hope to do the brevet series, again, and go back to BMB to complete what I started minus the saddle bruising. The plan is to start at the beginning of the year, organize my distance events with the fundraising efforts, to benefit the Davis Phinney Foundation. I only had two months to get donations this year; not in 2005 though...doubling or tripling (or more!) the donations will only then, satisfy me.

Ahhh...Ben...I love my Legend Ti. (No smart comments from the open house attendees, please :p ) I started riding her in January 2003; if I achieve the 9,500 miles for this year, that'll be a two year total of 17,500. I'd be happy to test ride (for durability, of course) a 2005 Ottrott, if that job becomes available. :D

CNY rider
11-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I've been waiting for this kind of thread to appear. It's just the right time for me since today was my last ride on my new Legend for the year (lake effect snow starting tomorrow, followed shortly thereafter by hunting season makes it so.).

My goal for this year was 2000 miles. Last year I rode about 1800.

I got my new Legend in mid-August. That really put me into overdrive. Having only done 200 road miles as of June 1, I am proud to say I hit 2160 today.

Hoping for 2500 next year. One key for me will be to start road biking earlier than I did this year. We had a wet spring, so I stayed on my mountain bike well into April and even parts of May.

shinomaster
11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
my goal for the year was simply to stay healthy and get fit and race cross. I did my second cross race this morning at 9:30 am...Oh my gawd it was hard. Torture..

fun too...

Chief
11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
I am at 7,700 miles which is about 450 miles off of my pace of 9,300 miles last year because of business and personal travel. Hope to do 9,000 miles before the end of the year if the weather here holds. I have put 17,800 miles on my Ottrott over a two-year period.

rePhil
11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Congrats to everyone for their accomplishments!
After many years of keeping track I had an off year.The makeup and mentality of the group I ride / rode changed dramatically and I witnessed 2 broken hips and 3 collarbones within a year. So I backed off a bit, no, actually a lot. No more training in the rain. (I live in Florida and the summers are pretty wet) My mileage went way down. Throw in the stress of a forced early retirement and the major life changes that went with it completed the down cycle. The upside is that I have started to ride my bike to my new gig at a special needs school. Riding is as fun as ever, maybe not as fast or competitive but every bit as much fun.

kelmeboyAZ
11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Just clicked past 4550 today. Will hopefully reach my annual goal of 5000, maybe even 5200 or 5300 if I'm lucky! I've got about 6000 miles on my '03 Ottrott (got it in 10/03) and each day I love it more and more! Thank you Serrotta, Paraic McGlynn (fitter extraordinaire) and the boys at Bicycle Ranch in Scottsdale, AZ. I hope to ride this frame another 40 or 50K miles - I'm taking this thing up or down with me when I go to that long road beyond(will Vredestein Fortezzas melt down there?)!

Sandy
11-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Last year I had a goal of 5,000 miles and I made almost 6,000. This year I had a goal of at least 6,000. Although I have over 5,000 thus far, I don't think that I will make 6,000, as I am a cold weather riding baby.

More important were goals of losing weight and keeping up with certain groups, or at least staying close enough on climbs to be able to keep up, as I am ok on flats and downhills. My weight keeps going up, up, up each year for the last couple. I have improved pedal stroke and ride a little more sensibly, but I am not at the next level, at which I want to be.

But I am blessed to be able to ride, with few problems at my age, and I am cardiovascularly very fit, which is most important, certainly as one gets older.

I am very blessed that Serotta Alyson has not run me off the forum thus far, and hence, I am allowed to interact with all of you wonderful posters and viewers.

Thank you Ben Serotta and all.......

Too Fat but STill ST happy Sandman

toaster
11-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Let's see, I must have gone over 7,000 miles this last year but I don't have a mileage goal. I try to do my miles in training blocks with 3 weeks building then one week where I cut back before building up in the next cycle.

My goals are not to crash or get injured. Last season was my first ever road racing season, the goals I set then were to get a few top ten finishes in a Masters 45+ race. I achieved that and even got into the top five. I finished twenty first in Southern California in M-45+ for the season point totals.

