PDA

View Full Version : A Dating Dilema

Bill Bove
11-06-2004, 05:41 PM
O.K. I'm not sure what to do here. A friend who I rarely see dated a women last winter. I met them twice, once while riding, she is attractive, smart, has a good job, owns her own home and wants to buy a bike from my shop (a pink one to boot). I ran into her last week while volunteering for the Kerry campaign. Should I ask her out? How long is a decent interval between a friend breaking up with a women and you moving in?

By the way Sandy, she has two adopted dogs.

Kevin
11-06-2004, 05:45 PM
A and C. You are no longer in high school. Date her.

Kevin

Smiley
11-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Give her a PRO deal on the pink bike ( by the way I think this is her way of saying she digs you Mr MANgenta ) , and go for it dude . Life is too short to wonder what if anyway . You said she liked to ride right so what's taking you so long to make the move.

Ken Robb
11-06-2004, 06:10 PM
he dated her last winter???????????? That's ancient history..Go for it---and nice job on the campaign :-)

M_A_Martin
11-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Let me put this as a woman who men have avoided dating because someone they know dated her and they don't want to offend him:

Oh for Pete's sake Bill, Find the ladder to the gutter and get your butt up there and ask her out!

A friend you rarely see: That would be an aquaintance wouldn't it? If you lived in the same spot all your life and avoided dating anyone who knew anyone you knew you'd be pretty dang lonely wouldn't you? If you hadn't run into them the twice before, you'd have no idea she dated him now would you. If your buddy is her ancient history...its her history...not yours.

Word to the wise: Don't give her a pro deal on the bike. Discount sure...but not much more than your average customer. You don't want her to date you just 'cause she can get her bike stuff from you cheap do you? (I've seen it done before...crappy, but women do do that) And you don't want her to think that the bike comes with um...."strings" attached. That makes things weird.

There...was that enough of a lecture?

Go Bill Go! :p

RABikes2
11-06-2004, 07:06 PM
From a woman's perspective...GO FOR IT, Bill. ;) Have a wonderful time. :)

I agree with Mary Ann about the bike deal; discount, yes, nothing more. I work part-time in my bike shop, I've seen it happen, too.

You haven't called her yet? ;)

Smiley
11-06-2004, 08:05 PM
I'll date you Bill for a Pro deal :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2004, 08:13 PM
“A friend you rarely see: That would be an aquaintance wouldn't it?“

I think Mary Ann has pretty well hit the ‘ole dating nail on the head. Go ask her out before I drive down there and do it myself. I’m sure she would like yellow . . . ;)

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Don’t date Smiley. He kisses and tells--or at least, so I’ve HEARD! ;) ;)

BBDave

slowgoing
11-06-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd talk to the guy if only to find out the scoop about what went wrong between them. :)

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Now THAT’s devious! ;)

BBDave

Louis
11-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Bill,

I voted A (and JFK), but if you decide against doing it you can always introduce her to me...

Louis

Sandy
11-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Don't be angry with me Bill. The two adopted dogs pushed me over the edge. She really is more attractive than I thought. We are adopting a third dog, and plan on being married in December. You probably will be invited- If so, I think a free pink Ottrott ST would be a great gift for her. Maybe another Ottrott for me. :)

I have a small dilemma. How do I avoid Gloria finding out about my second wife?? :)

Actual advice- Go for it!!! There is no ethical consideration, since they broke up, and not just recently. Besides, she adopted 2 dogs, and that probably means that she has a caring sensitive nature. Hopefully, if you get together permanently, you will adopt me.

Do it!! Invite me and Gloria to the wedding!!!

Dandy Sandy

Andreu
11-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Cervantes maybe but anyway it doesn't matter. Go for it
see: http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/fainth2.html
for an interesting take on this quote.
A
Buen suerte

M_A_Martin
11-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Ya know Slowgoing ...why start out with a slanted view of things? Keep an open mind and prepare for an adventure.

