PDA

View Full Version : any Brooks saddle owners out there?

jmr986
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I've been fiddling with my SI Pro Link and it still is far from comfortable. When it feels better on the sit bones, the boys have a tendency to go numb.

Been looking to other saddles; Aliante k;ium, SI Max Flite, and the Brooks B17. I know YMMV when it comes to saddles. But, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of satisfied Brooks owners out there. Weight for the saddle is not an issue for me. I'm a clydesdale so I can skip a slice of pizza to negate the few hundred gram premium of a Brooks. Besides there always is the ti railed Brooks', albeit pretty expensive. But how can you put a value on your arse?

I'm thinking black with the silver rivets would look cool on my black carbon frame. any happy owners out there? :help:

mschol17
10-08-2008, 04:36 PM
How much saddle-bar drop do you have? If your bars are lower than your saddle a Team Pro is probably a better option.

thwart
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a B17 with 400-500 miles on it, prior to that was a Brooks virgin (love that phrase...).

Still mildly uncomfortable for me, but getting better. I'd say 30-40 miles or so of riding is tolerable at this point.

I Proofrided (sp?) it once thoroughly on both sides before riding.

But... I'm 5-10 1/2 and 150 lbs. Aliante's work well for me.

SoCalSteve
10-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I've been fiddling with my SI Pro Link and it still is far from comfortable. When it feels better on the sit bones, the boys have a tendency to go numb.

Been looking to other saddles; Aliante k;ium, SI Max Flite, and the Brooks B17. I know YMMV when it comes to saddles. But, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of satisfied Brooks owners out there. Weight for the saddle is not an issue for me. I'm a clydesdale so I can skip a slice of pizza to negate the few hundred gram premium of a Brooks. Besides there always is the ti railed Brooks', albeit pretty expensive. But how can you put a value on your arse?

I'm thinking black with the silver rivets would look cool on my black carbon frame. any happy owners out there? :help:

I know from trying out saddles...Thats not to say what works for me will work for you...

That being said...Call Wallbike.com and have them sell you a Brooks B-17 (they offer a 6 month satisfaction guarantee). Then buy a 2008 Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flo and give that a whirl (about $120.00) retail (no return policy anywhere I know of)....

You will hate the Brooks unless you set it up with the nose pointing up a bit...Look at pictures on this site of bikes that have B-17's mounted on them, you will see that they look a bit retarded....But, thats the way that they become a "Century Saddle".

As for the Selle Italia, its a great saddle for up to about 50 miles....But, it looks great on any bike as it gets a 10 in my book for style points....Mount the saddles accordingly.

Good luck!

Steve

fourflys
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I recently bought a Brooks 17 pro and really love it. I thought my Terry Fly Ti was pretty good, but it doesn't compare to the Brooks! My butt was pretty happy with the Brooks from the beginning. Wallbike is a pretty safe bet and if you call them, they can tell which model might be best for your bike setup/riding style. BTW- I'm riding a Rivendell Bleriot with my bars same height as my saddle and the nose pointing slightly up (I feel as if I slip forward otherwise).

Chris

palincss
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Besides there always is the ti railed Brooks', albeit pretty expensive. But how can you put a value on your arse?

"Pay any price, bear any burden..." Without a comfortable saddle, you simply can't ride long distances.

You may count me a happy owner six times over.

SoCalSteve
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
"Pay any price, bear any burden..." Without a comfortable saddle, you simply can't ride long distances.

You may count me a happy owner six times over.

I have 5 B-17 Ti railed saddles...

Thinking of maybe selling one or two of them ( I have one thats brand new)...as I ride a "modern-plastic" saddle more often now.

Steve

jmr986
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
How much saddle-bar drop do you have? If your bars are lower than your saddle a Team Pro is probably a better option.

Bar is at saddle height. Im old and inflexible too!

Mike748
10-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I've been riding Brooks since about 1981. Still have that B17 Narrow but my posterior doesn't fit it as well anymore so its hanging on the wall. I have new-ish Team Pro's on three bikes and a new B17 Special on the fixie with upright bars. I much prefer the Pro on the drop bar bikes. The shape has a deeper cut to the sides which gives more room for my thighs as I like to sit to the rear. The Pro is also made of much thicker leather than the B17. Should last longer but takes longer to break in. I had to resort to the Sheldon Brown soak-it method when the first didn't break in after about 400 miles. Went quickly after that. Soaked the other two right off with great results.

Ken Robb
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
there can be variation in Brooks saddles even when they are the same model. I have several. One was wider between my thighs even new so I drilled a few holes in the skirt area and zip-tied the sides closer together for a "custom" narrow fit that works for me.

kingcounty07
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
i am very happy with my b-17, i got it new and only took about a month to really break it in, i was riding a lot more back then, i'm not sure if this may be slow or fast for others, anyways, my fixed gear right now has a seat that drastically needs to be replaced, it is an old cinelli unicator i had laying around, but it, unlike my brooks, has a plastic mold underneath the leather that is killer on long rides, it really makes me appreciate the comfort of my other saddle. long story made short: brooks makes quality products

Frankwurst
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I've had other saddles I like but I always go back to a Brooks. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Another satisfied Brooks User right here.... :beer:

send me you Brooks. for 200 frn (a paltry sum by today's standards)
I'll break in for Brooks for ya .... There ain't a Brooks alive that can
stand up to my Posterior. :p

For extra stubborn Brooks, we offer the William option for an additional
100 frn. ;)

Us Clydesdales are actually good for something ! :D

chuckroast
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I bought my first Brooks (B-17, steel rail) this last off season and rode it this year. Once I got it positioned correctly for me (nose slightly up) and broken in it was great. Century ride, no sore butt the next day. I've never had that on any other saddle I've owned.