I learned alot. Gaining a bit of race psychology and practicing some pure determination at critical moments during the race were huge in how well I raced. I made a lot of mistakes too.

What I need to do this year is to get more knowledge of race tactics. For skills I will practice leg speed drills early in training and work later on a much stronger and faster sprint. I'm working much more on function and fit as well as stretching and core strength. I've got some sciatic/piriformis/sacroilliac issues I'm trying to sort out which aren't hurting me as much as probably limiting me.

In November through January will be base mileage and aerobic training zones. We'll see if better oxygen utilization helps in my interval and speed training.

My goals are to win at least two crits and podium in a road race.

coylifut
11-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks for asking that question, it made me go back and read my original goals for the year.

My goal was to log 550 hours and I hit it. So, I rode somewhere between 8-9k miles. Another goal was top 10 in my states BAR, I got 8th. I also wanted to complete 7 cross races, I did and I wanted to podium in my states road championship, oops 4th. I had a goal to win a particular road race and I made the break, but then crashed out after someone blew a tire and took at a handful of us. That's racing, oh well.

The best thing that happened this year was not on my goal sheet at all. My wife one day decided that she wanted to go out to the track and watch me ride. She really got into it and that support has made it all that more enjoyable. When cross season started, her and my two daughters became quite the fans. We get there early and get a parking spot right on the course and set up a camp with a canopy and chairs. After the race, we have a full picnic and cheer on the next category. I used to drive to the races alone, compete-hang out with friends and leave alone. Now, its a lot more fun. My oldest daughter runs to various spots on the course and yells "go daddy." Today, a small bunch of folks were helping her out all yelling "go daddy" as I went by. In the meantime, my wife and daughter are watching the race from the car huddled under a 12V electric blanket.

Shino. I rode three races today. Well, I didn’t make it more than 100 yards in the first.

BumbleBeeDave
11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
. . . and humbled by the achievements of people on this forum! Pretty darn good for a bunch of old fart lawyers, doctors, and jaded capitalists--if the stereotypical Serotta demographic is to be believed! ;)

Madship and RABikes2 just leave me shaking my head . . . Madship TRIPLED his mileage from last year?!?! And here I was so damn smug about just going up by 500! :rolleyes:

RA, you are one amazing lady! I hope to be riding half as many miles as you are per year by the time I reach your advanced age! (five years from now!)

And Mary Ann . . . you hurt yourself AGAIN?!?! :crap: :crap: :crap:

Sandy . . . enjoy all that slow mileage while you can. Once Gloria finds out you have stolen Bill Bove’s (not yet existent) girlfriend she will be chasing you with those meathook souveniers you kept when you retired and you will have to ride fast, fast, FAST! ;) ;) :D

BBDave

george
11-07-2004, 11:59 PM
My goal this year is to ride more miles than I drive! As of this Sunday:
bike 3804 miles
drive 3525 miles
It is going to be close now that Chicago winter is approching. My biggeset bike miles so far was last year with just under 2000, so this year by far is my best year for cycling miles. But last year I ran in three Marathons and loged 1200 miles of running in addition to the 2000 bike! This year it is all about the bike no marathons I ran a couple 5K, 8K and a duathlon but no marathons (my total run miles is ONLY at 108) you see I am an Ironman wannabe I can do the bike and the run part, my obstacle is the swim I never learned as a kid I plan this year to learn form and practice form and maybe enter olympic and half Ironman races and go for the full Ironman in 2006...but what ever happens I am ENJOYING the JOURNEY TO IRONMAN! :) :cool: ;) :)

P.S. Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike, followed by a full marathon (26.2 miles) Half Ironman is 1.2 m swim, 56m bike and a 13.1 m run and olympic distance triathlon is 9/10 m swim, 24.8 bike, and a 6.2 m run

RABikes2
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey George,
Get in touch with a local tri club; ask for names at a bike or running store near you. The tri club in our town is a branch off of the local running club. I'm sure Chicago has a few with some of the nice tri's they hold there. Join the club to meet like minded people and ask somebody to recommend a decent swim coach who can teach you the basics in the crawl. Then look into your local Y (or swim center) to find a Masters swim program. Start now and stick it out for three sessions a week. Guarantee you will be swimming in your first Oympic and 1/2 Iron during 2005. 2006 will be a great year for you to do your first Ironman. I've done 4 Ironmans and during the swims, I'd repeat to myself..."just get through the swim, your bike is waiting for you." :D Remember "Positive thoughts bring positive results." You WILL learn how to swim and have a blast at your future races. Keep us up to date!