If she agrees to go out with Bill, and Bill starts dating her, and she turns into MS. B...or she goes on and on about what went wrong with the buddy...then personally...Well...actually if she did that... *I* just wouldn't go out with her again (fortunately I don't date women...so Bill is safe from me asking for her number). Even if he did ask the buddy he won't have the truth as in those situations everyone paints themselves in the best light and the other person in the worst light. *And* this would put him in the situation he wants to avoid anyhow...awkwardness with his buddy.

Or, how about if the buddy and she still talk and the buddy tells her that Bill was asking "What's wrong with this chick". That'll put ole Bill on the NO list in a hurry.

Of course, after Bill finds out that she's adopted two attack Rotties to eat ex boyfriends and that's why he hasn't seen his buddy in so long...well...then it will be too late.

:banana:

Yeah...smiley's a bike tramp.

MadRocketSci
11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
I see many are not up to date on the "code"...get with the program guys :)
Case closed.

The Man Code

1. Thou shall not rent the movie Chocolat.

2. Under no circumstances may two men share an umbrella.

3. Any man who brings a camera to a bachelor party may be legally killed and eaten by his fellow partygoers.

4. When you are queried by a buddy's wife, girlfriend, mother, father, priest, shrink, dentist, accountant, or dog walker, you need not and should not provide any useful information whatsoever as to his whereabouts. You are permitted to deny his very existence.

5. Unless he murdered someone in your immediate family, you must bail a friend out of jail within 12 hours.

6. You may exaggerate any anecdote told in a bar by 50 percent without recrimination; beyond that, anyone within earshot is allowed to call B.S. (Exception: When trying to pick up a woman, the allowable exaggeration rate rises to 400 percent.)

7. If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off-limits forever.

8. The minimum amount of time you have to wait for another guy who's running late is five minutes. For a woman, you are required to wait 10 minutes for every point of hotness she scores on the classic 1-10 scale.

9. *****ing about the brand of free beer in a buddy's refrigerator is forbidden. You may gripe if the temperature is unsuitable.

10. No man is ever required to buy a birthday present for another man. In fact, even remembering a friend's birthday is strictly optional and slightly gay.

11. Agreeing to distract the ugly friend of a hot babe your buddy is trying to hook up with is your legal duty. Should you get carried away with your good deed and end up together, your pal is forbidden to speak of it, even at your bachelor party.

12. Before dating a buddy's ex, you are required to ask his permission and he, in return, is required to grant it.

13. Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated as spies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to pick a buffalo wing clean.

14. If a man's zipper is down, that's his problem --- you didn't see nothin'.

15. The universal compensation for buddies who help you move is beer.

16. A man must never own a cat or like his girlfriend's cat.

17. Your girlfriend must bond with your buddy's girlfriends within 30 minutes of meeting them. You are not required to make nice with her gal pal's significant others --- low-level sports bonding is all the law requires.

18. When stumbling upon other guys watching a sports event, you may always ask the score of the game in progress, but you may never ask who's playing.

19. When your girlfriend/wife expresses a desire to fix her whiny friend up with your pal, you may give her the go-ahead only if you'll be able to warn your buddy and give him time prepare excuses about joining the priesthood.

20. It is permissible to consume a fruity drink only when you're sunning on a tropical beach ... and it's delivered by a topless supermodel ... and it's free.

21. Unless you're in prison, never fight naked.

22. A man in the company of a hot, suggestively dressed woman must remain sober enough to fight.

23. If a buddy is outnumbered, outmanned, or too drunk to fight, you must jump into the fight. Exception: If within the last 24 hours his actions have caused you to think, "What this guy needs is a good ***-whoopin'." Then you may sit back and enjoy.

24. Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of pizza, but not both. That's just plain mean.