I don't think I'll put one on my other bikes because they tend to go shorter distances than my Serotta but I'm a big believer.

WadePatton
10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Short version of the story: I have 5 rigged bikes. 4 are wearing Brooks, the other bike I don't ride. I bought a roadie set up SS recently and it came with a good looking name brand plastic saddle--so I rode it. First time I'd ridden anything but a Brooks in a few years. It S-U-C-K-E-D on a very short (20ish mile) ride. My butt has been thoroughly converted. If I can't feel that leather flexing-not going to be a good time.

I found the Swift to be too narrow for me and am much happier on a full-sized B17. My atb actually has a B5N on it-made in the 70's and I bought NOS off ebay some time back. It was a trick to break in-and the only one I ever really suffered on, but still remember the day when the "switch was flipped".

Knife and a hole punch allow one unlimited mods to a leather saddle--see "butchered and tied" at Wallbike.

THE BREAK IN method I prefer (and give credit to where ever I found it): Place damp cloth or sponge on saddle for several minutes before riding-damp it down. Ride. Repeat until sit bone dimples start to appear (could be 50 or 500 miles)-THEN AND NOT BEFORE apply proofhide or your favorite leather goo and be butt happy!

Tilt--try it level and when you get tired of sliding fwd, tilt the nose up. If you slide back, you went too far.

Some say the ti rails make a difference in ride quality-and I don't doubt that but, the main difference is the form-to-arse function and the hammock effect.

I might could possibly go with plastic for 'cross, but won't unless I'm threatening the podium-and that may be a year or two yet. For training and all other riding, I'll consider nothing else.

HTH and never you worry--if Wallingford won't take it back, someone here will buy it if you don't like. note I prefer the hammered copper rivets! ;)

ispy
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I have two.

My first ride on a B-17 was a century. In retrospect that was kind of stupid but honestly that saddle was comfy from Day 1. YMMV of course.

Don't let the rivets make you think "uncomfortable".

Ken Robb
10-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Dear Wade, You are one folksy son-of-a-gun. I love your posts. They remind me of my first wife's family: Really neat folks from Guntersville, AL.

Ahneida Ride
10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I do suspect Brooks uses a "choice" part of the hide for the Ti versions.
I'll bet 1 frn on that.

They do use a distinct part of the hide for the Professionals ...
They are a stiffer saddle.

WadePatton
10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Dear Wade, You are one folksy son-of-a-gun. I love your posts. They remind me of my first wife's family: Really neat folks from Guntersville, AL.
I is who I is! (have a pile of degrees, but like it this way better) Thanks. :cool:

I fished on the Guntersville Lake once. :D

palincss
10-09-2008, 06:19 AM
THE BREAK IN method I prefer (and give credit to where ever I found it): Place damp cloth or sponge on saddle for several minutes before riding-damp it down. Ride. Repeat until sit bone dimples start to appear (could be 50 or 500 miles)-THEN AND NOT BEFORE apply proofhide or your favorite leather goo and be butt happy!

I first heard that method described by Bill Boston a long, long time ago.

OldDog
10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
I got my first B-17 in 1972. Still have it, though hardly rode these days. Have had a few others. A Regal with good shorts also works for me and gives a classic look. But looks mean squat 60 miles into a century if your bottom is not happy...

William
10-09-2008, 07:11 AM
I do suspect Brooks uses a "choice" part of the hide for the Ti versions.
I'll bet 1 frn on that.

They do use a distinct part of the hide for the Professionals ...
They are a stiffer saddle.

Brooks saddles?

I thought they were raw hide chew toys for your dog. Bruno Boxer and Rhea Basset both have one to knaw on. :p

BaaWoo!!!
BaaWoo!!!

William ;)

MilanoTom
10-09-2008, 07:12 AM
I've had a few Brooks over the years. I'll ride them for a while, go back to plastic saddles, then try them again, etc. Didn't like the B-17 (got too soft too quickly); didn't like the Swift (too narrow); liked the Team Pro.

The only other recommendation I can offer is to not follow all the advise you'll hear & read. For everyone who likes them with the nose slightly up, there are others (like me) who found it extremely uncomfortable. It's pretty much all trial and error.

Regards,
Tom

jmr986
10-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a black B17 special. Thanks for everyone's input.

For those of you in the market, boy are they getting hard to get. I spoke with Bill at Wallingford. Evidently, the euro builders are starting to put Brooks on their high end bikes. The distributor is shipping more selles over, limiting the amount of space in the container available for Brooks. Bill had a rather large increase in B17 prices (but still competive) last week. B17 std from $82 to $96 and Specials with steel rails from $106 to $136. He didn't even have any proofide so there was no point in buying a new saddle if I couldn't prep it.

Modern Bike (no affiliation) seemed to have a large selection of reasonably priced Brooks'.

thanks again to the forumites.

Joe

WadePatton
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The boot goo from Nick's (Nick's Custom Boots in Spokane) looks feels and smells suspiciously like Proofhide to me. I don't think the leather will ever know the difference. Besides-if you follow the "Bill Boston" method of break-in, you won't need any goo for several rides.

palincss
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM
The boot goo from Nick's (Nick's Custom Boots in Spokane) looks feels and smells suspiciously like Proofhide to me. I don't think the leather will ever know the difference. Besides-if you follow the "Bill Boston" method of break-in, you won't need any goo for several rides.

Yes, but you wouldn't need the Bill Boston Break-In Method for a B.17 anyway. That advice is most appropriate for the Team Pro, which may require substantial break-in. The B.17's usually good to go right out of the box, and (in my experience) good for centuries once you've got around 100 miles on it.

Rivendell recommends Obenauf's saddle goop. http://www.rivbike.com/search/run?query=proofide&commit=Search#product=31-344