Best wishes! :)

Russ
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Congrats Dave.... By the way, you all are mileage pigs... aminals, pure aminals!!!

So far, I have 4500, but I don't know what will be with about two full months left in the year... maybe another 1000? Man, I think if I rode as much as RABikes2, I would be about 120 lbs!

By the way Dave, what are "stoolies"?

dirtdigger88
11-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Russ,

I would not guess you to be much over 120 now :p

Jason

jerk
11-08-2004, 10:20 PM
the jerk rides for his idiot self.....10,000 miles and some change. slow as molasses but at least the jerk isn't as fat as he should be....(the sad part is the majority of those miles was on the big orange mx leader with down tube shifters and the paris-roubaix wheels and the swallow saddle....all sources point to the jerk deserving some sort of wool sweater and helmet mirror as a prize.)

coylifut
11-08-2004, 10:42 PM
the jerk rides for his idiot self.....10,000 miles and some change. slow as molasses but at least the jerk isn't as fat as he should be....(the sad part is the majority of those miles was on the big orange mx leader with down tube shifters and the paris-roubaix wheels and the swallow saddle....all sources point to the jerk deserving some sort of wool sweater and helmet mirror as a prize.)

wool jersey for sure. a helmet mirror would ruin it.

gasman
11-08-2004, 10:45 PM

Dear Jerk-
I achieved just under half the miles you accumulated this year at a pace that probably makes your supposed slow as molasses pace look outstanding. Don't put yourself down buddy,we all learn from you.
I was happy to get the milage I did with work and family. I'm amazed at what many of the people on this board have accomplished. So many doing so much.
I am not worthy,I am not worthy.

Jack Brunk
11-08-2004, 11:14 PM
I finished the season at 8118 miles. I finished 6 double centuries and 7 single centuries. My other goal goal was to climb Mt. Whitney which I did in July. Next year my goal is 8 doubles and the Furnace creek 508. 2005 will be my year to get ready for a try at the Race Across America in 2006.

Jack

Tom
11-09-2004, 05:14 AM
I wanted to do a whole year without over training. That's always a big problem for me. I guess it didn't happen. About the end of August riding was almost a chore. By the end of September I didn't want to go to the trouble of riding outdoors, and felt nothing any time I looked at the bike. Too bad it's cold and dark now because I am just getting back into feeling like heading out again. Alas, down to the trainer.

Next year, I plan what I'm doing and build in a little off time every now and then.

And this time I mean it!

spiderman
11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
until the ottrott delivery date may 9th...
i had a seemingly unrealistic goal of 3200
before the snow flew
in order to hit the dollar per mile mark
and clock at least 100 miles per week.
i just turned over 3500 today
while fighting what seemed like a 40 mph head wind!
the ride out was a blast, coasting at 30-32 mph
the ride back was great, closing in on the goal
feeling strong and victorious...
...let it snow!

ericmurphy
11-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I have two big ones coming up in the next few hundred miles. I have 4,988.1 miles so far this year, so if it's not raining out when I get home from work, I should get past the 5,000 mile mark tonight. I'll then have about seven weeks to beat last year's 5,569.5 miles, which given all the 175-mile weekends I've been getting in should be very reachable. That would make 2004 my best year ever (especially since 3,500 of those miles will be on my Legend).

Also, I'm coming up on my 30,000 mile lifetime milestone. I'm 29,643.7 miles right now, so that should come up in about three or four weeks.

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
“Stoolie” = “Stool Pigeon” = informer

As in, “Serotta Steve is my factory stoolie. He’ll let me know when those new Ottrott’s are ready to ship!”

BBDave