25. If you compliment a guy on his six-pack, you better be referring to his beer.

26. Never talk to a man in the bathroom.

27. If a buddy is already singing along to a song in the car, you may not join him...too gay. (Exception: This is allowed if you are both drunk and it is any song sung by a heavy metal band. Not one of those ballads though.)

28. Before allowing a drunken friend to cheat on his girl, you must attempt one intervention. If he is able to get on his feet, look you in the eye, and deliver a "F*** off!" you are absolved of your responsibility. :argue:

M_A_Martin
11-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Madrocketsci.

You're obviously using an outdated code.

Number 12 was rescinded because it was far too touchy-feely for the true males who live by the code. Some men suspect a female spy inserted that rule as it is far too feminine for a manly man to follow.

12. If a buddy dumps his hot girlfriend, and does not call you to go out to the bar with him to "get over" the relationship and pick up new chicks, you may date the hottie without asking your buddies permission. He didn't ask you if it was ok to dump her, you don't have to ask him if you can pick her up.

Along with number 20 as men do not "sun" themselves.
It has been altered:
It is permissible to drink fruity drinks if on an island in a tiki bar and the drink is free. The exception to the free drink rule is if the man is in a bar where they know the bartender pours them significantly stronger than the standard fruity drink quota.

So..you might want to check the version of the code you're using. Who knows what errors you're making!

slowgoing
11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
"Before dating a buddy's ex, you are required to ask his permission and he, in return, is required to grant it."

That's for democrats. This guy's a republican. Invite him out for a night with the guys, buy him a drink or six, and pump him for info on the chicky without revealing your motives. Even if the information is jaded, it still worth the time, price and effort, especially if you avoided a bad situation BYTHATMUCH.

Too Tall
11-08-2004, 07:11 AM
"12. Before dating a buddy's ex, you are required to ask his permission and he, in return, is required to grant it. "

M.R.S. - EXACTLY!

M.A.M. Love yah babe but you don't have the chromosomes to interpret this one. It goes like this....the woman in this case may or may not workout and male bonds trump. This one's universal and any guy who viloates it is a weasel....even if it is lame....it's tha rulz and with out rules, well we have MODERN POLITICS. Please excuse me, small siezure...medicating now.

M_A_Martin
11-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Yeah, sure...speaking of modern politics...

You guys who keep telling him that he shouldn't do that haven't voted!
What's up with that?

So you're telling me that my single bike buddies who know quite a few single cycling females who they say they'd like to date 'cause they're "cool chicks" and "hot" but are still complaining that they can't find someone to date are in that fix because the woman has dated someone they know and they haven't worked up the nerve to ask the previous "boyfriend" (who at times may have only gone out for two dates with the girl) if its ok if they date these women?

93legendti
11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
O.K. I'm not sure what to do here. A friend who I rarely see dated a women last winter. I met them twice, once while riding, she is attractive, smart, has a good job, owns her own home and wants to buy a bike from my shop (a pink one to boot). I ran into her last week while volunteering for the Kerry campaign. Should I ask her out? How long is a decent interval between a friend breaking up with a women and you moving in?

By the way Sandy, she has two adopted dogs.

Ask the friend first. As Kerry supporters, you will have 4 years to comfort each other... :D

Andreu
11-08-2004, 08:11 AM
gets to reading the rules and faffing around the woman will be with someone else or worse back with the republican (or was he a publican?).
Get to it Bill.
Rules are there to be broken!
I like my girlfriends cat.
A :beer:

93legendti
11-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Democrats need to learn the golden rule: Treat others the way you would want to be treated (not the way Ben Affleck would act). Would you want to be asked first?

William
11-08-2004, 08:21 AM
A view from an Independent: ;)

Friend:
Hey _____, I was thinking of asking _____ out on a date. I just wanted to check with you and make sure there wasn't still something going there. You sure? You're ok with my asking? Alright, thanks man.

Acquaintance:
Depends. Someone who I hang and/or converse with occasionally and I like them, see above.

