PDA

View Full Version : I Had A Louis Moment

Peter P.
10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I went for a ride yesterday and was reminded of Louis' predicament of a couple days ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=51135

I took my mountain bike out for what I planned to be an hour, considering the shorter daylight. I was on the trail on the return leg in the waning light where, despite airing my tires before the ride, I got a rear flat.

I instantly thought of Louis-"it's getting dark; should I just ride home on the flat?" I laughed and proceeded to change the tube but DOH!; when stuffing the seat bag on my bike I forgot my tire levers. After fumbling with my multi-tool for a bit, I tried using a stick but merely broke it in the rim. Then I used my quick release lever, which got me what I needed.

Except, after changing the tube, my pump wasn't filling the tire-POS! No, actually my tube was leaking big time, so I had to remove the faulty spare tube and put in my other one, and no one was holding up the sun for me.

I had flashing lights on the bike so I wasn't too bad off, and I made it home in reasonable shape. You think Louis is spreading bad luck on the forum?

Sandy
10-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Oh My! Oh My! We have a Louis virus among us. Scarey. Very scarey indeed. :)

So Scared Serotta Sandy

Louis
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I guess from now on any flat that takes place late in the day can be blamed on me :D

Quick-release as tire lever - there's a MacGyver moment for you. Glad it worked out.

Ken Robb
10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I had a similar experience a few years ago. I so rarely get flats that my spare tubes are in my seat bag for a long time. After many miles being bounced around in the bag while I rode trails it had worn through rubbing on the fabric of the bag so when I needed it I was SOL. I had a patch kit so I fixed the one I had been riding on--lucky me. My spares now ride in baggies.