PDA

View Full Version : Bike fit recomendations for SF Bay Area?

chuckaw
10-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Any advice on who to go to? I live in Palo Alto but could drive anywhere.

scottcw2
10-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Velotech on Emerson would be good. Otherwise, look here for Serotta dealers with fit training - http://www.serotta.com/dealer.html.

bagochips3
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I was impressed with the folks at Cycle Sports in Oakland. I didn't get fit there, but they are a Serotta dealer and have all the Serotta fit certifications. So if you are thinking of buying a Serotta, that's where I would go. Very cool, knowledgeable staff. Jeremey was the one who helped me out; I went for a test ride and he swapped stems etc to get the bike dialed in for me and encouraged a long test ride. He definitely went the extra mile over and above what other shops did for me when I went for test rides. :beer:

I got fit at Whole Athlete in San Anselmo (where I live). It was a good experience and Dario spent about 2 hours tweaking my position and then recommended my current bike for me (Fierte). I used to have neck and lower back problems, now I don't. So I'm a satisfied customer. :banana:

sbornia
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Over the last 10 years, I've had fittings at City Cycles (SF), Left Coast (Berkeley), Velo Tech (PA), Eden Bicycles (Castro Valley), and the U.C. Davis sports medicine clinic. As I've mentioned before, Rick Yu at Eden was by far the best.

Ti Designs
10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Is 3000 miles too far to go?

jimp1234
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Depends on the kind of kit you're looking for. If you've been riding for a while, and you're trying to address a specific issue like a knee, back or foot problem the only person I'd recommend would be Andy Pruitt in Boulder. For a very good "basic" fitting I'd give Ari Bronzstein at Bespoke Cycles(formerly at City Cycles)in the city a try.

Pete Serotta
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Is 3000 miles too far to go? NOT IF IT IS BEFORE NOVEMBER AND YOU PAY FOR THE TICKET AND WINE ( I already have a glass for a cool dude :) 0

Ti Designs
10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
If you've been riding for a while, and you're trying to address a specific issue like a knee, back or foot problem the only person I'd recommend would be Andy Pruitt in Boulder.

Well, I'm out of a job...

bfd
10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

A bit far from Palo Alto, but Tony Tom at A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA is considered one of the best fitters in the SF Bay Area. Here's a link about the shop:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A-Bicycle-Odyssey.htm

RudAwkning
10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Over the last 10 years, I've had fittings at City Cycles (SF), Left Coast (Berkeley), Velo Tech (PA), Eden Bicycles (Castro Valley), and the U.C. Davis sports medicine clinic. As I've mentioned before, Rick Yu at Eden was by far the best.

I've heard the same about Rick at Eden.

kerrycycle
10-09-2008, 01:15 AM
+1 for these guys. Chris and any of the experienced guys there are good.

erector
10-09-2008, 01:30 AM
go and see Mark or Tom at Velotech on emerson, and you'll be one happy camper.

thejen12
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Curtis Cramblett at revolutionsinfitness.com. He's in San Jose, near the Branham & Camden light rail station.

Jenn

kkrumme
10-14-2008, 05:17 PM
You might try Christopher Kautz, at PK Cycling in Palo Alto. He is an instructor for the SICI and a top notch fitter.
Kathy Krumme

Skrawny
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Depends on the kind of kit you're looking for. If you've been riding for a while, and you're trying to address a specific issue like a knee, back or foot problem the only person I'd recommend would be Andy Pruitt in Boulder. For a very good "basic" fitting I'd give Ari Bronzstein at Bespoke Cycles(formerly at City Cycles)in the city a try.

1+ for the guys at Bespoke Cycles.
http://bespokecyclessf.com/

Ari, Stefan and Aaron are good guys, great fitters, trustworthy wrenches, and have good taste in beer.

-s

rspecker
10-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Serotta has chronically poor representation in Palo Alto area which is surprising given the high number of riders, and at least some of that population has $$$ for spendy bikes--never have understood why Serotta doesn't fix this.

I Want Sachs?
10-16-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/aboutframes_e.html for ebisu

Shaw's Lightweight cycles for Serotta

Palo Alto bicycle, ask for Adam

Velo Tech, ask for mark

Steelman is around

If you want one of the best customized fit and builder, Steve Rex in Sacramento.
http://rexcycles.com/home.html

z. beeblebrox
10-16-2008, 12:04 PM

I went to velo city bicycles in winters, ca. Got fitted by Mike (I think that what his name is) for an innerlight custom frame. Got my frame and I love it.

bruced
10-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Christopher Kautz at PK Cycling in Fairfax (Marin County) is outstanding.

He fitted my bike and resolved a knee problem that had bothered me for 25 years (including years of racing). The pain completely disappeared and has not reappeared in the three years since my fitting with Christopher.

Subsequently, I sent 5 friends to him and all have been very happy with the results. In each instance, they had injuries that were resolved through Christopher's superb bike fitting skills.

Christopher teaches at the Serotta Fit School.

You can find his contact information in the list of Serotta dealers on the Serotta web site.