Don't really know them or care for them, I'd ask ask her out and then play dumb if he had a problem with it.

Stranger:Ask her out my man.

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Perhaps you could educate me as to where these cycling single females are who are "cool chicks" and "hot" ? . . . . Perhaps I could move there?

On the group rides I've been on around here the cast of characters tend to be small and the "usual suspects" show up with distressing regularity. At least, they did last year. This year I pretty much eschewed group rides for precisely that reason.

BBdave

Climb01742
11-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Ask the friend first. As Kerry supporters, you will have 4 years to comfort each other... :D

this may be the only thing 93legend and i may ever agee on :beer: but he's right, i think...ask your buddy first. ;)

93legendti
11-08-2004, 09:18 AM
this may be the only thing 93legend and i may ever agee on :beer: but he's right, i think...ask your buddy first. ;)

Please don't assume we don't agree on anything...unless you are pro life; pro NRA and in favor of the death penalty...then you would be right we don't agree on anything! :D

Climb01742
11-08-2004, 09:30 AM
wow...maybe we were separated at birth. :banana:

weisan
11-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Listen to the ladies' advice...and no more visitations to www.drunkcyclist.com. :p

Tom
11-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Hit the other guy over the head with a club. Then, woo her.

Note that I did not say drag her off into your cave but to ask her out... we have made a little progress as a species but, alas, maybe not enough.

Too Tall
11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
This is a good one.

You have guys who are interested and know the rules. (Have a beer bro)
Guys who are interested, don't ask ARE weasels. (Have a beer bro)
Guys who are interested but for some reason don't do squat and complain they can't get a date? (Get me a beer bro)

Geeze, they shoot horses don't they?

spiderman
11-08-2004, 10:41 AM
when and where
the engagement celebration ride will occur...
...we'll all turn out
with bells and whistles for your matching bikes...
first things first, though
...enjoy the bright sunlight
and joyful surroundings
you'll experience
as you climb the dating ladder...
...i second the motion
for not checking out why things didn't work...
...no need for bias...
...searching for a reason to hold back...
...that would defeat you
before you even get started...

MadRocketSci
11-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Madrocketsci.
You're obviously using an outdated code.
call me old school.
Number 12 was rescinded because it was far too touchy-feely for the true males who live by the code. Some men suspect a female spy inserted that rule as it is far too feminine for a manly man to follow.
The "old" #12 is just to start things civil. Manly men are still civil. The code is to say that you're not purposely trying to step on your buddy's balls. HOWEVER, if the code is not adhered to, you are free to stomp away. It's like bombing Libya...to be civil you ask France to use their airspace. They're supposed to say yes. If they don't you are free to just go around them and have Sam Kinison make fun of them afterwards.
12. If a buddy dumps his hot girlfriend, and does not call you to go out to the bar with him to "get over" the relationship and pick up new chicks, you may date the hottie without asking your buddies permission. He didn't ask you if it was ok to dump her, you don't have to ask him if you can pick her up.
manly men don't have to "get over" anything except having to shoot their rabid dog when they were 13. this is obviously the female spy version.
Along with number 20 as men do not "sun" themselves.
It has been altered:
It is permissible to drink fruity drinks if on an island in a tiki bar and the drink is free. The exception to the free drink rule is if the man is in a bar where they know the bartender pours them significantly stronger than the standard fruity drink quota.
We do too "sun" ourselves. We fall asleep outside without a shirt when there isn't a game on. It goes without saying that no sunscreen is used. There is no reason for fruity drinks unless there's a good chance to nail a supermodel...topless is just a "good start." Tiki bars are slightly gay. another obvious attempt at infiltration. you ain't foolin no one! :no:
So..you might want to check the version of the code you're using. Who knows what errors you're making!
I hate my girlfriend's cat...i'll always know it's the right thing to do...
p.s. this post is not meant to imply that i had a good wednesday last week... :crap:

:)